USA ZTE New Devices by Years End

jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2018 9:13PM in Rumor Mill

According to Jeff, the USA will get some sort of new ZTE device before the year is out, but no idea if it will be low end, mid range, or high end.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/ZTE-plans-to-launch-one-or-more-phones-in-the-U.S.-before-the-end-of-the-year_id108387

No devices through carriers for now. Which is proof it sounds like those relationships are messed up since the ban issue. Wonder how long it will take to repair those.

Comments

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    According to Jeff, the USA will get some sort of new ZTE device before the year is out, but no idea if it will be low end, mid range, or high end.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/ZTE-plans-to-launch-one-or-more-phones-in-the-U.S.-before-the-end-of-the-year_id108387

No devices through carriers for now. Which is proof it sounds like those relationships are messed up since the ban issue. Wonder how long it will take to repair those.

No doubt the carriers are leery. Especially since the government is telling people not to purchase from ZTE or Huawei. Time will tell if they can repair those situations or not. In the meantime, Oneplus is making the most of their opportunity with T-Mobile.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

One Plus getting into T-Mobile is a good move. Poor Huawei. When asked at IFA this week about Mate 20 launch in the USA, one of their execs said that since their carrier deals fell apart, they haven't decided if they will launch it here. Selling it only through Amazon, Newegg, etc only moves small quantities, so it may not be worth the effort with the US Govt breathing down their necks.

ZTE I suspect is in the same boat. Of course, whatever this device is they are releasing will be sold through ZTEUSA.com, but not very many people will go looking to shop for devices there. The Axon 7 display at Best Buy was a joke in most stores. Tucked away off to the side. So will be interesting to see what kind of marketing they can get with this device coming up.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

According to a similar article from Cnet on phones from Ifa in general. They did mention that they interviewed Jeff and he said he would have a new phone for the US later this year. But He did say it won't be as high end as the Axon 9 Pro. More like a midrange device I think. We'll see.

Jeff's comments to Cnet. If it's a budget device,, I expect something in the Blade series:

_Now that the ban has been lifted, ZTE has resumed its R&D and marketing efforts. The company's new flagship phone, the Axon 9 Pro, won't launch in the US, but ZTE plans to introduce a phone in the country "shortly," said Jeff Yee, vice president of product marketing and strategy at ZTE Mobile Devices. That device won't be as high-end as the Axon 9 Pro, he said, falling in line with the company's largely budget reputation in the US.

"We never left the US, but we do have to re-evaluate our plans," Yee said Thursday in an interview at IFA. "We do have to build back the trust of the consumer. But certainly the US is a priority."_

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 504 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hope that his comments about the US still being a priority are true.

@jasonscarter said:
    Jeff's comments to Cnet. If it's a budget device,, I expect something in the Blade series:

_Now that the ban has been lifted, ZTE has resumed its R&D and marketing efforts. The company's new flagship phone, the Axon 9 Pro, won't launch in the US, but ZTE plans to introduce a phone in the country "shortly," said Jeff Yee, vice president of product marketing and strategy at ZTE Mobile Devices. That device won't be as high-end as the Axon 9 Pro, he said, falling in line with the company's largely budget reputation in the US.

"We never left the US, but we do have to re-evaluate our plans," Yee said Thursday in an interview at IFA. "We do have to build back the trust of the consumer. But certainly the US is a priority."_

We'll know soon enough how serious they are with whatever device they bring to market.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018 12:32PM

If there is no Flagship A7 successor in the US as much as I liked my A7, as it is ailing, I may have to look elsewhere when money permits. If the Oreo Update when/if it hits the Axon7 whether it be one of the rumored times like sometime in september as an example and even though it may not fix everything hopefully it will fix enough to make it last longer even if that update and security fix is the last update this phone will ever have until I can ford something else or confirm no ZTE Flagships are heading to the US again. The only other phones I would look at would be the 1 plus 6 which I don't like the fact that it has no expandable memory and a lower resolution screen than my A7, and if I considered one with huge internal memory to make up for lack of a SD card, I wouldn't as it would bed way out of my price range for a phone. Might as well buy a Samsung or LG which I don't want. Then there is the One+ 6+. We'll see what that is whenever they announce it outside of T-Mobile whenever that is, then there is the Asus 5Z. In the US they only have the 6 gig of ram version with 64 Gig internal. It is not much more than what I have now and I have not filled it and it can take a bigger SD card. Negatives are lack of some modern features like Wireless Charging etc (not that I am not used to not having some of those features with the older A7), and it is a lower resolution glas (non Oled) screen vs. the A7 screen. But what I heard, as not as good Glas screens are, they still look good and I can't tell a difference, plus they make the battery last longer. My only other reservation is their lack of community like this one, and I heard unlike ZTE and One Plus and even Sony (Which is out of my price range), they are ok with reported bug fixes, but not that good with security or Android updates. So we'll see. Then there is their ROG phone. But even though no pricing has been listed yet, rumor in the US is, that it may be out of my price range close to $1000, even though it has some of the specs of the Zenphone 5Z which is the cheapest of all of them. So we'll see.

Just one last thought, even if I end up switching phone manufactures as my Daily Driver eventually, because I have to, I will still have my A7 as ailing as it is for a backup, plus none of the phones on my list mentioned as well as the new A9 Pro or any future phone released in the US that I would buy is Daydream capable. VR is not a fad but it is not a focus for phones like it was as you noticed VR was not mentioned in the last launches of LG and Samsung phones, and no idea if Google will even do anything with Daydream when they launch the Pixel 3 whenever they do this year. As I have paid for some Daydream games, and I use some of the apps, until my A7 isn't even useable for that, besides using it as a backup phone, I will have it as a Daydream machine if you will for my V1 Daydream View as long as the phone allows.

Anyone want to take a guess? I am throwing in that it may be the ZTE Blade V9 (or a V9 variant). This device got held up with the ban, and it would fit into the mid-range/budget category.

My guess is something extreme budget like straight talk, Boost, or MetroPCS. An MVNO looking for a new budget device. That's seems to be ZTE's bread and butter.

Do u think even those smaller carriers are still on board with ZTE? A unlocked Blade Z series device could be another option.

@jasonscarter said:
    Do u think even those smaller carriers are still on board with ZTE? A unlocked Blade Z series device could be another option.

I have no clue. But since the Blade Z Max updated software this week I would say maybe?

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 703 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2018 5:53PM

Jeff just made this comment, hopefully the near future means this year 😉