** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    rym199 said:
    Hi everyone. I try to update but I saw error and installation was aborted.
    After that my Axon is die. Even power button and vol+ only vibra and red light bliks once.
    Any sugestions ? :/
    @rym199 ; I see you are in Poland.  Can you verify what model of Axon you have? A2017, A2017G, or A2017U? The update was only relase for the U model, that's why I ask.
  • rym199rym199 PolandPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭
    hollap said:
    rym199 said:
    Hi everyone. I try to update but I saw error and installation was aborted.
    After that my Axon is die. Even power button and vol+ only vibra and red light bliks once.
    Any sugestions ? :/
    @rym199 ; I see you are in Poland.  Can you verify what model of Axon you have? A2017, A2017G, or A2017U? The update was only relase for the U model, that's why I ask.

Anywhere I saw in telephone it was A2017 only, without U or G.
    I guess, my phone broken permanently ?

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,552 admin
    @rym199 Let's see if @DrakenFX can point you in the right direction. There is most likely info on XDA that will allow you to get back to where you need to be.
  • DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2018 4:38PM
    @rym199 , I have 2 questions :smile:

1. What happens when you try to charge your device ?

2. Which update were your installing?

Also this update is JUST FOR A2017U , and not for G or the model you have.

That's probably the reason why your device won't turn on, 

• rym199rym199 PolandPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Nothing. Black screen only, even no vibration. When I plug to PC there is a sound like new device detected (flash drive etc)
    2. Update A2017UV2.1.0B20.

So, Is there a chance to save my phone? I wish to update to 8.0 anyway.

rym199 said:
    1. Nothing. Black screen only, even no vibration. When I plug to PC there is a sound like new device detected (flash drive etc)
    2. Update A2017UV2.1.0B20.

So, Is there a chance to save my phone? I wish to update to 8.0 anyway.

Head over XDA and look for Axon 7 forum & flashing using EDL....

Just heads up, use only A2017 (Chinese model) or yoully always will end up brick.
  • cablemancableman NortheastPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im thinking of doing this update as im having some fingerprint scanner issues and a couple of other quirks where i think a factory reset could fix it anyway.
     Is backing it up to my google account enough? Or should i use weshare instead or both? 
    If i set up as new device, sign into google all my saved stuff will be there?
    How and should i do this partion wipe i read about?
    Thanks!
    Im still reading through this thread too!
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    cableman said:
    Im thinking of doing this update as im having some fingerprint scanner issues and a couple of other quirks where i think a factory reset could fix it anyway.
     Is backing it up to my google account enough? Or should i use weshare instead or both? 
    If i set up as new device, sign into google all my saved stuff will be there?
    How and should i do this partion wipe i read about?
    Thanks!
    Im still reading through this thread too!
    Backing up to your google account does not ensures full backup. Typically, your contacts and some app data, phone settings maybe backed up if you have them enabled. Your pictures and video often are not backed up unless you have them enabled using Photos. 

Depending on what kind of stuff that you want to backup/restore, If it is something critical, I would still suggest you to have two version of backup just to be safe (or at least verify it is backed up before you proceed wiping the device). Weshare is a neat tool to do that and it is easy to use as well. 

A lot of app actually stores data in the cloud so you may not need to back them up. Instead, you can just download them from the playstore after you setup your phone and just log into your account and everything should be there. 
    As long as data saved on the phone, they will be erased. If they are saved in the cloud, then you can access them. 

For wiping the partition: You would boot into recovery-->With the phone fully powered down-->press the power button and volume up button-->when the screen lights up, let go of the power button. Once you are in the recovery, use volume up and down to navigate and power button to select. Go to "wipe cache partition". 
    rym199 said:
    It works ! I use update with EDL mode + 8.0 Oreo :) Thank you so much !
    Glad you Resurrected you device, always remember to use software/OS for your device model and you always will be fine.
  • cablemancableman NortheastPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭
    samsamha said:
    Backing up to your google account does not ensures full backup. Typically, your contacts and some app data, phone settings maybe backed up if you have them enabled. Your pictures and video often are not backed up unless you have them enabled using Photos. 

Depending on what kind of stuff that you want to backup/restore, If it is something critical, I would still suggest you to have two version of backup just to be safe (or at least verify it is backed up before you proceed wiping the device). Weshare is a neat tool to do that and it is easy to use as well. 

A lot of app actually stores data in the cloud so you may not need to back them up. Instead, you can just download them from the playstore after you setup your phone and just log into your account and everything should be there. 
    As long as data saved on the phone, they will be erased. If they are saved in the cloud, then you can access them. 

For wiping the partition: You would boot into recovery-->With the phone fully powered down-->press the power button and volume up button-->when the screen lights up, let go of the power button. Once you are in the recovery, use volume up and down to navigate and power button to select. Go to "wipe cache partition". 
    Thankyou! I will look into this more once i get some free time from my house projects that are overwhelming me!

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How is it that the G model got Oreo via OTA and the U version we had to wipe our device?
  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    acatrus said:
    How is it that the G model got Oreo via OTA and the U version we had to wipe our device?
    You must not keep up with the political scene between the USA and China's ZTE.
  • gads1gads1 Posts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 5:57PM
    Hello -- while I appreciate the somewhat dubious "wipe all" release, can we expect regular OTA security updates  for Oreo following the process described in post?  
    My co-worker (who owns a Pixel2) is constantly giving me grief about ZTE phone and fact they don't regularly update their software for the google Android security updates .. released monthly.     Yes -- I understand ZTE as company was in hot water with US blah ..blah.  I suggest before skirting embargo, ZTE wasn't great about security updates. 
    At least my test OnePlus6 has received 2-3 security updates since purchase (three months ago).

Unsure if ZTE will be better or worse on incorporating and releasing Android  security updates going forward.   In addition, if this new OREO release won't include OTA security updates, then it's time to toss the Axon7. 
    Why would the trade war with US/China has anything to do with OTA update?
  • adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    gads1 said:
    Hello -- while I appreciate the somewhat dubious "wipe all" release, can we expect regular OTA security updates  for Oreo following the process described in post?  
    My co-worker (who owns a Pixel2) is constantly giving me grief about ZTE phone and fact they don't regularly update their software for the google Android security updates .. released monthly.     Yes -- I understand ZTE as company was in hot water with US blah ..blah.  I suggest before skirting embargo, ZTE wasn't great about security updates. 
    At least my test OnePlus6 has received 2-3 security updates since purchase (three months ago).

Unsure if ZTE will be better or worse on incorporating and releasing Android  security updates going forward.   In addition, if this new OREO release won't include OTA security updates, then it's time to toss the Axon7. 
    Maybe the obsession with security updates spoils lots of people from enjoyong their smartphones.
  • a7lexa7lex ClevelandPosts: 49 ✭✭✭✭
    adrb said:
    gads1 said:

Maybe the obsession with security updates spoils lots of people from enjoyong their smartphones.
    The obsession with security updates is completely lost on me. Will stay with Android 7. I am absolutely not interested in debugging Android 8 on Axon 7.
  • gattbgattb Voorhees, NJPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭
    My two year old Axon 7 still works, but the battery life has been getting shorter and the phone itself just hasn't been as fast as it used to be. With most new flagship phones priced over $1,000 and none able to compete with Axon 7's speakers and design IMHO, I decided it would be worth keeping a while longer. I started by replacing the battery with an OEM replacement I found on eBay complete with tools for $11.99. I never replaced the battery in a phone with a non user replaceable battery before but by following instructions I found on a Youtube video the process took about 40 minutes. Next, I found ZTE's Oreo update. I downloaded the zip file and followed the instructions here and on another Youtube video. Thirty minutes later, I had what seems like a completely new phone. It now easily gets through an entire day without recharging and is much faster. I couldn't be happier. Thank you ZTE.
    gattb said:
    My two year old Axon 7 still works, but the battery life has been getting shorter and the phone itself just hasn't been as fast as it used to be. ...
     You likely already aware but just in case.  You can do "advance replacement" via ZTE support -- phone doesn't need to be under warranty -- and replacement refurb phone is $79.     I've done this three times (twice under support, one not).
    the advance replacement includes two charges:  (a) a VISA hold for ~~ $400 to cover phone itself, and (b) $79 for out of warranty fix.   Once you receive phone, you print out provided fedex label and return your phone (so the $400 charge doesn't become permanent).

This is a way to get around the battery issue(s) likely due to battery 2+ years old.   we've had better battery luck with the replacements.

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2018 9:54PM
    anyone know if the A7 will get updated security soon? or a future ota at all? 
    Oh and yeah, cell signal is worse now lol
    Unless somebody say something different, they are done with the A7.
  • fbvilelafbvilela BrazilPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I have the A2017U B35 and it doesn´t show any available update. Was it delivered to all A2017U models?
  • GeeknLonelyGeeknLonely ChilePosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fbvilela said:
    I have the A2017U B35 and it doesn´t show any available update. Was it delivered to all A2017U models?
    It's not an OTA update, you need to download the file from the support page and follow the instructions from the 1st post
    acatrus said:
    Unless somebody say something different, they are done with the A7.
    Which is one of the major reasons I'm not going to chance upgrading to Oreo when I have a perfectly good working version of Nougat on my A7 Premium.  I don't want to chance putting Oreo on my phone and start having problems that will never get fixed.
    edited November 6, 2018 4:37PM
    If curious, I did the OREO (ie. android v8) upgrade on extra 2017U I had lying around (for backup).   here are some screenshots of results.
  • buybuydandavisbuybuydandavis Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 7:32PM
    lmayle said:
    Hi, will there be another update to support Daydream with Oreo?
    Just wondering what is the plan on this.
    Same.

I bought the Axon 7 specifically because it was one of the first phones to support DayDream.

My phone is getting increasingly flakey in terms of speed and responsiveness.
    lmayle said:
    Same.

I bought the Axon 7 specifically because it was one of the first phones to support DayDream.

Someone else in this thread has said that this Oreo release is the last thing ZTE will be doing for the Axon 7.  I tend to agree with them.  So if you upgrade to Oreo and run into problems you're stuck with it.
  • GeeknLonelyGeeknLonely ChilePosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone else in this thread has said that this Oreo release is the last thing ZTE will be doing for the Axon 7.  I tend to agree with them.  So if you upgrade to Oreo and run into problems you're stuck with it.
    No, you are NOT, you can always go back to Nougat with the B35
    edited November 8, 2018 10:55AM
    lmayle said:
    Same.

Keep in mind the Nougat is now TWO major releases old so I suggest that it's imperative that ZTE get this Oreo release right.    this is why I was asking if ZTE was planning for ongoing OTA releases to incorporate security and BUG fixes.    I really don't want to run the absolute bleeding edge (PIE), but I suggest that having a stable release OREO platform is reasonable expectation.   If this OREO release is a one-off with no future maturity, then I suggest to stick with Nougat until you get a different phone for the daily use.
    From my testing of OREO on 2017U Axon7, the new Material design UI is nice.  I plan to test and verify the awful, well documented in PIXEL forums, Bluetooth bugs from Nougat 7.0.1 are fixed. 
  • rasalonrasalon Customer Service/PC Technician United StatesPosts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Until I hear a official word from ZTE we'll see what happens. Whether A7 will get 8.1 or a newer version of 8.0 as a bug fix release, maybe adding Daydream support back or at least a newer security patch. I doubt the A7 will get 9.0 Pie. As I am sure ZTE is working on a US variant of the A9/A9 Pro to come out at some point or a A10, I am sure to keep the US users whom are still using a ZTE A7 like me as their main daily driver still happy, I could be wrong but I doubt ZTE would leave the A7 as is. But again as I started this comment, until I/we here anything from ZTE officially going either way, I refuse to make any assumptions. All I can say is we'll see.