** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

191011121315»

Comments

• DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    klev said:
    Dunka said:
    Both of the phone and contacts apps are AOSP versions 
    im not sure. Thats what i thought about the messaging app but its not AOSP. It doesnt have a way to connect to the web version
    I believe you are confusing " Messages " for phone and contacts, 

"Messages" is been my go messenger app since they added that feature.

• klevklev Posts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DrakenFX said:
    klev said:
    Dunka said:
    Both of the phone and contacts apps are AOSP versions 
    im not sure. Thats what i thought about the messaging app but its not AOSP. It doesnt have a way to connect to the web version
    I believe you are confusing " Messages " for phone and contacts, 

"Messages" is been my go messenger app since they added that feature.

Nope not confusing. I know that they are 3 diff apps. I had to download 'Messages' app since the default one isnt the same as AOSP. And i think phone and contacts are the similarly not AOSP. Though 'Phone' is not compatible. I was able to download 'Contacts'. I just wish i was able to get the 'Phone' app
  • GeeknLonelyGeeknLonely ChilePosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wiseman13 said:
    Is that the original battery? At the two year mark mine was doing that under the last OS us. I replaced the battery and have not had the issue again.
    Where did you get the battery from? I've beening looking of a replacement online, but only found the HSABat and an original looking on Ali Express, but online reviews are not good.
  • gads1gads1 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wiseman13 said:
    Is that the original battery? At the two year mark mine was doing that under the last OS us. I replaced the battery and have not had the issue again.
    Where did you get the battery from? I've beening looking of a replacement online, but only found the HSABat and an original looking on Ali Express, but online reviews are not good.
    while you can get battery for $10-20, the swap not exactly quick and easy with potential for damage (trying to unstick the battery from chassis without damaging screen/digitizer, etc.).

a reminder you can get a reman replacement for $79 direct from ZTE using Advance Replacement.   magic (and time is money).
  • 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 400 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @DrakenFX the computer recognizes the Axon 7 via ADB but it isn't recognized as a fastboot device. It always ends up saying "awaiting device". Another weird thing is that when I try and use adb to boot into the bootloader, it just restarts my device.

Am I doing something wrong? While I've rooted 2 devices before, it has always been through instructions and some amount of trial and error so I'm still not very good at it.

Thanks!
    gads1 said:

a reminder you can get a reman replacement for $79 direct from ZTE using Advance Replacement.   magic (and time is money).
    How much time would it take? I'm traveling to Atlanta next year, for 2 weeks, and it may be my only chance to do the replacement (Since I don't live in the U.S.
  • martinbowlsmartinbowls Anapolis, Goiás Brazil, South AmericaPosts: 75 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live in Brazil and sent my phone back for a replacement.   I sent it to a friend who then forwarded it to ZTE who then sent it back to my friend.    That friend then sent it to a hotel where I had another friend and they brought it back for me.    It only took about 10 days turnaround from friend to ZTE to friend.

• ednilsonbhednilsonbh United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    SD update option does not work.

In Recovery mode, when you select Update by SD, the Phone simply shuts off.
    So I can not proceed with the update!
  • alferalfer Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got myself the new OnePlus 6T and may let my youngest use the Axon for gaming.
  • cf07cf07 CanadaPosts: 130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect Oreo is a poison cookie.
    Just got a Mi box. 3..For TV.  Their Oreo update destroyed the box.

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how do you get wifi calling to work again? man this thing is glitchy 
  • DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick said:
    As far my understanding go, WFC only works with T-Mobile.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 440 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick said:

I finally got it working again with Mintsim. I had to go into wifi and have the A7 forget my wifi networks. Then I turned wifi off. I rebooted the A7 then turned wifi back on. After that I searched for new networks and I was able to connect to my regular wifi network. Then after turning on wifi calling on the A7 it magically started working again. I have no idea how long it will last but for now it's working.
    ram1220 said:
    maverick said:

I finally got it working again with Mintsim. I had to go into wifi and have the A7 forget my wifi networks. Then I turned wifi off. I rebooted the A7 then turned wifi back on. After that I searched for new networks and I was able to connect to my regular wifi network. Then after turning on wifi calling on the A7 it magically started working again. I have no idea how long it will last but for now it's working.

Ok guess i'll try that then though I shouldn't have to... I also noticed that when i get a call my phone gets booted from lte to 4g fo ra moment. the handoff is absolutely **** too. Oh and fun fact for you, I have ringtones set. i have the volume up. my phone is apparently vibrate only anyway lol 
    it seems when my phone goes to sleep at night while plugged in or not it disconnects from wifi and data... why is that? 
  • razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick said:
    it seems when my phone goes to sleep at night while plugged in or not it disconnects from wifi and data... why is that? 

Go into your WiFi settings, then scroll down to WiFi preferences, and make sure the option to always keep WiFi on is enabled.

maverick said:
    Check if you have a Power-saver scheduled, that feature disconnects Wi-Fi and Data
  • sbisbi Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2018 8:17PM
    razor512 said:
    maverick said:

Go into your WiFi settings, then scroll down to WiFi preferences, and make sure the option to always keep WiFi on is enabled.

yeah thats all set on.. 

GeeknLonely said:
    maverick said:
    Check if you have a Power-saver scheduled, that feature disconnects Wi-Fi and Data
    Yep thats not an issue plus it was on the charger. 

• chuckbortchuckbort United StatesPosts: 496 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    alfer said:
    Just got myself the new OnePlus 6T and may let my youngest use the Axon for gaming.
    I love my 6T!
    Wasn't there suppose to be another OTA update after you do the SD Card update to 8.0?
  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked one up on Amazon, but they are out of stock now.

GeeknLonely said:
    wiseman13 said:

sbi said:
    Wasn't there suppose to be another OTA update after you do the SD Card update to 8.0?
    not that i know of.... 
  • Nope, sorry.
    Daydream, Fingerprint Unlock, and especially Hiya in this age of rampant scam calls are all deal-breakers for me. Guess I'll be enjoying Nougat for a little while longer.
    talynwuff said:
    Nope, sorry.
    Daydream, Fingerprint Unlock, and especially Hiya in this age of rampant scam calls are all deal-breakers for me. Guess I'll be enjoying Nougat for a little while longer.
    what about? yeah daydream is gone. the fingerprint reader still works just as good. as for hiya i think they have a new thing incorporated into the phone app. I get calls on mine and it'll say "likely scam" o rsomething like that so i just cancel it. the update isnt that bad. better than before though
    edited December 8, 2018 1:31PM
    So I took the bite and upgraded. First few impressions:

1. Not impressed, not for the better nor for the worse. A little disappointed that it's 8.0 and not 8.01. I was also under the impression that we should be getting OTA once the SD Card update is done.
    2. I think I am getting a better battery life, granted I didn't install all my previous apps yet.
    3. Extremely annoying (didn't have that before, not at this rate): every 5 minutes or so I am getting "App X used more power than expected". Super PITA and I can't seem to get rid of this crap unless I force stop the app which of course is stupid.
  • CTFBCTFB United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I found lots to love in the 8.0 update.  App tile notifications, closer to a pure Android distribution, and all the other enhancements that comes with 8.  Unfortunately, there's issues with USB connectivity that are a showstopper for me.  I use Android Auto a lot and whenever a USB cable is attached the phone prompts for the type of connection but the prompt disappears quickly and is unresponsive even if I quick to type the MTP option.  The phone keeps rapidly flipping between installing driver and charging.

The workaround that worked for me is to go into developer settings and set the USB connection mode before connecting the USB cable.  This works but only one time and I have to revisit the setting each time I'm plugging in the cable. Reference this post on Google's forums: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-auto/bM_a57CZQfs

Android Auto has other audio inconsistencies.  No prompt when a text message is received and if I'm playing audio from Google Music and a call comes in the audio lowers are it's supposed too but then doesn't go back up after the call is complete.  If another call comes in, the audio level will return to normal after the end of the call.  This patterns repeats after each call received.

Sadly, it looks like 8.1 is where most of the issue from 8 are resolved, especially for Android Auto.  I'm headed back to Nougat w/ Microsoft Launcher to help fill in some of the feature gaps.

My Axon 7 is great otherwise and I'll jump right back to 8.x if another update is released that addresses these issues.
    edited December 10, 2018 9:20PM

any chance we'll get another update along with security update and any chance that update will possibly improve signal strength? 

Those who put lineage on it any betteR? 
  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The more I read this thread the more I'm grateful I did not "upgrade" to Oreo.  I just knew there would be problems that will never get addressed.  The question is one of perception.  Would ZTE have been perceived worse if they had not kept their Oreo update promise or will they be perceived badly because of the unresolved Oreo issues people are complaining about?  I suppose most people will just move on to another brand.  I know I will.
  • gads1gads1 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2018 11:40AM
    The more I read this thread the more I'm grateful I did not "upgrade" to Oreo.  I just knew there would be problems that will never get addressed.  The question is one of perception.  Would ZTE have been perceived worse if they had not kept their Oreo update promise or will they be perceived badly because of the unresolved Oreo issues....
    This circles back to my original comment on this Oreo thread:   will Oreo on Axon7 get OTA updates (once installed)?   Security and ongoing bug resolution is important.   Many folks on thread gave me snarky comments essentially "why should you care about that...?". 
    There have been numerous op-ed articles written about mobile phone devices and how the hardware itself is somewhat ubiquitous and that the true value and usefulness of device comes down to software.  Ie.  worrying about whether you have a Snapdragon 820 vs 845 is wasted cycles and irrelevant if vendor doesn't provide ongoing TLC to software.
    specific to other phones:  I have two co-workers that have OnePlus 6 and 6T and both love them.   I moved to a LG L7 ThinQ (from 2-3 years with Axon7) and have been pleasantly surprised.

personally, since ZTE isn't providing any obviously ongoing TLC to Axon7, I wish they would put some resources (or funding) behind an open source on XDA developer project for the phone .. like Lineage.

best wishes with new/different phone.