** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

Comments

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok well that sucks. I hate having a device only last 2 years max.... A7 had such potential. Well thanks for a great audio device. 
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @maverick most phone (Samsung, LG. 1+, etc.) companies don't do updates past two years. Even if they don't come out with a new device. 2 years is the norm in the industry with a 1 year basic MFGW. For ZTE  to have a 2 year MFGW with ADH coverage was awesome. I know it has been a rough year for ZTE USA and ZTE in General. That is why there has not been a flagship ZTE device for the USA  since the A7, etc. However, we'll see if ZTE brings something out this year. I know some people have moved on to their mid tier Blade series etc. As for me I know ZTE is working on something. What is it? we'll see. Maybe they'll announce something at Mobile World Congress at the end of Feb. in Spain? All I'll say is even with no further software updates, I'll hold off as long as I can to get something else, but if ZTE doesn't even announce that they are working on a new Flagship phone device for the USA, even if it doesn't release until later in the year like the A7 did, I will still be a member here, post here, have my A7 as a backup device in case my next Flagship phone is in the shop (LOL Hope not), but I may have to switch phone companies. Shame. But I understand Business is Business and for ZTE in the USA, Mid Tear is where the market is right now.
  • GeeknLonelyGeeknLonely ChilePosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick said:
    ok well that sucks. I hate having a device only last 2 years max.... A7 had such potential. Well thanks for a great audio device. 
    Before the A7 I had an Alcatel Pop Idol 3, lasted 9 months. and as rasalon said, the norm is 2 years of support for big updates, even the Android One phones only get 2 big updates straight from google
  • alferalfer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point I just couldn't trust ZTE enough to invest in anymore of their devices.

I do miss my A7 but due to glitches that the last update created, the phone just isn't functional anymore. It really was an amazing phone when it first came out.
  • gads1gads1 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick said:
    Before the A7 I had an Alcatel Pop Idol 3, lasted 9 months. and as rasalon said, the norm is 2 years of support for big updates, even the Android One phones only get 2 big updates straight from google

honestly, I suggest it was a dumb move for ZTE to burn any cycles on this Oreo release without any follow-on software/bug fixes.   nothing is perfect with a 1.0 release.
    I suggest that best they could have done would be to provide official support of ROM thread on xda-developers and let others try to assist.
  • lifer99lifer99 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    Going back to Nougat. Oreo was cool looking but I could never get my T-Mobile and Verizon sims to coexist as well in Oreo as they did in Nougat.
  • 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 1:24AM
    Honestly, if people are up for it, I would suggest switching to LOS. That way you're device would be up to date and it would be much more functional I'm currently running LOS, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. If you guys want to switch to One Plus or whatever other Flagship phone (which I am considering doing) because you can't wait for the next Axon device or whatever the next Flagship Device from ZTE to be available in North America for whatever reason (in my case my A7 has some HW issues not worth repairing). Then that is up to you. ZTE could have prevented the whole thing with the US Government, but that doesn't matter. We are where we are. ZTE and the ZTE forum users that went to CES this year said that ZTE will release new phones this year including new a new Axon at least. No specifics were said as far as time frame or if they are for the USA. Hopefully we will finally see a Axon 7 Flagship replacement in the USA and if that happens and I have moved on the a One plus or something else by then because I unfortunately could not wait, then so be it. But I will still be a member and post here. The only thing Oneplus has over ZTE is 0 issues with North America. Even though the company and it's parent company that only sells Blu-Ray players in the USA at least, isn't even in the news or the US government radar like ZTE and especially Huawei are. So Oneplus phones unlike ZTE and Huawei are not banned as far as I know from being used by military personnel, government employees or to be sold at stores where those people shop.

When the A7 and Mini came out, the plan was supported for 2 years and even though the ZTE version of Android for the US initially needed work I think, because of the customizations, you had to wait for ZTE to fix stuff, add features and security updates. This was going on impressively regularly. Until the problems with licensing and the US Government. At the time 8.0 for the A7 and possibly the Mini was in final testing and then never released beyond the testers because of the ban. Then when the ban was listed, at least for the regular A7, ZTE scrambled to keep a promise that they would update the A7 to 8.0 at least. I bet if the ban didn't happen, I bet9 and this is just a guess) the A7 and Mini would have been on 8.0 as early as possibly April and may have gotten 1 or 2 more security updates/bug fixes or even more. Who knows. Maybe ZTE could have pushed 8.1, but I was definitely not expecting 9.0 on my A7. But I knew that the next ZTE device flagship A7 replacement would have it. Other than the Axon M, ZTE didn't release a regular Axon in 2017 and because of the ban in 2018 the A9Pro never made it to North America. So even though just like Huawei the US Government doesn't trust ZTE and stores/carriers are not selling any new ZTE phones (prepaid etc.), So I know nobody is saying official or not, but I hope ZTE has something cool up it's sleeve for North America this year which just started. I personally can't wait, but besides saving money for a new personal device, I am going to wait at least till after Mobile World Congress at the end of Feb. to see who is announcing what including ZTE if anything and not that the one Plus 6+ or 6 isn't still supported but I know the One Plus 7 is around the corner in the spring with probably a 7t later this year. So if ZTE announces a A7 replacement for North America by the time I want/or need to upgrade this year, great. I am probably buying it. But if not, then when I need a replacement for whatever replaces my A7 because I can't wait, then I'll get whatever ZTE has then as a A7 replacement if available. Huawei and ZTE phones like the A9 PRO still get Awesome reviews from Places like PC Mag, CNET, and websites like Android Authority despite not  being available in North America. Like the Huawei P20, or the A9 pro, or the Honor (Huawei sub brand) phone, or the ZTE sub brand Nubia (which is rumored to actual bring it's1st phone to North America in it's gaming phone: The Red Magic Mars, in the 1st quarter we'll see). If I do switch to a different branded phone like One Plus and I end up liking it, I am not a I have moved on see you person. I will still be here posting and even if I like whatever brand not to switch back then that is more of a reason to post here. To make the ZTE brand and phones better.

I know brands like one plus said they may do security updates on their phones for an extra year after the 2 year updates stopped. Again no idea what the technical reasons are, but one plus on allot of their phones support Google's project treble (look it up), and for some reason at least on the 8.0 A7 build, ZTE does not. So that maybe a reason why One Plus can say they can do an extra year of security updates. Who knows. All I know is that even as reports of people keeping their cell phones longer these days and not upgrading as much for whatever reason, unlike a computer where depending on the computer HW can be easily upgradeable, Smart Phones are not that way. You can't add on new features or get the latest software without slowing your smart phone down. So until Smart/cell phones become as easily HW upgradeable like computers are, in my opinion I say 2 years is about right. If your phones is working like brand new and you don't want to upgrade because you don't care about having the latest or spend the money to buy something more current, that is up to you. Phone's don't disable, but some features or apps, may not work or at least work well on older OS's as apps get updated and unlike aos , you probably would want the latest version of a Application you are using on your device.

I am done ranting for now. LOL. Thanks for reading.
  • 14blank40 said:
    Honestly, if people are up for it, I would suggest switching to LOS. That way you're device would be up to date and it would be much more functional I'm currently running LOS, so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
    I am considering LOS - do I lose any functionality when switching to LOS?  (camera, play store, etc)  How about Daydream - does everything work correctly?  (I have read many Daydream games/apps do not turn on the "stereo" vision with LOS - not sure if this also applies to the A7)  You mention with LOS the phone is more functional - in what way?

Thanks.
    edited January 27, 2019 1:41AM
    bmacto said:
    14blank40 said:
    I am considering LOS - do I lose any functionality when switching to LOS?  (camera, play store, etc)  How about Daydream - does everything work correctly?  (I have read many Daydream games/apps do not turn on the "stereo" vision with LOS - not sure if this also applies to the A7)  You mention with LOS the phone is more functional - in what way?

Thanks.
    So far the only functionality I would say I've lost is that Dolby Atmos isn't installed on your phone and so far I haven't been able to install it any other way. I will say that the built-in equalizer does work very well. For Google apps and camera you can just download Gapps (make sure to do so after flashing los but before reboot) which will add play store functionality to your phone so that's not an issue. As for apps not working correctly, it may be because those people have rooted their device and those apps don't run on rooted device. Good news is that your phone won't be rooted on LOS unless you choose to, and even if you do there are work-arounds. As for extra functionality I would say that things that seem kinda broken on the stock 8.0 update (e.g. screen brightness not adjustable, other weird and annoying quirks) are completely functional in LOS. Although I have yet to test it out, connection, for me seems to be slightly better and more stable on LOS than on stock. Overall it's been a smoother experience. On top of all that, the Axon 7 is an officially supported device which means it gets updates daily for bug fixes and improvements. 

Edit: @bmacto
  • abeldjassiabeldjassi Guinea-BissauPosts: 2 ✭✭
    What's the difference between A2017 and A2017U and can I use this update on A2017.....thanks
  • samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the difference between A2017 and A2017U and can I use this update on A2017.....thanks
    The A2017 is the US version while the A2017U is the China version of the phone. You cannot use the rom/software of one version on a different phone since there maybe hardware difference. Installing incorrect rom/software could leads to bricked (non-working) phone. 
    14blank40 said:
    I'm not tech enough to do the flash. probably foul it up somehow lol but i'm willing to look into it an dtry. I saw you said it loses atmos which i guess is ok but the only thing this device has going for it is the audio. Is the move to lineage fairly easy? Oh and any chance lineage helps improve connectivity and handoff? (i still have little to no service at home lol)
  • GeeknLonelyGeeknLonely ChilePosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭
    samsamha said:
    The A2017 is the US version while the A2017U is the China version of the phone. You cannot use the rom/software of one version on a different phone since there maybe hardware difference. Installing incorrect rom/software could leads to bricked (non-working) phone. 
    Wrong A2017U is the US version, check it on your phone. I know the european version is the A2017G, but don't know if the A2017 is the chinese version.
    samsamha said:
    Wrong A2017U is the US version, check it on your phone. I know the european version is the A2017G, but don't know if the A2017 is the chinese version.
    you are right, @GeeknLonely ! I got the two models mixed up. The A2017U is the US model whereas the A2017 is the Chinese version and the A2017G is the global model. Sorry for the mistake. 

In any cases, the software/rom are not compatible. 
    edited February 1, 2019 11:29PM
    maverick said:
    14blank40 said:
    I'm not tech enough to do the flash. probably foul it up somehow lol but i'm willing to look into it an dtry. I saw you said it loses atmos which i guess is ok but the only thing this device has going for it is the audio. Is the move to lineage fairly easy? Oh and any chance lineage helps improve connectivity and handoff? (i still have little to no service at home lol)
    Sorry for the late response, the only way that I know of flashing LOS is by flashing B35 Nougat (or lower). After that go to: https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/tool-axon7toolkit-t3573108/amp/ 
    And use the toolkit to install ADB as well as unlock the bootloader. Once you've done that, use: https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/unofficial-lineageos-15-1-zte-axon-7-t3800214/amp/ 
    To first download the latest TWRP, and fastboot flash it to your device. Follow the instructions in order after that, and you'll be fine. Just a warning that your phone might say that it's compromised or something like that, but I can assure you it's fine. As for connection, it seems more stable and better on los but I have found 3g to have a better signal strength in stock and los. 

Edit: @maverick I know it's vague, but if you have any questions or concerns I'll be more than happy to go over the process with you.
    14blank40 said:
    maverick said:
    14blank40 said:
    Sorry for the late response, the only way that I know of flashing LOS is by flashing B35 Nougat (or lower). After that go to: https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/tool-axon7toolkit-t3573108/amp/ 
    And use the toolkit to install ADB as well as unlock the bootloader. Once you've done that, use: https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/unofficial-lineageos-15-1-zte-axon-7-t3800214/amp/ 
    To first download the latest TWRP, and fastboot flash it to your device. Follow the instructions in order after that, and you'll be fine. Just a warning that your phone might say that it's compromised or something like that, but I can assure you it's fine. As for connection, it seems more stable and better on los but I have found 3g to have a better signal strength in stock and los. 

Edit: @maverick I know it's vague, but if you have any questions or concerns I'll be more than happy to go over the process with you.
    Ahhh Thanks I'll try that. I have to go down a step then try it. Might nto be worth the stress lol. I'll see.

You have any idea why its disconnected all antenna at night? It's as if b/c its asleep for a while it disconnects but I had already turned of all the settings in it and didnt change then i did something with wifi where i went in, put it to disconnect when asleep, got out, then went back in and set it to always on and it worked. now for some reason its disconnecting again and when i wake up the second i touch the phone it blows up with all the notifications.. I guess thats kind of good actually
    maverick said:
    14blank40 said:
    maverick said:
    14blank40 said:

Ahhh Thanks I'll try that. I have to go down a step then try it. Might nto be worth the stress lol. I'll see.

You have any idea why its disconnected all antenna at night? It's as if b/c its asleep for a while it disconnects but I had already turned of all the settings in it and didnt change then i did something with wifi where i went in, put it to disconnect when asleep, got out, then went back in and set it to always on and it worked. now for some reason its disconnecting again and when i wake up the second i touch the phone it blows up with all the notifications.. I guess thats kind of good actually
    I'm not completely sure but my guess is that even if you turn off settings, Doze mode takes over (if your device remains inactive for a long while) to help conserve power.
  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the current political climate between the U.S. and China I would not dare to sink any money into Chinese devices right now.  You could find yourself with banned merchandise.  
    @14blank40 yeah I didnt even think of the doze thing. good lookin' out

• cf07cf07 CanadaPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZtE should have a pinned thread about planned updates and status on models they are selling. 
    I just want security uodates on my Axon 7mini. 

• alferalfer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already said here in this thread that the Axon 7's won't get any new updates, ever.
  • sbisbi Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭
    14blank40 said:
    Pardon my ignorance but what is LOS?
  • sbisbi Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else having issues with Google Voice not "picking" up when set to be used for international calls? I set Google Voice so that all International calls go through it. It didn't work, or work occasionally, I didn't notice, and received a hefty bill from T-Mobile for international calls through the network.
    sbi said:
    14blank40 said:
    Pardon my ignorance but what is LOS?
    LOS is lineage OS, a custom ROM.
    sbi said:
    Anyone else having issues with Google Voice not "picking" up when set to be used for international calls? I set Google Voice so that all International calls go through it. It didn't work, or work occasionally, I didn't notice, and received a hefty bill from T-Mobile for international calls through the network.
    I have not notice this. I am not sure how you are using google voice to make international calls but when I am trying to make international call, I  dial my google voice number from the dialer, enter the pin, then dial the number. I have also used hangout directly making international call without issue (though I did not have google voice set as my default number). 
  • clearNETclearNET CanadaPosts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2019 5:11PM
    Hello guys!

Quick question for you all.

I just picked a mint ZTE Axon 7 (ordered a replacement battery off Amazon and will install this weekend) apart from that...what an awesome device....also picked up a ZTE Axon M...cool device but I kind of like the Axon 7 better!!!

I had a few questions about the upgrade/downgrade path

If I was to update to the official ZTE oreo 8.0 version, if I don't like it...can I always just go back to 7.1.1 official A2017UV1.1.0B35 correct??  just by downloading from the zte community links here correct?

Yeah, I know I can even get newer unofficial builds for 8.1 ....but don't want to deal with unlocking the BL and all that stuff...happy with stock whenever possible :)

Apart from losing daydream and the ZTE toolkit (which I found useful), am I losing anything else...most of the talks here seem to centre around daydream and people having issues with android auto which won't effect me.

Does it still have the ZTE locker (I like the auto changing wallpapers) as well does it retain any of the ZTE Mi-Pop and gestures feature and lastly how about the ZTE MyVoice app/features?

Thanks in advance guys!

@clearNET

-the B35 built can be found on ZTE's website so you can download it and flash it using SD card if you decided to go back to 7.1.1. 

--8.0 is more close to the stock android so many of the ZTE MiFlavor functions has been removed. So you will  remove most of the ZTE customization (don't recall anything that in particular that I would say I find it essential. I think 3 fingers to take a screenshot is the one that I missed the most as I find it useful. You will also loose my voice (but you can always just use Google now as replacement). As you also noticed daydream is missing. 

--ZTE locker is unfortunately not on Oreo since it is part of the Miflavor (you are correct it's a nice feature to automatically update the lockscreen wallpaper). 

--Mi pop is there. 
  • clearNETclearNET CanadaPosts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 9:34PM

Do you guys think there's any truth to this?

there's currently a new thread on one of the ZTE Axon 7 forums on the XDA site, indicating not all Axon 7 updates are done and there is still ongoing development?

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/daydream-axon-7-development-ongoing-t3902082

Would be awesome if there was one more update of Oreo to iron out any final bugs and bring daydream support back!

One can hope... fingers crossed :)

• doubleddoubled IndianapolisPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

Hello all, thinking about doing the Oreo upgrade but I really like Dolby Atmos, is this still an issue with the upgrade? I don't use any of the zte modification and daydream is not important to me. Any other issues I should look out for?