** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

Comments

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to try this tomorrow when I have time to mess with it. One last day on Nougat. Give me time to back everything up LOL. I will make a new post if all goes well or if I have any questions beyond what I have already posted here. I have a 128GB SD card installed. Plenty of space on root for the zip file. I hope all goes well as this is still the only Cell Phone I use and have so if something meses up, I am ...... So I hope not.
  • castanetcastanet Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it fine to put the update.zip on the internal sdcard to perform this update (as it was for previous updates), or is it mandatory to use an external sdcard ?
  • teet1teet1 United StatesPosts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    castanet said:
    Is it fine to put the update.zip on the internal sdcard to perform this update (as it was for previous updates), or is it mandatory to use an external sdcard ?
    It's mandatory to use an external SD card unless you can get adb sideload to work
  • klevklev Posts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not able to set fingerprint unlock to work, it still asks for pin.
  • dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Took a few minutes to get the update downloaded and installed before I go to Bike Fest here in Vegas. I am loving the update so far. The A7 is much faster amd smoother for me. We shall see if any issues arise. Thank You ZTE!!
  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    klev said:
    Not able to set fingerprint unlock to work, it still asks for pin.
    I was able to setup fingerprint reading after the update without issue.
  • LoaizaDanielsLoaizaDaniels Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • anurag1212anurag1212 Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭
    How do i get the battery percentage to show?
  • dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How do i get the battery percentage to show?
    @anurag1212 go into Power manager in the main settings and click on the gear symbol in the upper right corner. 
  • maverickmaverick NJPosts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    wow ... not going so smoothly huh? Curious, is WeShare thats on the phone now, not supported after this debacle might work? is it not on 8? I need to save texts among other things for legal reasons but taking screen shots of everything wont work. if I use WeShare, to backup, reformat, then install update, besides the multiple problems people have mentioned in this thread will i be unable to restore texts and data? I've noticed app backups have never restored data, like settings or save points. 
  • DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick said:
    wow ... not going so smoothly huh? Curious, is WeShare thats on the phone now, not supported after this debacle might work? is it not on 8? I need to save texts among other things for legal reasons but taking screen shots of everything wont work. if I use WeShare, to backup, reformat, then install update, besides the multiple problems people have mentioned in this thread will i be unable to restore texts and data? I've noticed app backups have never restored data, like settings or save points. 

Z-Backup is the new Weshare, any Weshare backup is compatible with Z-Backup.
  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
     Too many issues being reported here including phones being bricked. I'm staying on Nougat. Not going to chance it.
  • maverickmaverick NJPosts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    DrakenFX said:
    maverick said:

Z-Backup is the new Weshare, any Weshare backup is compatible with Z-Backup.
    Ok so that would be on the device after the update then. Ok. I hope it backs up everything. Last time i factory reset it didtn save any settings or game saves
  • martinbowlsmartinbowls Anapolis, Goiás Brazil, South AmericaPosts: 80 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything worked fine on the update, but do we erase the zip file from our memory card or does it stay there?
  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to erase the file of your SD card
    I don't have any major problem, but a few minor since the update;

Can't disable stock ZTE apps - Would have prefer to wipe them and use Google one instead, like Dialer
    Stock Weather Apps can't find my location. Play Store Accuweather work fine

Phone is faster and snappier, but this may be due to the Factory Reset rather than Oreo
    Battery seems optimized
    Did not test camera, is it better?
  • sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,017 admin
    acatrus said:
    I don't have any major problem, but a few minor since the update;

Can't disable stock ZTE apps - Would have prefer to wipe them and use Google one instead, like Dialer
    Stock Weather Apps can't find my location. Play Store Accuweather work fine

Phone is faster and snappier, but this may be due to the Factory Reset rather than Oreo
    Battery seems optimized
    Did not test camera, is it better?
    Keep in mind this is ZTE's version of Stock+ Android. There has to be some differeciation between Google's Stock Android and the one ZTE releases. 
    I know and I am not really complaining. It's just that I would have prefered that the user is given a choice.

The "major" drawback I have right now is the weather app not working. Because the widget is useless. Also the widget serve as a shortcut to other App, like Clock and Calendar, but I don't use those.

Still, Oreo is great on this phone. I would have liked to have a final version of Oreo, like 8.1 and a more recent Security update, but it will extend a bit the life of my Axon7.

For the upcoming Axon (9 Pro maybe) in the USA/Canada, ZTE should stick to pure Android, and let Google to the big work on the update (Essential can do it) and security patch. ZTE should focus on hardware and design.
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything worked fine on the update, but do we erase the zip file from our memory card or does it stay there?
    Once you have successfully updated, you can delete the file from your sd card. 
  • Marcus262Marcus262 United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭
    wiseman13 said:
    Any chance of OTA security updates in the future?
    As I understand it Oreo allows Google to directly send updates without involving the phone manufacturers.  
  • anl123anl123 Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭
    DrakenFX said:
    anl123 said:
    It's recommended after finishing from installing SD card, do a "wibe data/factory reset" & "wibe cash partition" ? 

That wontw be necessary , the Oreo package takes care of that.
    Thanks, but what if I want doing that?, when I will do the format? Directly After finishing from the SD card installation? Or after boot complete and going to recovery mode again?
    And I need to do "wibe cash partition" or just "wibe data/factory reset" ? 
  • teet1teet1 United StatesPosts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anl123 said:
    DrakenFX said:
    anl123 said:
    It's recommended after finishing from installing SD card, do a "wibe data/factory reset" & "wibe cash partition" ? 

That wontw be necessary , the Oreo package takes care of that.
    Thanks, but what if I want doing that?, when I will do the format? Directly After finishing from the SD card installation? Or after boot complete and going to recovery mode again?
    And I need to do "wibe cash partition" or just "wibe data/factory reset" ? 
    The update package does that for you already. All you need to do is follow the instructions in the first post. Applying the update wipes everything for you
  • whatnot27whatnot27 New Hampshire, USAPosts: 6 ✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 7:36PM
    I had the update go fine, I thought, now my primary camera will not focus.  The front facing camera works fine.  Never had this issue before.  I've tried reinstalling, going back to B35, reinstalling again, and the camera will not focus now in either B35 or B20.  Very, very frustrated.  The camera is not usable as is...any help, please?  My warranty expired two months ago.  Is anyone else having focusing issues?
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 8:31PM
    acatrus said:
    I know and I am not really complaining. It's just that I would have prefered that the user is given a choice.

The "major" drawback I have right now is the weather app not working. Because the widget is useless. Also the widget serve as a shortcut to other App, like Clock and Calendar, but I don't use those.

Still, Oreo is great on this phone. I would have liked to have a final version of Oreo, like 8.1 and a more recent Security update, but it will extend a bit the life of my Axon7.

For the upcoming Axon (9 Pro maybe) in the USA/Canada, ZTE should stick to pure Android, and let Google to the big work on the update (Essential can do it) and security patch. ZTE should focus on hardware and design.
    I think we can all appreciate that, but this id ZTE not Google. Most phone makers put their own spin on the default apps etc. If you want Stock, get a Google Pixel phone. If you want the stock apps, Google has them available for download in the play store separately. Now you can't disable the ZTE stuff or uninstall it (Maybe as Root) but you can once downloaded, set the Google stuff as your defaults over the ZTE stuff. I don't think the Google Pixel like ZTE'S stock plus allows you to hide apps from your app drawer, but If you have the Google stuff downloaded as your default apps, you can just ignore them; and if those apps just being listed in your app drawer bother you that much, you can always use a third party launcher that allows you to hide apps from your app drawer.
  • nasikkar19nasikkar19 Posts: 2 ✭✭✭
    Please can anyone tell me will this work on A2017G current version 1.0.0B11??? please please please
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Please can anyone tell me will this work on A2017G current version 1.0.0B11??? please please please
    hi, this only works with US variant of the Axon 7 and not the global variant. 
  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Marcus262 said:
    wiseman13 said:
    Any chance of OTA security updates in the future?
    As I understand it Oreo allows Google to directly send updates without involving the phone manufacturers.  
    Not quite. This does not have project trebble or A/B partitioning.
  • chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    chuckbort said:
    sshasan said:
    chuckbort said:
    sshasan said:
    chuckbort said:
    sshasan said:
    chuckbort said:
    I went through the process and my phone  Then I got some sort of message and now I can't reboot. It just stays on the splash screen. I am able to get back to the boot menu, but it says my SD card isn't mounted. 
    I'm not sure what to try next  
    Take the SD Card out if you haven't already, then hold down the power button and see if you can get a reboot.

Then try again.
    It still won't boot past the splash screen.
    Can you wipe the device from the boot menu and try again?
    Tried with no success. 
    Try holding all the buttons down at the same time.

If this doesn't work, let the battery die and then plug it in for 10-15 minutes and it should power back on normally. 
    No luck with the three buttons so I will just let it drain. It was at 100% to we will see how long that takes. 
    Ran the battery tried and then plugged it in again. Still getting the same thing, won't boot part the splash screen. 
    I can get into the boot menu but nothing there seems to help  
  • das1996das1996 Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    chuckbort said:
    Ran the battery tried and then plugged it in again. Still getting the same thing, won't boot part the splash screen. 
    I can get into the boot menu but nothing there seems to help  
    Sounds like you'll need to use some sort of recovery.  Time to head over to xda and explore the EDL or DFU (I think it's called dfu) methods.  I've used the former before, it works well.