** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

Comments

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice update! The phone is smooth and everything works  perfectly, AND the new camera software is much better! (Even the new Dolby Atmos demo is nicer!) 

This should make it much easier to sell this phone as I've long since moved on to the OnePlus 6.
  • jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be sticking with Nougat for the next few weeks/months at least.   My phone still works well and I have it set up pretty much exactly how I want.   If the migration was a seamless drop-in replacement similar to the move from Marshmallow to Nougat, I would have  dived in straight away.  However, I can't be bothered with going through the time-consuming, all app reinstallation and full migration hassle for no real significant benefit (to me). 

I use my phone primarily as a phone (calls and texts) and secondarily as a music & video player, calendar, email reader, web browser, notebook, camera and email reader.  Nougat allows me to do all of these with the desired speed and smoothness.

Can those of us who have decided to stick with Nougat (for the moment) expect a security update soon?

Does this Oreo implementation provide an on-screen navigation option? That's one of the features I want and have been requesting for ages.  If not, I may well stick with Android 7 until the phone is retired or that OS becomes unusable.

• teet1teet1 United StatesPosts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jazzi said:
    I'll be sticking with Nougat for the next few weeks/months at least.   My phone still works well and I have it set up pretty much exactly how I want.   If the migration was a seamless drop-in replacement similar to the move from Marshmallow to Nougat, I would have  dived in straight away.  However, I can't be bothered with going through the time-consuming, all app reinstallation and full migration hassle for no real significant benefit (to me). 

I use my phone primarily as a phone (calls and texts) and secondarily as a music & video player, calendar, email reader, web browser, notebook, camera and email reader.  Nougat allows me to do all of these with the desired speed and smoothness.

Can those of us who have decided to stick with Nougat (for the moment) expect a security update soon?

Does this Oreo implementation provide an on-screen navigation option? That's one of the features I want and have been requesting for ages.  If not, I may well stick with Android 7 until the phone is retired or that OS becomes unusable.

Honestly, seeing that they did not implement the latest security update on a brand new Android operating system version after many months of security updates available, I have no doubt that they will stop supporting Nougat
  • nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a non technie, I'm able to sideload the Oreo with out any hiccups. Thanks to ZTE team for the efforts. Hoping to see continued support to Axon 7
  • LoaizaDanielsLoaizaDaniels Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't try it out yet, my extreme bad connection seems to be the problem, but just in case, is there other file host containing the update file?
  • jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018 8:39AM
    teet1 said:

Honestly, seeing that they did not implement the latest security update on a brand new Android operating system version after many months of security updates available, I have no doubt that they will stop supporting Nougat
    Its not just the security update but the latest version of Oreo was not even provided.  Given that the Axon 7 is over 2 years old and there is another major version of Android (version 9, Pie) already available, I will not be surprised if this current implementation of Oreo receives little to no support from ZTE.

Thanks for the gesture though ZTE. 😊👏
  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jazzi said:

I agree with this assessment.  I probably won't take any chances on bricking my phone with this update.  I don't want to have to go thru the hassle of reinstalling everything from scratch.  Frankly, I can't believe that ZTE did this to us.  We have waited for months to get this update and it's not even OTA.  It's just been thrown over the wall as a SD card update.  I will wait for the dust to settle on this update before I take any chances.  I've learned my lesson over the years of being an early adopter of tech.
  • sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,897 admin
    ICYMI: We have a Fall Photo Contest running right now!

Don't forget to submit some photos after you've updated your Axon 7 for a chance to win prices!
  • ZhazhaelZhazhael PeruPosts: 1 ✭✭
    DrakenFX said:
    Nice to see Oreo update yayyy...

Users who don't have a SDCard, you can "SIDELOAD" the SDCard package using **adb** ,

SIDELOAD Steps
    * If you don't have adb installed, download from link below and install,
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

* download the sdcard package and move it to the folder where adb is located (this is if you didn't installed system-wide)
    * reboot to recovery
    * Select **Apply update from adb** (will show you which command to use to sideload the package)

e.g. of sideloading the package
    sideload C:/download/oreo_package.zip

There I'm sideloading the package located on download folder, 

NOTE: this varies from or how you install adb. 

sshasan dijo:
    lourocha dijo:
    Recibo una
    "E: Fallo en la verificación de la firma"
    "E: error: 21"

al intentar instalar en mi A2017U desde la tarjeta SDCARD.

¿Alguna ayuda?
    Si sigue las instrucciones paso a paso, su descarga podría estar dañada. Borre el archivo e intente descargar de nuevo.

Asegúrate de tener activada la depuración USB.

• sigma00015sigma00015 Somerville, AlabamaPosts: 10 ✭✭✭✭
    sshasan said:
    I got an error 0 / installation aborted when I tried it. Now the phone refuses to turn on. Any ideas?
    Were you able to get the device to turn back on? 

If not, take your SD Card out, hold down the power button for a little while and it should reboot.

Make sure you have enabled everything that is needed per instructions and try again.
    No. Nothing lights up, not even the power LED when I plug it in even with the SD card removed.
  • mazmanmazman Posts: 10 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway. Does the update support wifi calling on AT&T?
  • DunkaDunka United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭
    So far the only issue I'm having after the update is with Android Auto. It connects and disconnects repeatedly.  It doesn't connect until I go into developer options and enable MTP there. 
  • samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    mazman said:
    I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway. Does the update support wifi calling on AT&T?
    nope. Axon 7 only supports T-Mobile's Wifi calling. 
  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I put Google App to replace ZTE one. Last time Google Dialer would not install, did not test it with Oreo.
  • a7lexa7lex ClevelandPosts: 49 ✭✭✭✭
    Dunka said:
    So far the only issue I'm having after the update is with Android Auto. It connects and disconnects repeatedly.  It doesn't connect until I go into developer options and enable MTP there. 
    Android Auto is the main app for me. Any other users are having issues with Android Auto after Oreo update?
  • amd7674amd7674 CanadaPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭
    no major issues, other than pita of reinstalling everything.   Everything seems to be working just fine.   Had some trouble getting my android watch working with it, but I figure it out it (I had to factory reset the watch).

The only thing I'm a little disappointed is lack of support for google camera ...  Does anyone know if it is possible to install it?   I believe it is better than stock ZTE camera app.... 
  • DunkaDunka United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭
    a7lex said:
    Dunka said:
    Android Auto is the main app for me. Any other users are having issues with Android Auto after Oreo update?

Android Auto works but I have to go into developer options everytime before I plug it in
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018 3:09PM
    Update on my Update to 8.0 on my A7. Still installing Apps and setting up the phone. Not even Hiya is installed or even compatible. LOL. The actual Update went 100% fine. That warning during updating is a bit disconcerting, and when you go to restart the phone, the phone showing the ZTE powered by Android logo for a second then turning off is also a bit disconcerting, but turning the phone back on, no issues. I did the google backup thing, but otherwise a fresh install.

A few thoughts and things:
    1) No Daydream but Daydream services installed. Not the end of the world, but unless Daydream support is added on the next ZTE A7 replacement in the US, or if the A7 gets Daydream back on a future update if we have any, then I just I have a paperweight on my hands of a original Daydream View headset. LOL.

2 I am still setting the phone up, but the phone is definitely more stock than the stock option that came with the A7 originally, including all the OS over the air upgrades/updates before the ban happened earlier this year that halted updates for a while.

3) I forgot to, and temporarily forgot how to disable the "install new apps on my home screen" before reinstalling all my apps and games. LOL. No worries. I just have allot of apps to delete from my home screens. LOL.

4) I can't tell yet if the speakers sound any better than before, but I love the new Dolby Atoms settings interface and the new demo video that is in the Dolby Atmos settings is better.

5) The only non stock ZTE stuff I see is: MI-POP and Gesture settings in the settings screen, Changing the buttons on the bottom from left to right, The Lock Screen (same as on the older A7 builds), ZTE Backup which is basically a rebranded WeShare (Nice, I like that name better (Same icon)). Other than that no bloat noticed. Not even Facebook or Dropbox as far as I can tell was installed by default any more. No Hiya either.

6) Again I am still testing, so no idea if any of my charging/WiFi/Battery Draining issues are the same, or have improved etc. I'll post an update once I have used the phone for a while either way.

7) I have not found or if it is even installed the setting that the old ZTE A7 OS Stock had before where you could instead of a ringtone when a call came in, have the phone just say the caller ID out loud. I'll look for it, but if I can't find it and its is back to the old ring tone, so be it.

8) My phone even with all the OS updates before was relatively fast. Never really needed to reset m yphone ever until this upgrade to 8.0.0. Once I install and set up everything how I want it, I'll see if it is faster or not and report here as I have mentioned above.

9) After a while I changed from the default Stock Skin/Launcher to Nova Launcher. Why? Because I can (The Beauty of Android), also it had more customization features than stock, and it did at the time seam faster a bit than stock, I am still testing as I have said several times.If this new Stock+ is just as well I will just keep using it. There is no actual feature in Nova I care about that much that I would reinstall it just for that. The customize Icons/themes, the removal of apps listed from the app drawer without disabling any apps, and widget customization among other settings are just a bonus. But we'll see. If Stock+ is speedy enough and all is well, then great. Otherwise if I get bored with Stock+ LOL, I may switch back to Nova or even try something else. I'll let you know if I do in my update.

That is it. The rest is just resetting the A7 up how I want it, remembering my usernames and passwords to all my apps LOL, and testing to see if there is any improvement on anything. It may take me a week or so but once I have enough data and set my phone up again as I like it, I will make a new update post. I will say I am trying yo get used to the new gestures like swipe up for the app tray vs. a actual button on your desktop bottom dock tray. Nova Launcher had the option to enable this, but I never did because I was so used to the button. Now I have to get used to this and all these new Oreo Gestures. LOL. Ok enough feedback for now. Again I'll post a update after using this new OS enough after a while.

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If II have Google Backup enabled on my A7 Nougat and perform the SD card Oreo install, will I be able to restore my apps & settings after the phone comes back under Oreo?
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @birkbinnard. Your contacts will sync. Apps will have to be reinstalled, but Google will keep a list of all your apps. Paid or not so you do not have to search again and also, the play store will tell you which ones are incompatible with 8.0.0 build ZTE uses. So if need be, and if you have to, find a alternative app.
    It seems confirmed on XDA and Phone Arena, the Public Release B20 is the same build as the Beta.

So ZTE has given us an update that has the same bug.

The update has indeed given a boost to my A7, but with all the time they had, it's a disapointment it's not better.
  • Marcus262Marcus262 United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭
    If II have Google Backup enabled on my A7 Nougat and perform the SD card Oreo install, will I be able to restore my apps & settings after the phone comes back under Oreo?
    I thought I would be able to restore my A7 device backup once I updated my phone.  The update to Oreo went fine however the moment I setup the device it listed all my Android devices EXCEPT my A7!!  It's like my A7 Nougat never updated to the cloud!   Only thing I think happened is when the instructions stated to remove account from device before doing the Oreo update.  I think that action also removed the A7 device backup from the cloud.  There's no other explanation to why it disappeared.

I think for your sake, don't rely on the device's cloud backup.  Find a 3rd party backup app and backup everything to your computer or SD card.  Safer than what I'm going through right now.
    @acatrus, what bug are you referring to pleas so I can see if I can Duplicate it?

Update: Still can't tell anything yet but my phone did die. I do like the new Powered off Charging Screen. Has a clock now. Wish there was a way to change that clock to 12 hour. vs. 24 hour, but no biggie. More updates coming as a test as said in a previous post.
    People over the web claim that during Oreo testing, problem like Daydream not supported. Also on Reddit there were claim of connectivity problem and overheat problem. 

I didn't read about overheat, but some talked about wifi issue lately.

There were claim that the reason for a sideload through SD was an encryption issue not resolved.

Since I was not in the Beta can't judge,but this is what I have seen.

I'm still happy with the release, but I'm still hungry for more.

I hope a last update comes, OTA for Oreo, to polish a bit
  • gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018 9:43PM
    acatrus said:
    People over the web claim that during Oreo testing, problem like Daydream not supported. Also on Reddit there were claim of connectivity problem and overheat problem. 

I didn't read about overheat, but some talked about wifi issue lately.

There were claim that the reason for a sideload through SD was an encryption issue not resolved.

Since I was not in the Beta can't judge,but this is what I have seen.

I'm still happy with the release, but I'm still hungry for more.

I hope a last update comes, OTA for Oreo, to polish a bit
    A bit the same feeling for me, I've been kept up to date with the beta through a tester on Reddit, and I have to say that I'm really disappointed at how so little progress has been made since the beta program began. That said, I will remain on Nougat as I'm not in the mood to troubleshoot a beta software.
  • TGstringTGstring TorontoPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can anyone tell me if the ability to apply a custom ringtone to EACH contact for TEXT messages has been added? 
  • mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys all you had to do is read before you did this, and you would know that daydream is not supported, as it clearly says it right on this post. lol..I see all these post about it not working, or its gone.  Did you those people posting that it does not support it read anything before installing? lol
  • teet1teet1 United StatesPosts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys all you had to do is read before you did this, and you would know that daydream is not supported, as it clearly says it right on this post. lol..I see all these post about it not working, or its gone.  Did you those people posting that it does not support it read anything before installing? lol
    We know it's not supported. We're complaining that it isn't when it should be but ZTE decided not to fix it 
  • LoaizaDanielsLoaizaDaniels Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Installed. After a bit of a problem downloading the file, and a bad SD Card...

So far so good. Not big deals, for now. For example, cannot disable native apps like calendar and messages.

The overall performance seems to be ok. Still testing
    Update on my Update. 1st of all in the initial update notes for this release, it does say that Daydream is not supported for now. So even though I was somehow to get VR services installed, any apps that I downloaded for Daydream that didn't have a NON VR mode are now listed as non compatible as well as Daydream itself. Ia m sure Google Cardboard is ok as that works with any phone provided you have a compatible viewer which Daydream is not. No overheating issues, and other than WIFI being slower than usual, no disconnect issues yet, and nothing overheating yet. Now for the Updates. Again, still testing so I will update again once I have used it for a bit to continue setting it up.

1) As a user of Google's default apps, I can tell you that the Contacts App, The default SMS/MMS app are totally Google. Since there is no "Toolkit" the Calculator is the default Google one. YEA. The only customized default app I see is Calendar which is fine. I'll play with it and see if I end up downloading the straight Google one. I will tell you the Calendar app is better than the last one look wise. Also Hiya says it is not supported. Again I have not tested but be warned if there isn't any caller Spam thing like Hiay was installed. Also unless somebody knows where it is, I don't see the settings where you can have the phone say the caller ID over a ring tone for incoming calls. If anybody knows where that option is now, let me know, and Thanks. Otherwise, no worries,

2) I can not figure out how to disable apps from automatically adding to one of my home screens. If anybody knows how, please respond. It used to be a setting in the Play Store Settings, and then it was changed in Oreo to the Home Screen settings, but some launchers including this one Stock+ (Launcher3) doesn't have that option listed, So if anybody knows where this setting is, much appreciated.

3) I do like allot of the new settings. Still basic but better than it was. As examples: You can change how many icons are displayed on a page, and you can actually disable ZTE locker completely to just have a static screen, and if you choose to enable ZTE locker, no bell icon at all so no more option to hide notifications under a bell icon. There is more, but these are just examples. It's the little things. Again, still testing, but as for now I am sticking with Stock+ vs. moving back to Nova Launcher for the moment.

Again, I am still setting the phone up and testing. So far I have at least installed all my apps back. Still setting things up. Again as I have said I do like the off battery charging screen, like I said I wish I could change that clock to 12 hour but no worries.

Suggestions: I don't have really any. The only feature I am missing from Nova minus any theme customization is where you can hide apps from your list of apps in your app drawer. Again that, and the theming customizations that Nova has and that are not in Stock+ are not a deal breaker and not enough to make me go back to Nova currently.

Again I just need to figure out #2 mentioned here How to disable apps I install to automatically add to my home screen.

As far as Project Treble, newer security updates or even Android 8.1/9.x. If there is actually a A7 successor to come to the USA and they have the updates over this 2+ year old phone, I'd be fine with that. But if there is not, well.....

I do know that for me Quick Charging is still an issue (I think that is HW related relating to the battery or my charging port which seams to be pushed in a bit), still testing battery performance to see if it has improved since the 8.0 upgrade minus my battery being the original 2+ year old battery that came with the phone which at least before the 8.0 upgrade didn't last as long as it used to. Also my WIFI issues where a WIFI network will not stay connected and if I have more than one network in the area, my phone would auto switch between the networks having me re-login every time. Again I'll update here accordingly with another post once I finish setting up my phone and use it for a bit longer with 8.0 with Stock+.