** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

Comments

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @maverick
    not with Oreo, same goes with any Custom Rom base in Oreo.
  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    On a ZTE fan page on Facebook someone stated Android Auto work even better with Oreo.

One weird annoying bug I have found is that the phone don't remember I removed vibration on the keyboard.

After a reboot, the option is still grayed has it is removed, but the vibration is there. Putting it ON/OFF place it
  • sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,986 admin
    edited October 18, 2018 11:20PM
    acatrus In the system settings under ''Sound''  ---> Advanced did you also turn off ''Vibrate On Tap'' ? That might be what is still giving you the feedback.
  • klevklev Posts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sshasan said:
    nareshcn7 said:
    sshasan said:
    nareshcn7 For PIP are you picking your video, hitting the back button and then the recent apps buttons to view the consolidated window?
    Yes @sshasan but no luck. Picture is picture feature is only working for gmaps, although it is enabled for many apps like youtube, chrome, whatsapp etc. 
    I'm able to use it on YouTube, Chrome & Maps.

Maybe someone else can chime in to see if they are having the same issue.
    Dont use back button on youtube. That minimizes the video within the player. Use menu button
  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sshasan said:
    acatrus In the system settings under ''Sound''  ---> Advanced did you also turn off ''Vibrate On Tap'' ? That might be what is still giving you the feedback.
    That was not turned off, only under the Input keyboard.

Thanks will test it tomorrow
  • brunormc said:
    I would like to know if others are experiencing issues with Android Auto?????
    Generally only problems are posted here, so I would be grateful for a few nods that AA is working properly.  Thanks
    I updated to Android 8 and have no problems whatsoever with Android Auto.  The menu most people refer to did popup on the first connection (before I setup Android Auto on the phone).  But after going through the setup screen it has never reappeared.  Hope this helps.
    Dont see an option to lock phone when i press the power button. Is that still available?
    klev said:
    Dont see an option to lock phone when i press the power button. Is that still available?

Such option should be available in "Security & Privacy > Screen Lock " next to it there is an extra settings where you'll find the option you looking for.
  • DunkaDunka United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭
    tbrausch said:
    brunormc said:
    I would like to know if others are experiencing issues with Android Auto?????
    Generally only problems are posted here, so I would be grateful for a few nods that AA is working properly.  Thanks
    I updated to Android 8 and have no problems whatsoever with Android Auto.  The menu most people refer to did popup on the first connection (before I setup Android Auto on the phone).  But after going through the setup screen it has never reappeared.  Hope this helps.
    I uninstalled AA and reinstalled it, went through the connection process, same connecting problem. Did a factory reset and still have the connection issue. Even changed USB cords.
    No issues when I was using Nougat. 
    I have a Hyundai Tucson, maybe it's a head unit issue now with Oreo?
  • pickypenelopepickypenelope United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I upgraded to Oreo last night, and so far I'm really pleased with the update. Some thoughts:

• The built-in music player feels a bit more responsive and is almost enough to keep me using it for its amazing sound. It seems to have lost the really cool full screen lockscreen player, going with the more common mini-player widget on the lockscreen. I'm not sure about playlists and albums being in proper order or alphabetical (it seems like sometimes one, sometimes the other). Even though it does feel improved, I'll probably end up back with GMMP, which is what I had settled on with Nougat.
    • The Bluetooth connection in my car seems a little wonky. The phone and car connect, but when playing a podcast, there is no sound. If I restart the phone while in the car, after the restart it works properly. It was working perfectly in Nougat. I'll need to explore this more, as I use the Bluetooth in my car constantly, and restarting the phone every time I turn on the car would be a very annoying solution.
    • For the most part, it feels like the same phone, just with an updated operating system (which is what I'd expect), and I'd recommend the update.
    • One new thing that's annoying that I haven't figured out is that my carrier is listed in the status bar, which takes up the left 25% or so of the status bar constantly. I'd love to turn this off, but I haven't found the setting anywhere. Does anyone know if it's possible to turn the carrier notification in the status bar off?
  • mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusted off the old A7 when I heard about this update. Did as instructed and everything went flawlessly. I have been reading a lot of the comments here and just want to add my two cents on the Oreo 8.0 build that matter to me.
    The good:
    1)Much less bloatware, less cluttered.
    2)Bluetooth now has a battery indicator for your devices (no need for third part app)
    3)PiP - this works flawlessly except for YouTube, but I was told that I need a YouTube RED or Premium subscription for this to work.
    4)Battery life seems better so far
    5)Phone seems quicker and more responsive (no discernible lag)
    The not so good/bad
    1)Adaptive Brightness - too dark in low light conditions for my liking. I turned it off. Tried to recalibrate (could do that with Nougat) but nothing changes. Just On or Off....sigh.
    2)Notifications - this has always been a major pet peeve of mine with the A7. Sound notifications seems to have a mind of their own, sometimes they work as intended. Sigh..😕
    3)Music apps not seeing all my music (I have installed BlackPlayer and Pi Music) BlackPlayer shows most while Pi doesn't nor does it show Playlists or folders. Yes, this was not a problem on Nougat. Weird.
    4)Texts not showing up or delayed until the phone wakes up, not good. It worked initially post update. But now it is not working consistently. I have double checked my settings and they are correct....restarted.....nothing really changes this behavior.
    5) Dolby Atmos app does nothing.......mine seems dead. When I select different modes, nothing changes.
    7)Great to know that the camera now has API support but I cannot find Google camera in the Playstore to try it and see if this really makes a difference. 
    8)Dual Sim is a feature that I use, customization on Oreo is sadly lacking and the settings are not well laid out. For example setting the ringtones for SMS is a guessing game as the system doesn't show which sim is which. I have to guess/assume...🙄
    Well that's my rambling about the update thus far. Thanks ZTE for keeping your word....👏

mouse said:
    1)Adaptive Brightness - too dark in low light conditions for my liking. I turned it off. Tried to recalibrate (could do that with Nougat) but nothing changes. Just On or Off....sigh.

Interesting comment about the brightness. Mine is brighter than it was before the update
  • nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2018 2:07AM
    I upgraded to Oreo last night, and so far I'm really pleased with the update. Some thoughts:

• The built-in music player feels a bit more responsive and is almost enough to keep me using it for its amazing sound. It seems to have lost the really cool full screen lockscreen player, going with the more common mini-player widget on the lockscreen. I'm not sure about playlists and albums being in proper order or alphabetical (it seems like sometimes one, sometimes the other). Even though it does feel improved, I'll probably end up back with GMMP, which is what I had settled on with Nougat.
    • The Bluetooth connection in my car seems a little wonky. The phone and car connect, but when playing a podcast, there is no sound. If I restart the phone while in the car, after the restart it works properly. It was working perfectly in Nougat. I'll need to explore this more, as I use the Bluetooth in my car constantly, and restarting the phone every time I turn on the car would be a very annoying solution.
    • For the most part, it feels like the same phone, just with an updated operating system (which is what I'd expect), and I'd recommend the update.
    • One new thing that's annoying that I haven't figured out is that my carrier is listed in the status bar, which takes up the left 25% or so of the status bar constantly. I'd love to turn this off, but I haven't found the setting anywhere. Does anyone know if it's possible to turn the carrier notification in the status bar off?
    I agree with your last point, I'm unable to find any work around to hide the carrier name which is occupying the chunk of the status bar screen space. 

Few more too add apart from what Mr. @mouse as adeed..
    1. Still I'm not able to use the pip feature.
    2. No direct shortcut to access dual Sim settings.
    3. Am I the only one who is feeling axon 7 speaker volume is not loud enough.
    4. Any way to adjust the ambient display notification pop up options
    5. No three fingure gesture for screenshot and annoying volume notification pops up while using it with pressing the power button and volume button. Scroll capture is also not working.

• GodOfPsychosGodOfPsychos GermanyPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mouse said:
    7)Great to know that the camera now has API support but I cannot find Google camera in the Playstore to try it and see if this really makes a difference. 
    That's because google removed the app a long time ago from play store.  When ppl mention gcam with hdr+, they mean the modded versions which have hdr+ available for all kind of devices with cam2 api. The original gcam doesn't give you hdr+ because its nexus and pixel exclusive. Just google for arnova google camera mod. And try out different versions to find the one that works best for you.
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    nareshcn7 said:

I agree with your last point, I'm unable to find any work around to hide the carrier name which is occupying the chunk of the status bar screen space. 

5. No three fingure gesture for screenshot and annoying volume notification pops up while using it with pressing the power button and volume button. Scroll capture is also not working.

4-not too sure what kind of option you are looking for here. If you are refering to the lockscreen setting, you can look under security and location and lock screen preference. 

5-3 finger gesture was removed since Oreo build is more stock like and the 3 finger was part of the MiFlavor UI feature (I personally like the 3 finger gesture too but also liked more stock look:)). Besides using the power button and volume to capture screen, you can also use the quick setting under the drop down menu (not sure if that tile is there by default. If not, just tap on edit and you will see screenshot tile that you can place on the quick setting to take screen shot). Scroll capture works for me. To do it, I have to take a screenshot first and then tap the scroll capture button on the bottom, and then I can scroll to do a longer capture and then save the screenshot. 
  • nickolas81nickolas81 PolandPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I have a problem durring installation. I made every single step correctly, but after 26 % of installation an info appered:

Warning: No file_contextsE3004: This package is for "ailsa_ii" devices; this is a "msm8952_64".E:unknown cOMMAND [LOG] Status 8

Installation aborted.

What to do ? 
  • nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭
    samsamha said:
    nareshcn7 said:

4-not too sure what kind of option you are looking for here. If you are refering to the lockscreen setting, you can look under security and location and lock screen preference. 

5-3 finger gesture was removed since Oreo build is more stock like and the 3 finger was part of the MiFlavor UI feature (I personally like the 3 finger gesture too but also liked more stock look:)). Besides using the power button and volume to capture screen, you can also use the quick setting under the drop down menu (not sure if that tile is there by default. If not, just tap on edit and you will see screenshot tile that you can place on the quick setting to take screen shot). Scroll capture works for me. To do it, I have to take a screenshot first and then tap the scroll capture button on the bottom, and then I can scroll to do a longer capture and then save the screenshot. 
    4-Ambient display notification pop's-up for a second and then goes off. notification light starts acting after that. I would like to see more customization options added to it. 
    5-I also like the 3 fingure gesture. Right now, after the update, I'm using the tile button option only. Scroll capture works in my other phones but not in my axon 7.

When ZTE said Stock+ UI, I always thought that "+" means making the user experience better by adapting the stock OS.

Is there any possibility that, ZTE further update the AXON 7 by any chance? @sshasan  @aerospaceman
  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    maverick said:
    DrakenFX said:
    maverick said:
    Ok so why does the led stay red when screen is off while charging, then turn green no where near full....? 

that behavior is by default,  Notification LED just turns on while the screen is off , when you turning from red to green that means is 90% charge.

The LED won't show when the screen is ON.
    ok so it just doesnt go to green when its at 100 like it did before. okie doke

That is pretty stupid. I am seeing more and more reasons to just stay with Nougat.
    I have a problem durring installation. I made every single step correctly, but after 26 % of installation an info appered:

Warning: No file_contextsE3004: This package is for "ailsa_ii" devices; this is a "msm8952_64".E:unknown cOMMAND [LOG] Status 8

Installation aborted.

What to do ? 
    Are you using Axon 7 US version? The warning you are seeing means that your phone is not the right phone. When I google it, it seems to me that you may have Axon 7 Mini, which is different than Axon 7. 
  • maverickmaverick NJPosts: 489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ram1220 said:
    maverick said:
    DrakenFX said:
    maverick said:
    Ok so why does the led stay red when screen is off while charging, then turn green no where near full....? 

that behavior is by default,  Notification LED just turns on while the screen is off , when you turning from red to green that means is 90% charge.

The LED won't show when the screen is ON.
    ok so it just doesnt go to green when its at 100 like it did before. okie doke

That is pretty stupid. I am seeing more and more reasons to just stay with Nougat.
    the update is actually pretty good. seems like it was worth doing. used weshare to backup, and zbackup to restore and good to go. seems to function better overall even down to single digit battery
    @nickolas81
    base on what i see on your error code,  the device you are using is the Axon 7 Mini and NOT the regular Axon 7,

This update is only for the Regular ZTE Axon 7 (A2017U) and at the moment there is no Oreo update for the 7 Mini (B2017G)
  • maverickmaverick NJPosts: 489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    is there a way to edit the share menu that comes up when, say, sharing a link from chrome? I like how it comes up with the apps then pops up another slide with contacts with different app contacts. My issue is that it comes up late. Like theres a significant amount of pause. Is that a chrome thing? an oreo thing? or what? 
  • TGstringTGstring TorontoPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna kindly ask again as it seems we're up to a couple hundred folks here who have updated.

are you able to assign each of your contacts a custom tone for SMS? 

If anyone could check for me please! thanks in advance!
    maverick said:
    is there a way to edit the share menu that comes up when, say, sharing a link from chrome? I like how it comes up with the apps then pops up another slide with contacts with different app contacts. My issue is that it comes up late. Like theres a significant amount of pause. Is that a chrome thing? an oreo thing? or what? 
    I do not believe there is a way to edit that as that is baked into the rom. Could the pause is due to the fact that you may have a long list of contacts? 
    TGstring said:
    I'm gonna kindly ask again as it seems we're up to a couple hundred folks here who have updated.

are you able to assign each of your contacts a custom tone for SMS? 

If anyone could check for me please! thanks in advance!
    not with the stock messaging app. You can only assign individual phone call ringtone but not texting ringtone. You could use third party texting apps like Textra that has such feature
  • jtmackjtmack Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I updated last night. and noticed a few issues. I'd appreciate if anyone could help. First, after reinstalling Google Pay, I no longer see my gift cards or loyalty cards in the app. Any idea how to restore these other than re-entering them all manually?Never had this problem with previous updates. And second, how can I change the shape of the home screen icons from round to square? Thank you in advance.
  • sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,986 admin
    jtmack said:
    I updated last night. and noticed a few issues. I'd appreciate if anyone could help. First, after reinstalling Google Pay, I no longer see my gift cards or loyalty cards in the app. Any idea how to restore these other than re-entering them all manually?Never had this problem with previous updates. And second, how can I change the shape of the home screen icons from round to square? Thank you in advance.
    I had to enter my info in again as well after the update. I know I've had to do this on other non-ZTE devices as well even though I had all my info set up on Google Pay.  @wiseman13 uses Google Pay as well. @wiseman13 did you have to add in your info manually after the update? 
    jtmack said:
    To change the icon shape, you long press the home screen and tap Home Settings, then you will see change icon shape. 
  • mouettusmouettus CanadaPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I keep reading on news sites about connectivity (4G/lte, wifi) issues but no info here yet. Anyone can comment on those? I don't care about the rest (well maybe battery life/overheating) but if signal is weaker than it already is, then it's a no go for me.
  • jtmackjtmack Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2018 4:52PM
    samsamha said:
    jtmack said:
    To change the icon shape, you long press the home screen and tap Home Settings, then you will see change icon shape.

Got it. Thanks! Also, is there a way to increase their size so they're the same as in Nougat?