How Much Are You Willing To Spend On Your Next Smartphone?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,828 admin
Phones aren't getting any cheaper, but how much is too much?

We all have that magical number in our head that we just aren't going to go past.

If that phone has everything you want, how much are you willing to spend?

How Much Are You Willing To Spend On Your Next Smartphone? 26 votes

Under $150
3% 1 vote
$150 - $250
3% 1 vote
$250 - $350
19% 5 votes
$350 - $450
30% 8 votes
$450 - $550
23% 6 votes
Above $550
19% 5 votes

Comments

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now I have my eyes on a Nokia 7.1. My need for a dual sim phone with a large battery to handle running both cell chips is important now that I carry a work sim with me all of the time. I am using my Axon 7 with Oreo and a replaced battery and that is holding me over until we complete the new phones being announced. I am hoping for a ZTE option in the mix.
  • hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If the phone has everything I want I picked $250-$350. I'm willing to pay a little more for the right features, and a little less if it's REALLY a steal. First off, let me state my necessities in a smart phone:

- Large Battery: By large I mean at least 4000mAh or higher
    - 32GB/3GB minimum, preferred 64GB/4GB
    - The latest version of Android. If you release a device with Oreo at this point, it better get at least Pie Or release with Pie and I'm good
    - Monthly security updates. There's no reason not to do this anymore. Any OEM at any price point
    - Wide Angle Lens Camera on front AND back
    - Stereo speakers, don't need to be front facing at my price point
    - Dolby Atmos
    - Rear Fingerprint Sensor
    - Good RAM Management
    -High NIT screen to see in the daylight
    - Carrier unlocked!
    - Band 71 for T-Mobile's new 700mHz rollout

That's all I really need. I don't game on my phone, I watch an occasional video or Brewer game so I don't need a 2k or 4k screen, 1080P is fine. I really use it as an information center to get news, sports, and messaging.  

The way I look at it, I really want the best value for my money. That's what the Axon 7 afforded. What you got for the money was on point. That's the value I'm looking for.  I don't need true flagship.
  • chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 507 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 10:00AM
    My next phone is going to have to have T-Mobile wi-fi calling due to the coverage at my new house. Most of the mid-range unlocked phones that I would look unfortunately don't have this. That means, i will need to pay a little more for a phone from T-Mobile. 
  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Above 550$ is fine, but below 700$. 
  • mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pay up to $1000, that's my limit . But I don't want to pay that much, but quality counts. 350 to 500 is ideal for me
  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    That Nokia 7.1 looks so appealing for $350...Android One...4GB of RAM.  64GB of storage.  Dual cameras….yes please!  So I agree with you @wiseman13

But about $550 would be the max where I won't shell out the cash for.  I think this should be right around the lowest end One Plus 6T model
  • samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    realistic speaking, I would say around 500-600 is the maximum I am willing to spend on a phone. I don't usually buy phone at full retail price as I will wait until there is a good promotion or a deal comes along so it will work out to be around that price range. 
  • dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,402 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 10:57PM
    I'm in the 450-550 camp. I am sure I will end up paying more at some point. I've been buying devices on special promo's for the last couple years.
  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Axon9 Pro, is they cut their ZTE Vision thing and replace with a QHD display, I'm sure this will cut price. Also I would cut the wireless charging. I would be even ready to cut QC4.0 and replace to QC3.0 to save on cost. This could bring the Axon 9 close to the 500$ mark I think
  • runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My budget is usually around $500-$700 for a flagship spec phone, meaning it will need to have probably the newest Snapdragon 8xx, at least 6gb ram, 128gb storage, near full body display without the notch, good camera, wireless charging, and fast wired charging.
  • trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In many ways I have become jaded on the whole super expensive phone thing. $1000 or more for a phone is ludicrous in my eyes no matter how many bells and whistles it may have tacked on it. The OnePlus line has priced itself out of what I would reasonably pay for a device nowadays. Similar to @hollap my needs have simplified but even more so:

* Large clear screen, 6" or thereabouts, 1080 or better
    * Oreo out of the box with Pie soon thereafter or better, and updates in a TIMELY manner
    * All day battery life or better
    * 3/32 or better RAM/storage, with expandable storage as an option
    * Carrier unlocked
    * Bands 12 and 17, with 2, 4, and 5 being high priority as well (AT&T/Cricket)

Notches, glass bodies, wireless charging... I don't really care either way on those.
  • hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    trotter said:
    In many ways I have become jaded on the whole super expensive phone thing. $1000 or more for a phone is ludicrous in my eyes no matter how many bells and whistles it may have tacked on it. The OnePlus line has priced itself out of what I would reasonably pay for a device nowadays. Similar to @hollap my needs have simplified but even more so:

* Large clear screen, 6" or thereabouts, 1080 or better
    * Oreo out of the box with Pie soon thereafter or better, and updates in a TIMELY manner
    * All day battery life or better
    * 3/32 or better RAM/storage, with expandable storage as an option
    * Carrier unlocked
    * Bands 12 and 17, with 2, 4, and 5 being high priority as well (AT&T/Cricket)

Notches, glass bodies, wireless charging... I don't really care either way on those.
    Great minds think alike @[email protected]!
  • saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For a decently high end device, I like the $350-$450 range, though I am willing to go up to $550 if a device truly goes above and beyond.

$450 should have the following for 2018.
    1. Latest flagship SOC
    2. 4-8GB of RAM
    3. 64GB+ internal storage
    4. Expandable storage via Micro SD
    5. 1440p display
    6. Dual front facing speakers
    7. Single top of the line camera module with OIS (no need for 2 cameras)
    8. User replaceable battery.
    9. Capacitive backlit buttons (since on-screen buttons cause burn-in on AMOLED displays).

$550 or above:
    1. Should go above and beyond with at least one concept or future looking feature that may not be as cost effective to implement yet. If a user is spending a steep premium, offer something groundbreaking.
    2. For example, a single primary 1/2.3 inch or larger sensor camera module, and a secondary micro 4/3 sensor with no flange distance but a sliding protective cover., but with a range of GPIO where users can use lens adapters to mount a wide range of DSLR lenses to their phone.
    3. Switchable RF front end to make use if a large number of LDS antennas to ensure that none of the supported bands are at a negative gain.
    4. Pre-unlocked bootloader with TWRP preinstalled, thus leaving the device ready for users to flash a rooting utility.
    5. Overall, it needs to do well in all of the core areas, but provide something new and future looking.

• ivanbivanb Posts: 26 ✭✭✭✭
    I don`t even think about the phones anymore, as I am fully and completely satisfied with my Axon 7 and Oreo. 2 years past since I bought it, has no scratches, performs like brand new, beautiful inside and out. No reasons at all to switch.  Thanks.