Axon 7 1.5 years old: battery dies after an hour of use

HoomakaHoomaka United StatesPosts: 1
Hello everyone I have been having a problem with my phone for the past 2 months and it's getting worse. My phone drains extremely fast and dies at about 51%-37% range. I reboot the phone and it shows 1% left. When I plug in my phone to the charger the charge jumps back up to the % it died at. I tried clearing the phone cache and what not but nothing changed. The phone also drains sitting at idle instantly draining 1-5% right off the charger. In 3 minutes of use 15% or more gets drained doing normal things like texting.

Any help is welcomed and I thank you in advance,
Hoomaka

Comments

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The next time it dies before reaching 0%, turn it back  on by pressing the power button + Volume up. Once the logo appears, release the power button but continue to hold the volume up button.

You will eventually see a recovery menu.

Leave it on the recovery menu until the battery dies again.

If it seems like it is taking too long to die, try booting into android a few times to drain the battery. Since the recovery menu does not try to reserve any power by shutting off before it reaches its true zero point (to avoid deep cycling the battery), the OS itself will not cause the battery to recalibrate.

When the battery is drained to a point where the device will not power back on, then you can connect the charger and let it charge the device fully before powering it back on.
  • beaugartbeaugart United StatesPosts: 126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is doing the exact same thing. It started sometime in August with a lag when it it 25%, then it started shutting off in the same range as yours is a few weeks ago. It currently has to be plugged in constantly to stay on, and am just waiting on warranty right now. I've tried everything, from factory resetting to clearing the cache, to letting it power off completely in the boot menu as described above. I've been told it's the battery, so warranty repair it is, it seems.
  • pasonal11pasonal11 United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭
    Guys just replace the battery! You can find the genuine ZTE Axon 7 battery replacement in eBay with the tools included (screwdrivers, ete.) to replace it yourself for less than $15 dollars. I was skeptical in my ability to replace it by myself but it was way easier than I expected, besides you have YouTube videos to guide you. I was thinking in taking the device to a phone repair shop to let them do it but it was around $50 dollars. You can pay someone to replaced it or just save the $50. Now the battery life awsome, back as it used to, I mainly use the Axon 7 as music player because of the DAC.
    P.S: ZTE please roll an update fixing the broken Dolby Atmos app and audio issues that came with Oreo, I think it will be very simple for you.. You (ZTE) had a long time to make a decent Oreo update but ironically you gave us a rushed one and sort of incomplete. Other Axon 7 users have experienced this problem as well and my question that I have left is: how the ZTE insiders that first tested the beta of update didn't catch that?
  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pasonal11 said:
    Guys just replace the battery! You can find the genuine ZTE Axon 7 battery replacement in eBay with the tools included (screwdrivers, ete.) to replace it yourself for less than $15 dollars. I was skeptical in my ability to replace it by myself but it was way easier than I expected, besides you have YouTube videos to guide you. I was thinking in taking the device to a phone repair shop to let them do it but it was around $50 dollars. You can pay someone to replaced it or just save the $50. Now the battery life awsome, back as it used to, I mainly use the Axon 7 as music player because of the DAC.
    P.S: ZTE please roll an update fixing the broken Dolby Atmos app and audio issues that came with Oreo, I think it will be very simple for you.. You (ZTE) had a long time to make a decent Oreo update but ironically you gave us a rushed one and sort of incomplete. Other Axon 7 users have experienced this problem as well and my question that I have left is: how the ZTE insiders that first tested the beta of update didn't catch that?

I just bought the same battery and tool kit from Ebay. I have them here and I am trying to get up the courage to do it myself. From what I have seen on Youtube it won't be too hard. I see that I need a small heat gun to remove the speaker grills. But how did you reattach the speaker grills after replacing the battery?
  • pasonal11pasonal11 United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭
    The speaker grills came off with some of it's own adhesive, I just placed them back as they were and they stayed! If the grills weren't to stay one of my alternatives was to use little drops of super glue around the speaker grills making sure not to cover.the little holes. I used a hair drayer but I don't think it did much, I just found some very thin edge that helped me remove the grills. You'll be fine replacing the battery yourself.
  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello pasonal11 and ram1220,
    Can you please post a link to the battery + tools you've got from eBay?
    Also, did you see a major improvement after changing the battery?
    Thank you

FYI: I complained about battery life and I mailed my A7 to the service center. Got-it back after 3 weeks, nothing changed.
  • gads1gads1 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoomaka said:
    Hello everyone I have been having a problem with my phone for the past 2 months and it's getting worse. My phone drains extremely fast and dies at about 51%-37% range. I reboot the phone and it shows 1% left. When I plug in my phone to the charger the charge jumps back up to the % it died at. I tried clearing the phone cache and what not but nothing changed. The phone also drains sitting at idle instantly draining 1-5% right off the charger. In 3 minutes of use 15% or more gets drained doing normal things like texting.

Any help is welcomed and I thank you in advance,
    Hoomaka
    yes.   both wife and I have had Axon7 for couple years and batteries DIE in these phones at 1.5-2yr mark.   you can buy a replacement for approx $14 off ebay and replace it yourself (check youtube video assuming you have the tools and aptitude for this).    Alternatively, do an "advance replacement" by called ZTE support and trade-in  your phone for a refurb for $79.   they will want to do TWO charges -- approx $410 charge for cost of phone, and $79 for replacement.    once you receive replacement, do the setup and phone migrate data, wipe the old one and return.  They will NOT charge the $410 once you return.  note the $79 replacement fee includes fedex shipping label to return.
  • morefavesmorefaves Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭
    I had the same exact problem.   Phone still had a month of warranty.   I did the replacement and new phone does not have the problem, so if you're still on warranty, I suggest you replace.  It probably just delays the problem for another 22 months or so, but it's worth it.  
  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much pasonal11
  • techiitechii Posts: 33 ✭✭✭✭
    Next month will be two years.......…..battery is still ok...…..knock on wood, no problems....
  • Barb28nBarb28n United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I'm having the exact same problem too, done all the methods,didn't make any difference. Worried about changing battery though, why can't we go back to the old fashioned removable kind
  • roxuu011roxuu011 RomaniaPosts: 3 ✭✭✭
    Hello! I have the same issue with a ZTE 7 mini. I've just gone for the latest update, but it seems to get worse. I thought it is because I have been charging it using an adaptor from the lighter of my car. What do you recommend: should I go for the battery replacement kit or try to have my phone replaced? I still have like 8-9 months of warranty. I must say that it is from ZTE Europe. Thank you!
  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Barb28n said:
    I'm having the exact same problem too, done all the methods,didn't make any difference. Worried about changing battery though, why can't we go back to the old fashioned removable kind
    Because customers demanded waterproof phones which require sealed batteries.  Once that cash cow was out of the barn there is no putting her back.  Phone vendors love the fact that you have to pay more money to have them replace your battery or better yet, sell you a whole new phone.
    Got the phone repaired through the Passport 2.0, no cost to me whatsoever (and I was one day away from the 2 year mark). Sent the phone to them, and they sent it back good as new within 2 weeks. I highly recommend the return/repair service if you're still in the 2 year Passport Protection period.
  • nickyb220nickyb220 PhiladelphiaPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more axon products for me....battery issues!! I was planning on using this phone for awhile  :s
    All batteries eventually die, there's only so many charging cycles in a batteries' life. If you're still under the passport warranty, get the battery replaced. It didn't cost me a penny. I'll have this phone for another 2 years, likely. If it's not under passport protection anymore, battery replacement is fairly inexpensive. Either way, if you love the phone and want to keep it around for another year or two - just get the battery replaced. It's a solid phone and if replacing the battery is the only inconvenience I've had - it's got a better track record than any of the other smart phone's I've used from Apple to LG to Samsung to Motorola.
  • dlweaver2dlweaver2 Hagerstown, MDPosts: 55 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had my Axon 7's battery replaced after having the phone for a little over 2 years. Got the battery from eBay and paid the local phone repair shop $20 to change it for me. I'm hoping to get at least another 1 1/2 years out of my Axon 7. 
  • samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    dlweaver2 said:
    Just had my Axon 7's battery replaced after having the phone for a little over 2 years. Got the battery from eBay and paid the local phone repair shop $20 to change it for me. I'm hoping to get at least another 1 1/2 years out of my Axon 7. 
    that is nice. Axon 7 is still a great phone and with new battery, it can definitely gets you going for a couple of years. 
  • doubleddoubled IndianapolisPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I replaced the battery in mine and got an immediate improvement. I put together a short how to video, check it out.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@doubled Thanks for the video. It is definitely short. LOL. The video above is less than a minute, shows the kit but doesn't show exactly how you replaced the battery. Maybe this video was cut off in error? You may want to take a look at that please.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2019 2:26PM

That should show a detailed look.

The hardest part is releasing the clips holding the device together after removing the screws..

The video shows a full teardown but the only part relevant to what you need if you really want to replace it yourself, is

The beginning of the video, to 3:27 and then 5:07 - 6:40

PS, the speaker grills can be removed without heat, you just have to pry them up extremely slowly in order to let the adhesive naturally stretch and separate.

• testrattestrat Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭✭

About a year ago, I had an issue with fast draining battery. phone then was about 1.5 yr old then. What I found out with mine is that the CHARGING controller board (or something like that) was draining that battery 300% faster then normal. This was replaced, and all is good since. So, wasnt a battery issue on mine, but the section that did the charging was malfunctioning. So, all good now. Phone is some over 2 yr old now. According to AccuBattery Pro, my battery health is at 89% now. Maybe not like new, but is still quite good in my book.. I can work with that.

• nvbdlnvbdl Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

My battery is also having the same issue a little over 1.5 years after purchase. It dies very quickly, charges slowly, and shuts down randomly. I'm so bummed. I like this phone and don't want to buy a new phone yet. Thank you to others owners giving me some options here. Guess I need to decide whether I : A. Buy battery kit and replace it my self or Just give in and buy a new phone, probably not ZTE.

• testrattestrat Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mind was doing that about a year ago. I sent it in. I think they replaced the charge port board. It was drawing much more current or drawing current when not charging, and causing rapid battery drain. Though, that was all mine was doing. I sent it in then and had it fixed under warranty.

... But, it has started to do it again now, but not quite as bad. Phone has been off the charger almost 1.5 hours now, and has dropped off to 85%. I will be making a thread myself shortly. I saw this thread, thought I would comment here first.... I have already ordered a replacement battery and the charger board, and gonna chance doin it myself this time. I watched a video on FIXEZ. COM I think it was. And ordered the little heat gun and dbl sided tape they have. Once I see how it is done, I am not afraid to do it myself.

• nvbdlnvbdl Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

This is so helpful. Thank you for posting this video. I really like this phone and now I believe I can change my own battery. Can't wait!