Axon 7.. NFC. How do I get it to work?

testrattestrat Posts: 40 ✭✭✭✭✭
I thought  I would try the NFC function on my c.card.  I have an expired card that I was trying to read.. I downloaded a couple programs that said would scan for card.. I hold the card to the back of the phone - with and without the case on it.  I get nothing.  Is this now how this is to work?

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you trying to use NFC payment ie Google Pay? if so, you would need to enter the CC info on Google Pay (assuming you have already downloaded the app), then you can use NFC in store that supports Google pay to make payment. 
  • DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just adding to @samsamha post.

In here you will find several use of NFC and how can you use them.

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-use-nfc-android-164644/
  • testrattestrat Posts: 40 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had downloaded a couple of NFC programs, thinking they would just "read" the chip on the card and automatically be set to use.  But, neither one will read/scan my card.  So, guessing it dont work that way?  Programs i installed: MaxSoft, NFC Reader by Sylvain Saurel, NFC Tools:v 6.7 
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    testrat said:
    I had downloaded a couple of NFC programs, thinking they would just "read" the chip on the card and automatically be set to use.  But, neither one will read/scan my card.  So, guessing it dont work that way?  Programs i installed: MaxSoft, NFC Reader by Sylvain Saurel, NFC Tools:v 6.7 
    the tiny little square chip that is on the credit cards are EM chip and they are not NFC. The phone will read NFC tags if you happen to have devices such speakers, headphones, etc that has NFC tag in it (you can even buy the tags and program them yourself). 

If you are looking to use Android pay, just enter your CC info manually and then at the store that supports it, you can then use the phone to pay. 
  • razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,478 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of credit cards are no longer using RF or contact-less payments, as there were too many cases of card skimming using modified contact-less readers for longer range. If your credit card has that feature, then I recommend looking for the slight bulge in the card, and bending the card around there to break that chip.

If your card has these contacts on it, then it is not RF based at all, it requires a chip and pin terminal to read it.

As for NFC, the reader in the Axon 7, will only read tags that are in the 13.56MHz frequency range. and will not read any of those sub 1GHz tags that were common with many credit cards.