How can I stop my phone from lagging

hc1812hc1812 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

Every time I play a game or use Facebook my phone starts to get jumpy

Answers

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For an issue like this, it is best to know which phone you are using, and also the last action taken in which you experienced the lag.

In general there are a number of things that can cause a laggy experience. If an application uses a lot of RAM (some will just keep using more and more as you use them), then some devices will begin to unload UX related assets from RAM, such as graphical assets from the launcher or other items, thus leading to lag spikes lasting a few seconds when you tap the home button, as the device has to load all of those assets back into RAM.

Other causes for lag can be overheating. Many companies will start to throttle the SOC at around 60C so that the device does not feel too warm in the hand, but that throttling can means that the device runs slow until it cools down enough.

Another source of lag can be which apps you have installed. Sadly one flaw in android is that without root access, it is hard to manage the startup process, thus apps can add items to your system startup, but you can't easily disable the startup items. And the sad thing is that this is an issue that google could fix by putting rules associated to when startup items can be added, and prevent listeners and other items from being added whose sole purpose is to push marketing messages to users.

For example, there is no reason why speedtest, stop & shop, Torque, and Walmart need to have code running in the background when the system is booted. Sadly some devs add items so that they can send push notifications, and others do it just in case they may want to send a push notification in the future, thus you end up with RAM being used all the time by a process that is being 100% useless because the dev through that they might want to possibly send a push notification in the future.