Why is WiFi 6 (IEEE 802.11ax) not supported on the ZTE Axon 10 Pro?

toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 144 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As far as I'm aware, the Snapdragon 855 processor supports the WiFi 6 (IEEE 802.11ax) standard. However, it's not supported on the ZTE Axon 10 Pro. In fact, the only Snapdragon 855 powered devices that do support the standard so far are the Samsung Galaxy S10 family, Note 10 family, and Galaxy Fold.

Is this something that can be enabled later on through an update or are there certain other necessary hardware requirements not included with the Axon 10 Pro?

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,220 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, so far I only see it being supported on Samsung phones. I think it is possibly that most other devices are not supporting it just because the technology is still early. Thus, it is possible that it is missing on them to reduce cost as sometimes it would require licensing fee, certification, or need physical hardware antenna.

Currently, 802.11ac is still fast enough and I think just like 5G, it will take a few years before we start seeing 802.11ax everywhere as not only that the phone needs to support it, you would need to upgrade your router to take advantage of the new technology. I remember when 8021.11ac was introduced many devices still come out with 802.11n and even now there are still some laptops that does not support 820.11ac.

I do not believe that 802.11ax can just be enabled via software but I could be wrong here.

• toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 144 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was having trouble finding a definitive answer searching online which is why I decided to ask the question here but then now I just found a concrete answer. Android Central posted an article today about this topic based on a Wi-Fi Alliance press release from yesterday. See links below for the article and press release:

So, yes, @samsamha, your assumptions were correct. Having the Snapdragon 855 processor isn't enough. The phone needs to be both certified by the Wi-Fi Alliance and include the necessary additional hardware inside the phone as well.

• toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 144 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, from what I can tell, getting the certification from the Wi-Fi Alliance just enables companies to be able to use the "WiFi 6 Certified" logo on product packaging and other promotional materials. So, it's really just a matter of including the proper antenna(s)/hardware.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Many companies are not adding 802.11ax WiFi front ends due to it being less mature. Many ax routers are still having stability issues, while being very expensive.

while there is always a possibility of a company using ax front ends and software limiting it to ac, it is more likely for many device makers to wait for multiple major router makers to first establish a line of routers and APs across the price range.

Beyond that, it also gives client chipset makers time to optimize their designs and create smaller BGA packages. Samsung likes to be first for these things, as is needed when trying so sell a phone for over $1000.

Currently 2 stream 802.11ac will do around 600Mbps real world performance.

802.11ax does close to 1000Mbps sustained, though it requires you to be very close to get those peak speeds. For most people, the difference is not noticeable since most internet connections are not that fast. Furthermore, even people with a NAS will not notice a difference since many use their mobile devices in conjunction with a NAS for media consumption and not file syncing since USB 3.0 is still faster than 802.11ax.