TMobile WIFI calling and MMS

I am having an issue sending MMS on my new AXON10 after switching sim from my AXON7. This function worked perfectly in the AXON 7, but will not work in the AXON 10. I have searched and tried everything on the web. APN appears to be correct (and worked on the 7) and WIFI calling and SMS operate properly, so its specific to MMS.

Any ideas would be helpful, maybe there is a setting i'm missing.

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am using Axon 10 Pro with T-mobile sim and have not seen issue with sending MMS. Are you using the stock messaging app?

Have you tried to reset APN to default setting. Under APNs-->tap on the 3 dots and "reset to default".

If that does not work, maybe manually adding a new APN setting and manually enter the information from T-mobile's site

• xphylexphyle United StatesPosts: 57 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on T-Mobile and I also had issues sending MMS. I noticed that the default APN settings for T-Mobile from the axon 10 were different than the default APN settings for T-Mobile from my other devices that work properly. So I changed the APN settings to match the other devices I own and it works fine now.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,414 admin

For the help of other users "IF" they might be having the same issue what did you set your TMO APN to? It should be on the "fast" APN if you have proper TMO service.

edited November 1, 2019 7:49AM

Sorry this forum is being a pain. I tried to type it all out but it won't let me type out the MMSC address. So do this. Go into the default t-mobile apn settings for the Axon 10 Pro. It's called "T-Mobile US LTE". Write down all the default values for each section. As I recall the phone won't let you EDIT the settings so you need to create a new APN. Create a NEW APN and call it "T-mobile LTE". Fill in every section with the SAME value as the default T-Mobile APN that you wrote down, EXCEPT "Name" and "APN type". For Name, call it "T-mobile LTE" without the quotes. For APN type, set it to "default,supl,mms,xcap" without the quotes. Then save it and back out. Make sure it's selected, then reboot the phone. You should be good.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could you also post a screenshot of your settings? That could be helpful for people to see exactly how it looks like.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,414 admin
    edited November 1, 2019 1:52PM

I am having some bad wifi calling issues right now with TMO. Some of the things I am experiencing are:

• Will receive a call and answer and get connected, but it will keep coming up that I am receiving the same call over and over.
    • While I am on a call it will also show that the person I am talking to is on hold, even though I am talking with them
    • These issues are restricting my access to the keypad to input numbers if I am connected to a automated system and have to push 1,2,etc...

I am going to try your APN change and see if that fixes the issue. It is very strange and really aggravating.

edited November 1, 2019 2:57PM

There is the screenshot of the 100% correct and working APN Tmobile settings for the Axon 10 Pro.

Anyone ever just put a "*" without the quotation marks in the "APN type" field? The star is basically a wildcard and to say that the APN will support ANY type of data you throw at it. Just curious..

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I think this will be really helpful for anyone trying to make sure they fill it out correctly.

• wileecoyotewileecoyote Posts: 5 ✭✭✭✭

I saw these APN settings and looked at mine to verify they were the same, which they were. I clicked on add APN and entered the exact same thing from the TMobile APN page (exactly the same info as was already in the phone) NOTE: This card came right out of a working AXON 7 without changes.

Once i added the "new" APN information and clicked on it to use, rebooted the phone, and restarted it seems to be working fine. I will add that I miss the old white phone icon on my AXON7 to show that you are connected to wifi calling.

I assume the VoLTE icon on the RH side are the same, but not completely sure. Thanks for the suggestions, I will respond back if it stops working.

When you are connected to WiFi calling the Axon 10 will show it. The "VoLTE" icon in the upper right will change to "VoWiFi".

Well, Tried to use again later this afternoon and incoming photo wont download, then tried to send GIF unsuccessfully. Tried APN reset and entering the above APN. Still no luck. Not sure why the few went through earlier?

Try a different messaging app. I use Textra. Highly configurable and works great. I also have successfully used Google Messages.

Currently use Google messages, after reading the same suggestion earlier I had installed Textra and tried it all along trying to fix this. Thanks for the suggestion.

• amoot329amoot329 United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 10:03PM

I checked my settings, the APN Type is listed as "default,supl,hipri,rcs". When I checked my woman's S9+ (also T-Mobile). Her APN type is "default,supl,mms". What is this xcap option and what does it do? I would assume rcs is the new text message standard? I have no problem sending mms when I have signal but I did notice that when I had zero cell signal, joined a public wifi hotspot (enabled wifi calling). I couldn't send a mms. Unfortunately its difficult to test if I'm able to send a mms with just wifi calling enabled.

Anyway, wouldn't the ideal APN type have all of that included? "default,supl,hipri,rcs,mms,xcap"

PS I also use Textra as my main messaging app. I do have the MMS Advanced setting (carrier send limit) set to 1000kb(1MB) which is the max limit for T-Mobile. This was a couple of years ago and I haven't checked to see if they have increased that limit or not?

Just did a hard reset on the device (I had used Phone Switch app) to see if for some reason it needed to clear something. After reinstalling everything, still no MMS when on VoWiFi.

Anyone else have luck? I have tried all APN settings I can find. Works fine when cell signal is anywhere nearby.