Nice Phone -> But I hope a 5G version is coming

david_l312david_l312 Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the phone. It's a great deal and I'll definitely keep it. But, I also think it may be a hard sell with T-Mobile about to turn on 600 Mhz 5G to a huge chunk of the country.

I really hope ZTE releases a version supporting the "new" T-Mobile low/mid 5G bands (600 Mhz & Sprint's 2.5 Ghz). These are the bands the new T-Moble OnePlus supports (Probably using the Qualcomm X55 modem).

I'd still take this over the T-Mobile One Plus because:

Wireless Charging

SD Card Slot

256 Storage

12 Gig Ram

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is not good idea to buy any of the 5G phone on the market today unless you are living at the super cutting edge of tech:). Not only that those phones are expensive, their modem is not integrated into the SoC, which means that the battery life would suffer. The 5G network is rolling out now but I think it is still not going to be as widespread as 4G so for most people it would still default to 4G connectivity. I understand that having 5G on the phone maybe more future proofing but I think it would still need at least a year or two for the network to be as widespread as current 4G and for for most small kinks to be worked out for any devices to really take the advantage of the new technology. I think in 2020 or most likely 2021, we would start see affordable/mainstream 5G devices.

The A10 Pro is still a great buy that should last you a couple of years. And you are actually saving money toward future device.

• toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2019 8:24PM

ZTE has said they have no plans on selling the 5G version of the Axon 10 Pro in the USA in an effort to keep the price as low as possible but that future generations of the Axon series (possibly even as soon as next year) may include 5G capabilities.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

These 5g networks rolling out have very limited coverage area. Not worth the investment unless you are living of working right next to their 5g tower.

• david_l312david_l312 Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, T-Mobile's nationwide 5G roll out (on 12/6) is primarily using the 600 Mhz band. So, while not as fast, the signals will travel much better then the Hi-Band 5G most are talking about (it'll work indoors).

Also, T-Mobile has been claiming that all the new 600 Mhz equipment they have been installing is already 5G compatible, so the roll out could happen pretty fast.

• notalknotalk Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Where did they say that. I spoke with Customer Service and the phone being sold in the U.S. is the 5G phone but 5G has not been enabled in the U.S. My question was whether ZTE planned on enabling 5G (I'm on T-Mobile) with a software update in the future. They didn't know, but thought that ZTE would software enable 5G once they had the AT&T and T-Mobile 5G compatibility. I don't know if this is true or makes sense.

Please jump in if you have any more information.

P.S. As far as future-proofing is concerned, I think David is saying T-Mobile should have 5G fairly widespread in major cities in 2020 and it would be nice for a phone purchased today to be able to take advantage of that. I'm in the same boat. Happy with my Axon 7, and willing to buy a 10 Pro, but would want the 10 Pro to work on T-Mobile's 5G network down the road. (Don't want to have to buy a new phone Black Friday 2020 to be able to use 5G.)

• notalknotalk Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Sorry, meant to include in last post but forgot. Outside north america, the Axon 10 Pro is 5G compatible and the Axon 10 (no Pro) is not 5G compatible. If North America follows this, the North American 10 Pro should be capable of being 5G compatible.

• toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2019 6:14PM

Here's one source: https://newsbeezer.com/zte-axon-10-pro-to-touch-a-549-flagship-with-premium-features/. Jeff Yee (@jyee), who is the Vice President of Innovation and Partnership at ZTE, said "The timing for us will make more sense next year" when referring to releasing a 5G-compatible phone here in the US. The author of that article, who spoke with Jeff Yee in May when the Axon 10 Pro was being released in Europe, stated "ZTE found it difficult to justify the higher costs that would have been required for a 5G version of the Axon 10 Pro." You can read more about not having a 5G version in the US toward the bottom of that article.

Also, this topic has been discussed on here before in several threads. Here's two of such threads: https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/comment/252916#Comment_252916 and https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/comment/252678#Comment_252678. These links I posted to Z-Community threads should take you directly to posts by ZTE's @sshasan who responded to people asking about why a 5G version of the Axon 10 Pro is not coming to the US.

The phone being sold in the US is not 5G-compatible and there is no possible way for it to be enabled with a software update as is does not contain an X50 or X55 modem and other necessary hardware and antennas. According to Jeff Yee from this article https://www.mobileworldlive.com/devices/news-devices/zte-joins-5g-wave-with-axon-10-pro/, the 5G version of the Axon 10 Pro "[incorporates] 35 percent more components" than the 4G model of the Axon 10 Pro while still being able to keep the same thickness with its 7.9mm body. The 5G version of the Axon 10 Pro uses the older Qualcomm X50 modem but, at this point, it would be better to have the newer X55 modem. I completely understand the concept of wanting to be future-proof for the next few years, but If you're looking to get a ZTE phone with 5G capabilities here in the US, then you'll have to wait to see what they offer in 2020 because the Axon 10 Pro 5G is not coming to the US.

There is no non-Pro version of the Axon 10 anywhere in the world. I do think the naming is a bit confusing and should have just been called the Axon 10 since they don't make a budget version of the phone (ex. like how they had an Axon 7 Mini) but it is what it is. The Axon 10 Pro 5G is only available in China, some European countries, Australia, and the city of Dubai. Those countries also sell the 4G version of the Axon 10 Pro as well.