GPS problem after Android 10 upgrade

2»

Comments

• rkewlanirkewlani United StatesPosts: 7 ✭✭✭

I called up customer care and they said that they have a new OS version with the GPS fix. You can call them and have them send send you a RMA shipping label. They'll reflash the phone and said the issue should get fixed. If your phone is under warranty, ZTE will cover everything. Quick note: they don't have loaner phones and said it may take a week or two. Just make sure you back up everything and have a temp phone ready meanwhile.

• ccraziccrazi United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the information. I created the RMA after a month of buying this phone but did not send as I heard on the public forums that people are still seeing the issue after their phone is repaired by ZTE. Also, they do not guarantee to send back the same phone, they can send refurbish phone in place of your phone and mine was almost brand new phone. Finding a loaner for 2 weeks is also painful. I thought if they can share A9 image, I can flash my phone with A9.

Did it work for you? Is your phone now fix to a location within seconds if you use GPS test to check or in Google Maps/Waze?

Just sent mine a couple days back. Yet to get it back. I also saved a copy of my IMEI was told that I'll get the same phone back as this is just a software reflash. Will keep you posted once I get it back. Fingers crossed!

PS: Customer care rep on phone did confirm that this was a known issue and reflash should fix it. Last time I called, which was late 2020, I was told they were waiting for a fix from Google for this. Hopefully this build version is the one with the fix

Thanks for the update. That's good to know.

They could have just sent OTA for this fix as many of Android 10 users are facing this issue. Or gave us a image, we could flash it using SDcard through their Settings->System_Update

Did you also face issue with app notifications on Wifi? Sometimes after I turn off Wifi and switch to LTE, immediately I see tons of notifications for Whatsapp and other apps which should have popped up before. After restarting phone it works fine for some times, sometime few days and then it needs a restart. Lot of issues with A10

• antunantun United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

I sent mine back today - it was very smooth process. The support agent was very helpful. I actually asked the agent why they don't do this as an OTA fix, and he said that it's not every phone that suffers from the problem. Perhaps there are some differences in phone batches?

@rkewlani please update if your phone is back and working without any GPS issues?

edited February 11, 2021 4:04PM

Yes. Got it back last a week ago. Still haven't tested fully but the issue isn't completely gone. Still takes a couple minutes at times for it to lock the gps but it hasn't failed me so far like before. And I did get my original phone back if it helps :)

Also, I'm getting much faster lock with gmaps compared to waze.

I'll keep you posted if the gps-will-not-lock-ever issue comes back.

Build Number says: GEN_NA_A2020U_PROV2.09

Thanks for the update. Glad that it worked for you 👍️. After cleaning the dalvik cache on my phone, it is getting lock in max 2 min in gmaps.

For Axon 10 Pro they provide enhance care warranty but they are refusing to provide loaner phones these days even though they still have that coverage published on their website. I will probably wait for LOS based on A11 for this phone and try.

@ccrazi I would agree with that. Unless the issue is unbearable and renders your phone useless for gps purposes, I would recommend waiting for A11.

• xyz_llxyz_ll United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭✭

@ccrazi one day repair. please ship to and from. two weeks in total

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So that is the same build out via OTA, but I guess a factory reset does not resolve the GPS issue, so that seems to mean they are changing some files with the reflash without changing the build. Any details on what we can do without sending out devices in under RMA?

GEN_NA_A2020U_PROV2.09

Yes. It's the same build. The issue still persists after couple weeks of testing. I called customer care and they are suggesting to send the phone in AGAIN for thorough testing. Not sure what they'll do differently this time.

I would recommend waiting for A11. I don't think ZTE has the fix yet for A10. Also, customer care rep claimed that this issue is not there on every axon 10 pro. Not sure how true is that. Seems it a sizeable population after looking at the comments history on this community channel.

edited February 19, 2021 1:01PM

I read on some other thread that someone is able to fix the issue by rolling back to A9 through their official package, I had email communication with China team and asked for rollback package for A9. They said that this build cannot be rolled back. This package is available for other versions of Axon 10 Pro. Not sure why they don't want to give for US version. Other option is to try LOS16 (which is A9 based) but then it will void warranty.

Clearing dalvik cache through recovery mode has made it to fix to a location little faster. Slight improvement but not the fix. Worth a try if you use maps/GPS quite often.