Updates

It's not on Android 8.0 Oreo yet it is still on Android 7.1.1 nougat

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, there will not going to be any more software update on the Blade Z Max given to the fact it is an older device. Overall, I do think Blade Z Max still runs pretty well on Android 7.1.1 as the software UI on the device is near stock

• SixstringSlammerSixstringSlammer United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

Yeah, I bought my Blade Zmax(Z982) on Amazon, So I'm blessed to not have all the pre-installed "Carrier" Apps! It's so much better without them, and I only downloaded 1 of my "Carrier's" apps that lets me check and manage my Acct. There's alot more of the Internal memory without all the extra B.S. apps that it would have if I bought it from my Carrier, &It runs very fast too! I do love the Display Size, and I think It's Overall a great Phone! I was a lil disappointed when I learned that it was running Android 'Nougat' & that there is no way(that I know of) to update the Version of Android software. But, It works just fine in almost every way. It can run brand-new, Very complex and hi-def games and everything else I've tried to do with it. So, I do love my Blade, I don't see why "older" devices should not be allowed to update their O.S. Though!!? There might be some way to get a newer Android OS, but it would probably involve using some risky site, which I just won't do. Maybe, just Maybe, when Some of the 'Now brand new Android OS's' become older, they might give us a way to update... I'd like to know if anyone else might know a little more about this... I welcome everyone's input!

Thanks, -Erik

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So, I do love my Blade, I don't see why "older" devices should not be allowed to update their O.S. Though!!? There might be some way to get a newer Android OS, but it would probably involve using some risky site, which I just won't do. 

An OS build for a phone must be built specifically for that phone. There are no "generic" builds that can be installed. So, unless the carrier the phone is built for decides to release one (or the manufacturer on an unbranded phone) or the phone can be bootloader unlocked, the right pieces of the OS are available and the developer community is interested, there can't/won't be any updates you can install. There is very minor activity around the Zmax but it is around root and not a custom OS: https://forum.xda-developers.com/zte-blade/general/root-guide-zte-blade-z-max-z982-t3893323

TL;DR: No chance with this phone.