How to unlock the bootloader of older ZTE devices, /Devinfo partition modification

AlexenfermanAlexenferman United StatesPosts: 7 ✭✭
edited May 19, 2020 2:28PM in Developer's Lounge

I have discovered recently that unlocking the bootloader on budget ZTE devices with android 5.0, 6.0 until 7.1 is quite easy.

Tutorial:

Video:

I honestly did not think that this would go so wild. Apparently I was featured on XDA news for finding out that this was working on ZTE devices as well along with my credits to alpha security for showing this exploit, the device compatibility list and the firehose download list by @deadman96385 on XDA

This is a huge milestone as people with those unusable devices can compile a Lineage OS build for their device and give them a second life.

I am planning to get Android 10 for the ZTE Avid Plus. This might not sound realistic, but it is possible, with the amount of devices that ZTE makes with the same SOC. For example, the Canadian Z557 (With MSM8909 Soc) has Oreo and and has the same specs than my Avid plus with Lolipop.

I am quite happy for those accomplisments we made together.

I would not be suprised that ZTE will try to Censor us again, but the information is out, making their older budget devices more tempting to buy, and modify.