No USB OTG on axon 7?

Just asking if there truly isn't going to be any usb OTG on the axon 7, if not is the hardware in place so that it may be supported with an update or third party ROM (Assuming the bootloader will be unlocked, would be amazing since I want to make some ROMs for this).

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The phone supports USB OTG, although these are the chinese variants, they arent gonna remove the feature for no reason so its a safe bet the US model will include it as well as its build directly into Android and doesnt require 3rd party code

ZTE Axon - Pg. 10 | ZTE Axon Pro

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

You know, that's one of those things that's handy to have periodically, but I hardly ever use it.  There's so many other ways to get content off of the device and to someone else, that unless it's a large video file I wouldn't even consider USB-OTG. And I always carry at least one USB-A/C stick on my badge lanyard and one on my keychain, just in case (it's a geek thing).

• liquidshadowliquidshadow Miami, FlPosts: 10

I don't think of USB OTG as only using a usb stick on my phone to transfer files. I see it as an expansion slot with limited bandwidth that can eventually be used for other things in the future. The point of OTG is that a usb device connected to something can act as the host or the slave so it can be used for a lot more than just mass storage. I am interested in it only because I have some engineering friends that want to work on a project using OTG which is why I asked.

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

Now THAT brings up some interesting possibilities (I'm a diabetic, I have visions of an insulin reader peripheral). But other than that I'm more interested in Android Auto support myself.  Unless we're going to trade the car's head unit for a "peripheral" sound and HID interface system. Which wouldn't be a half-bad idea now that I think of it....

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally, I'll connect a usb unifier to my phone via OTG so I can use a Bluetooth keyboard with it to take notes. So, I hope OTG works on the US version of the Axon 7.

​ Im sure they will, they would have to purposefully remove the code to disable the feature from android and that would spark alot of consumer issues for ZTE. Remember everyone ZTE is trying to included every possible feature in the Axon series and trying to make the best phone out there, they wont remove features from the US model that are not necessary to remove, especially with how much they are keeping an eye on the info from these forums and other online venues.

yea they also are overpriced and try a different business model though.

• v8rmanv8rman Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 13

I thought with the current state of flagship devices, Usb otg was mostly dependent on software

So, did we ever get a definite answer about whether the Axon 7 supports OTG?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a USB-C Thumb drive but thanks ZTE for providing the adapter

Here is my OLD 32gb MicroUSb / USB 2.0 drive and yes supports USB-OTG.

1471757045317.jpgScreenshot_2016-08-20-22-17-57.jpg

• Just used a otg checker. It does seem to support otg

Outstanding! The Superbook Kickstarter campaign just ended and I'm one of the backers. As it relies on a usb-otg connector, my Axon 7 must be otg compatible. It's a relief to know that it is because I just assumed it was.

• mcanicmcanic The NetherlandsPosts: 106

I have the Axon 7 EU model, and it supports usb OTG. You have to format the usb stick with FAT32. I believe I couldn't get EXFAT to work.

I think USB OTG is handy for in case you need to create space on your device temporary.

Mmmmm not really here is my Portable 1TB Hard-drive  using NTFS (yes is a 2.5" hard-drive portable )  using a USB-C to USB 3.0 Adapter

1472008322371.jpg

• leapsevenleapseven Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭

Odd that it wouldn't support exfat as that is what my microsd card it formatted with and works fine. Can anyone else confirm this?I ordered a USB C OTG cable but it won't arrive until next week.

I ordered a USB C OTG cable but it won't arrive until next week. I also want to test a keyboard and mouse with it.

• nibiru2012nibiru2012 Austin TXPosts: 343 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can just format your microSD card to NTFS format and it will be recognized just fine.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

MIcrosoft has a bunch of patents for exfat and so it is more expensive to license to use it.. I agree that NTFS seems the best compromise for OTG.

Well I can confirm it works with my mouse ,so should work with any keyboard IMG_20160824_062904.jpg

• deckerdecker Posts: 19 ✭✭✭✭

Old post I know,  but figured this might help.. I hooked up my Seek Thermal XR via otg using the adapter that came with the phone.

IMG_20160824_223957.jpg

img_thermal_1472096494532.jpg

Also tested a Sony otg/usb-a thumb drive and it worked fine.

• mcanicmcanic The NetherlandsPosts: 106

If you use OSX (like me), NTFS can only be read and not written to or format. EXFAT supports files larger than 4 Gb and is fully supported on Windows and OSX. So that's why I tried EXFAT first and fell back to FAT32.

• nibiru2012nibiru2012 Austin TXPosts: 343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my order from Ebay for a 3.1 USB to Type C OTG dongle.  Only cost $3.95 w/free shipping from a US seller.

It works great with a fast response time, hardly any lag at all.  I tried both a Patriot XT Supersonic 8 GB 3.0 USB Flash drive and a Mushkin VenturaPro 32 GB 3.0 USB Flash drive.

They were both recognized and read in about 2-3 seconds.  I just had to remember to be sure to dismount the drive from the storage setting in the settings menu.

Ebay USB OTG Cable.jpg

Shipping time was about 4 business days.  Great price for a very good heavy duty cabled USB OTG dongle.

It gets the Nibiru2012 two thumbs up rating! 

• rcx_6000rcx_6000 Posts: 10 ✭✭✭✭

I know the thread is old but I have an A2017U running the last OTA update(B35) and it uses a kernel(3.18.31) with no OTG support enabled.

OTG is being always supported since day 1 ,

You mind posting a video while connecting the USB on the device?

I have successfully use a 1 TB Hard Drive (2.5") with out any problems before , even in older builds...

edited April 17, 2019 11:34PM

Nothing literally happens at all. I tried the same 2 devices, cord and ZTE adapter on 2 friend's phones and they both work fine. I also ran USB Host diagnostics on all 3 phones. Mine says no kernel support while the other 2 do and all 3 say android api support. Also if I run aida 64, I get "android.hardware.usb.accessory" and "android.hardware.usb.host" on all 3 phones. All 3 phones run stock rom's with no root or anything as well. It worked like 2 years ago when I first got it, but now it doesn't work at all and I tried using the same adapter, cord, and device that worked before. I also tried plugging an arduino into the cord and it doesn't turn on. I tried the setup on the usb-c port on my laptop and it works fine.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

OTG should work for you.

edited April 18, 2019 12:35AM

I have one of those, get no power with 3 different usb-c adapters including the one it comes with when plugged into the phone, but the adapters work fine for power and data as I can use them and a microusb cable to sync with my pc and they work fine with OTG on other phones. It's definitely a weird issue. I thought it might be the connector on the phone but that doesn't explain the lack of kernel OTG support showing on my phone.