Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How do you use mobile payments?

2»

Comments

• alanhoustonalanhouston Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have used the Starbucks app to pay at Starbucks because I earn free coffee.

I am waiting to see which forms of mobile pay become most widely accepted before getting involved with it.  The reports I have read about Samsung pay have been very favorable but I dislike the idea of a payment system being tied to one phone company.

In theory, a Google pay system that worked on 100% of Android phones, and that was accepted at 100% of places that accept VISA would appeal to me.

Currently I use a VISA card that pays a significant amount of rewards.  If a phone payment system means losing those rewards, that would be a concern.

• phydeuxphydeux Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

​  Whichever NFC app you use, it's simply a pass-through for the card in your wallet.  Any rewards your bank offers still apply because as far as the reader is concerned, you presented the same card as you would swipe.

As for 100% of Android phones supporting it, that's something you'd have to take up with the manufacturers.  Like the OnePlus series, 3 versions of their "flagship killer" and they're only now including NFC.  LG and HTC can't make up their minds, some have it, others don't.  Same with removable batteries.

But retailers are being forced to switch out boxes to support chips, and 90% of those boxes also support NFC.  Unfortunately you still have idiotic retailers like Walmart and Wendy's who prefer to use their own internal pay app that doesn't use NFC at all.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How often do you use mobile payments? Do you use them on a regular basis?

Don't use them enough to be concerned with this feature.  I go online and do my shopping from there.  Usually the website or chrome will store my information, but thankfully I use a pre-loaded card to shop so if its stolen it is only going to be a loss of what I loaded onto it and its secured by the issuing bank. I don't use this feature on a regular basis.

What payment method do you use? (Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay)

None but did try Android its on my Robin its OK. 

1. Are you satisfied with the current state of mobile payments? Can use improvement
    2. What concerns or expectations do you have for mobile payments? liability if hacked or stolen.  It can be hard to trace where anything was spent.
    3. Let us know the names of retail stores that you've used mobile payments at. Starbucks and Here at Dell.
  • phydeuxphydeux Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

​ - It's less of a liability if stolen because it requires a fingerprint on Apple or a pattern on Android to unlock the phone before it can be used.  And second, at least with Android Pay, the GPS location as well as the vendor are recorded as part of the receipt in your Google account.  And since you can go to any computer and log into your Google account, you can lock down or erase your phone as soon as you realize it's been stolen.  It takes longer than that just to find the security phone number of your bank to report a card stolen.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

True,. When it actually works. My experience hasn't been as satisfactory

as yours. Which I am glad, I would wish my experience with the pay system

on anyone.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Out of all the mobile payment system out there, Samsung Pay is probably the best, as it works with most terminals. Only thing is, it's only available on certain Samsung device.

• mi_lionmi_lion Posts: 92 ✭✭✭✭

Don't feel comfortable using Mobile Payments....

I not keep anything money, banking, or sensitive data on my cell phone.

Even a weird dude standing too close behind me scrolling through his cell phone

at check-out lanes makes me nervous when using a chip debit card ! Ha ha

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1. How often do you use mobile payments? Do you use them on a regular basis?

Seldomly- When I have forgotten my cards or when I am on a walk and I didnt want to take my cards with me.

1. What payment method do you use? (Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay)

Android Pay

1. Are you satisfied with the current state of mobile payments?

Not really, Everytime I have used Android Pay it has taken more than one attempt to complete the payment

1. What concerns or expectations do you have for mobile payments?

If I am going to be using Mobile payments over cards I will need them to work fluidly and not have to wonder if the store supports such payments.

1. Let us know the names of retail stores that you've used mobile payments at

Uber, Mcdonald, Ubereats

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started using AndroidPay with my Axon 7 mini. Once I figured out the trick of how to hold my phone to the terminal the right way, I was able to get it to work consistently. Since I got on the Nougat Beta, I haven't been able to use it all that much. Looking forward to the Nougat release so I can use it again. I use it at PetCo and Walgreens and ocassionally McDonald's. Oh, and my local supermarket chain (Big Y). I actually think it is more secure that an actual card, even with a chip. The whole "chip and sign" thing being done in the US really doesn't do much to add to security.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Android Pay: for payments where it is accepted
    Google Wallet: to transfer money to friends and family
    Paypal: pay for online purchases

• asbestosasbestos United StatesPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭

monthly autopay.. my fees are pretty straight and consistent monthly. I own my devices..

This discussion has been closed.