shame on you ZTE

leaving users behind with a device that have poential, but needs update to newer android platform, users have paid a lot for this device, its not a cheap projector, we expect you to update........,if it never happens i will not buy another device from you, and hopefully others will join in protesting with your bad support....

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

​ with the Spro 2 being over 2 years old at this point, it is very unlikely that the device will see any new version of Android.  I agree it would be great to see on the Spro so I will definitely pass this information along to the ZTE team

• it is long time ago updates have bin requested , and many serious brands update their devices with new versions as long as hardware can keep up with it.

ZTE have just waited so long with updating that over 2 years have gone

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is many more factors in deciding on an update for a device other than just whether the hardware can handle it and people wanting one. Most people want updates however its about what is economical for the company. Since there is multiple variants it means creating multiple builds to support those different models, then it requires internal testing from ZTE, then has to be approved by Google, then sent to the 2 carriers which ZTE has to pay a hefty fee for to get the updates approved, then there' s the beta test and the teams needed for each build. Its not as simple, fast or cheap as people think. For ZTE to justify the 100's of thousands of dollars a device needs to sell millions of units to be able to disperse the cost across many sales. There is alot more to an update than just getting some code from Google and sending it to all the devices. This is why even the largest OEMS dont often support a device with more than 1 OS update and those are on there flagship phones, and because of the larger mark up being able to cover the cost of the R&D and testing and the engineers to build the code needed. Then there is also component manufacturers having to supply the drivers and firmware updates and patches for them to incorporate into the update, sometimes contracts for components to have an update are not available and OEMS arent able to get all the code needed to complete the update. These are just a few of the most common reasons updates dont make it out the door of the OEMS. But there are so many factors that go into the decision that its hard to say why they didnt update but the Spro2

• bla.bla.bla  is spro 2 not flagship ? most of code is opensource,  only thing preventing outside developers is locked bootloader and locked bootloaders is a demand from some providers of content and aps .

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've never used an Spro before but since it's a projector and not a phone, what benefits would come from upgrading the OS?

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 182 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh I don't think it needs an update. Plus I thought ZTE was coming out with a newer projector.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,173 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Because the Spro 2 is a projector the need to update OS is less urgent, you shouldn't be installing IM apps  but as Android updates so do the apps. Eventually there will be apps that we would use on the projector that will no longer be supported on Kitkat. Granted I haven't seen that problem yet, but I feel this is a matter of 'when' instead of 'if'; especially if your use- case changes slightly. But if we just stick to 'movies in the backyard and presentations in the boardroom' then Kitkat should suffice for a while.

• the idea of having android build in is that you can run aps direct, android is upgraded, and app developers will not for long time support kitkat,

you already have latest kodi as i think is a major drawback not having support for.

i will advice every that are thinking of buying projector do not buy one with build in OS, it is a Waste of monie if they are not supported

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod

I also have the Spro2, and while I will agree it would be great to receive an update, I'm not expecting it. I have seen quite a few reviews that imply this is a hybrid projector, tablet. Due to this form factor, I too assumed it would at some point receive an update. I haven't run into any issues with apps I use daily. everything is working great. If at some point an app becomes unsupported, Ill find something else that will do the job. I love my Spro2, and would buy another projector from ZTE without a second thought.

• jasonejasone United States Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the worry about app compatibility but KK still has a pretty big market share. I looked it up and it still has a 20% market share. Sure that will continue to dwindle and everyone loves an update, but I think developers will continue to support it when it has that large of a share.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nougat-rises-49-share-march-android-platform-numbers

• diamonddavediamonddave United StatesPosts: 373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

what functionality do expect an update to a newer Android OS provide?  Where is the current device lacking?  I certainly don't consider  ZTE  to give bad support. This device does not need to be updated in my eyes. It currently meets all of my needs.  I'd rather they continue to work on phone updates. I don't believe there will be any more updates to the SPro 2. And I'd  prefer they did not break it by releasing an update that is not necessarily  needed. That's just my opinion. 

• the projector needs the update as mentioned for apk support, and there is other reasons like ........you can not power off on remote, and if you are in hdmi mode, you can not change it back to android from remote. .

developing apks for kitkat is running out, those 20 % that are running kitkat, is likely people with only needs of phoning and messaging,  rarely for running multimedia

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Considering it can already do more than the projector we have in our small conference room at work, I really like the sPRO 2.  If it does somehow stop getting app updates, there is always HDMI input and a memory card slot.

• what is the idea of buying a projector  with build in OS, and then have to have external device, because of bad support, for the Cash you could have a full hd projector......i wish i had done that

• No the Spro is not flagship, not now nor when it was release in Jan of 2015. You bought a device thats old, and no promise to update has been made so how is that bad support for ZTE? Clearly you dont know how development works, as there is millions of lines of code in a smartphone or android device. If it was as simple as just copying and pasting the code over every device would get updated. A very small fraction of the code is open source, ask any developer on XDA and they will tell you the same thing.

• wahapainanwahapainan Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

Agreed, I bought my Spro 2 6 months ago and was shocked to see I paid full price for a product that is already outdated.

The Spro 2 is an android device thus if the operating system is outdated many of the newer apps won't run on it. I'm running into  the issue now where apps won't install due to the android version being outdated.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,173 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

most recent issue I've had this week is that the epSXE emulator newest update crashes on tge Spro2. Not sure if its a compatability issue or just a bad update. In any case its any easy fix by installing an older apk of the app.

I have to disagree, I have several $30.00 android devices and they have all been upgraded. There is no reason that ZTE can't upgrade the operating system or at least provide customers the means to do it themselves. To not support this product and keep it locked down so the community can't support it is wrong.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As with any technology, do research first and base your choices on that.  Keep in mind when it was released, what the features are, the forums responses both positive and negative, your needs, warranty, support and of course price. 

Its just like a car, once you buy it and drive it off the lot, it is no longer worth what you paid for it.  Its the nature of the beast. 

The point being what you paid full price for is new and unused.  While I do agree, a discount for dated technology would of been great, which that's why I take advantage of flash sales via Ali and Gear, it is at the full discretion of the retailer or manufacturer.  Wish we had better news for you, but as it is said "it is what it is" which is unfair to both parties.  One, where they are trying to keep up with new technology and the other, the consumer, not wanting to keep buying new hardware for the new software that is available. Trust me we do understand.  Which leads me back to my original statement, do research and evaluate the price point you are willing to part with considering the next day, month, or year the next new thing will be available.  Best example Apple.

• ztecursedztecursed Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

These things are complete junk as they break for no reason at all and ZTE tech support can't even fix the issue. I'm going to throw this item away if I can't get a resolution for the projector problem. ZTE tech said they had absolutely no idea why images are grilled and barred like UPC codes.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod

@ztecursed Good Evening, and Welcome to Z-Community. Does this show on screen as well as in projection mode? Have you tried factory restoring the device? Is it possible that you enabled something in developers settings menu?

• ztecursedztecursed Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

I did a factory reset. No change.