Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

[Survey] Would you be interested in one key transfer function to transfer data between two cell phon

yindanyindan Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello, This week Consumer Lab would learn about your behaviors and attitudes towards data transferring between two cell phones.

Please take 2 minutes to complete this survey. Click on the link below to get started:

http://datatransfer.surveyanalytics.com 

Your answers will provide great assistance for us. If you qualify and complete this survey, in appreciation, you may win a $25 Amazon gift card.

There is no correct answer. Please leave your comments regarding one key transfer function if you would like to share with us!

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A one key / one click transfer function would be really nice for those who aren't as tech savvy as other users to make it easier to transfer data.
    NFC really makes it easier too, and when done properly, via Bluetooth is also a fairly simple way to do it as well.

Creating something proprietary and calling it something like "Z-trans" would be pretty cool to see and use on ZTE devices.
    Of course the WeShare app already does a similar function very effectively. I have used the WeShare app several times now,
    and I really like it a lot.

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would never use it. There are plenty of ways to do that already.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I use Google's​ backup and restore which works well for me. Another method would be good if it work properly.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is a helpful function for many, but I'm not one of those who uses it. I think it's good to offer the option because you should try to make everything easier for the customer. I'm just not the typical customer and I find Google syncs pretty much everything I need or want. Every user is different though and offering options is always a good thing.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use a combo of both google and usb.  Only reason as I've been having issues with contacts being duplicated and causing a mess as some will be missing when i switch phones. 

• lecraelecrae mexicoPosts: 1

una aplicacion nativa y de interfaz intuitiva y miimalista estaria genial,espero la agan

• If it only worked with ZTE phones(..ie.. ZTE old backup to New ZTE phone Restore) it Wouldn't be all that Great. Samsung does that with Samsung Backup/Restore. Both phones have to be Samsungs. A good one touch backup/restore would be Nice, but I'm sure a few things would be left out. I had to use a variety of methods to go from very old pantech Android ver. 4.1.2 to My Axon 7. Most in conjunction with a USB cable. Did Contacts, SMS/Call Logs, Pics and Videos, Downloads, and Notepad Docs. The only Problem was with Notepad Docs which synced with Google Docs but No File Name Options with Notepad. Even with New ZTE phone Google Docs is awkward when it come to File Names. It would be nice if it were more PC Like.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is a useful function to have, but it has to be done right.

For example for android, it should not copy contacts or other data found in the google account, as that can lead to unwanted duplicates.

The main issue with most transfer and backup utilities, is that they do not save you from some of the most time consuming things.

For example, weshare will transfer my apps, and their app data, but it will not transfer over the icon locations, thus I am stuck manually positioning 50+ icons across multiple home screens. Since I keep the positioning the same, it makes it very fast for me to quickly launch a specific app since I know where each one is located. That is the most time consuming aspect of my device setup, and no one seems to offer a way to speed that process up.

If 2 devices are running android 7 and have the same amount of screen space for icons and widgets, then why not just transfer that stuff over?

• dirkmasterdirkmaster Garland, TXPosts: 2

Not to be a security crackpot, but without knowing how ZTE planned to store the info, or transmit it, or anything, I will stick with my present methods, so that I know what security precautions have been taken, and what I should be concerned about.

• batman101batman101 Posts: 134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backing everything up to Google and restoring is the most simple way to me.  I've used things like Moto migrate and some apps from Lg to transfer apps and data when I had the G4.  Although some of those apps wasn't bad at all I still found it easier using Google's​ backup and restore.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you. Google Restore always gives me great results.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. This might have made sense a couple of years ago, but there are assorted easy solutions to transfer data currently.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont use any application to set up my new device. When i setup my new device, I start fresh. Google Contacts cares of transferring contacts to new device, when log in and Photos are always backed up on Google Server, so when i sign in, All my photos are there.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used Google's Backup and Restore when I transferred to the Axon 7, but it isn't all that great. I somehow lost a bunch of contacts and messages in the process, and no app data was saved. I'd definitely use a transfer app provided it's a simple one-click process that transfers EVERYTHING, not little things here and there.

• As well as all the options  that are available..having more is good thing. I would use it! Also naming the app "Z to Everything".. sounds Awesome..lol

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty satisfied with using my Google Play account to transfer and setup a new phone, since I only do this a couple times a year when I move devices or do a FDR I think it is nice to have, but not sure it is worth putting a lot of time into unless you are trying to further simplify helping people move from Apple to Google. Even then I would just let Google fight that battle and implement what they propose. If a user wants other data such as call log and sms there are many applications for getting those over to a new phone.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A 1 click to transfer (or even better to Backup) would be great,......especially one that will ensure that all of your text, and sms messages are backup in the proper format and keep all your group texts together as they were previously.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

done. I personally prefer do a fresh setup whenever i got a new device to avoid any potential problem. I often found any of the data transfer app can either cause problem or potentially will have issue down the line. Personally, I found that the only thing that I really need to backup that google has not done for me is the text message.

• maineferraromaineferraro MainePosts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the best way , I give it to my wife and she takes care of it lol So yes i would use this type of button , would let me do it on my own

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We have role reversal going on. My wife hands it to me and I take care of it.

I wouldn't trade off though. She handles 90% of everything else.

• tdelontdelon Louisville,KYPosts: 3

One key transfer would make changing phones much simpler and time saving. 

This discussion has been closed.