O.M.G. -- Lineage has saved my Axon 7. Hallelujah!

If you don't read any further: Install Lineage OS and get the phone you deserved.

I gave up on my Axon 7 after the last update to B25 or whateverTF. It brought back the "screen on during phone calls" problem, which was just another in a LOOOONG series of frustrations I've had with the A7. I went back to a nearly four-year-old Droid MAXX. At least if effing WORKED -- unlike the A7 -- but I'd forgotten how slow it was. And no FP scanner. A tiny, low-res screen. Horrible back-of-device speaker. Broken headphone jack. But it was still better than the A7. :-)

But it drove me mad to see such a nice piece of hardware sit unused on a desk for days. I knew Lineage was out there, but it had so many issues (or so I thought), and I hadn't rooted a phone in years. But I had nothing to lose. I spent six hours yesterday checking sites, reading instructions, downloading files and crossing my fingers. It wasn't super easy -- the myriad instructions are vague and sometimes contradictory -- but I got it done, and it's the best technology move I've ever made.

This -- THIS -- is the phone I wanted when I bought the Axon 7. Eff you, ZTE. This is what you should've given us: software that works. The FP scanner is ten times more accurate on LOS. I have ambient display now. The screen doesn't come on during calls. Bluetooth works. The microphone works. GPS works. And on and on. I finally have the phone I thought ZTE was going to sell me. I've only had LOS installed for 24 hours, so there may be a bug or two I haven't discovered (I don't care about Daydream FWIW), but so far 99% of the bugs I had with MiFavor are GONE!!!!! (Calendar and email notifications still seem to be delayed.)

Thank you, Unjustified Dev and DrakenFX. I am going to donate $$ to you, because you made my $400 paperweight usable again. After using it for a day (hell, I even just got an OTA update for a new nightly that installed flawlessly -- I didn't even know LOS did that!), it proves to me that the hardware is really good and that the software truly ruined this phone.

And jimlloyd, if you're listening, -- and I know you are -- you told a hundred people a hundred times about the screen-on-during-calls problem that they "just weren't holding it right." Put tape over the sensor. Blah, blah, blah. I'm sure you're a super-nice guy, but I got so sick of hearing that BS. Just like I was before the Nougat update that caused the problem, I'm still holding my phone exactly like I did before, and it WORKS on LOS. It's not the way I'm holding it. It's shi**y software from ZTE. No personal offense. Seriously. But that constant blaming everyone else for being idiots just really got my hackles up.

If you have one eye and half sense, as my grandparents used to say, root this phone and install LOS on it. It's 1000X better than I thought it would be, and it changed my Axon 7 purchase from one of my greatest technological blunders to one of my biggest technological thrills. This truly is a great phone. It just has some of the worst software on the planet.

I swear I'm not trolling. I'm just giving my personal experience and rejoicing in my new phone. I wanted to love the Axon 7. And now I do.

Peace. Love. Android.

NerveBag

Comments

• rjt378rjt378 ChicagoPosts: 63 ✭✭✭✭

I flashed LOS on another phone I have as a backup. Great OS. I just cant bring myself to kill my warranty five months into ownership. Im not made of money and my backup phone is many times worse in terms of specs. Next year, maybe. I intend on keeping the A7 for at least 3 years, if not longer. I dont actually need anything more in terms of specs.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Din you unlock the bootloader and install TWRP  like here

And then installed LineageOS and gapps from TWRP ?

• stanthemanstantheman Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear LOS has helped! I do have one question/concern.....you state, and I quote "(Calendar and email notifications still seem to be delayed.)"

What is your LTE reception like when in locations where the signal may be restricted for whatever reason? Do the people around you have a signal when you don't? Did LOS help with LTE?

Don't just look at the signal bars as they mean nothing. Look in settings at the dBm level and report back if you can.

• Yes, sir. The instructions leave little details out here and there, and it's definitely not a step-by-step, handholding guide, but with a bit of past root experience and a couple of other guides I foudn on other sites, it wasn't that difficult.

Now that the honeymoon period is over, I have found a few glitches. No way to take slo-mo video, as far as I can tell. You can't change the order of the capacitive keys. The sound seems considerably louder than before.

But all-in-all, it is millions of times better than MiFavor/Stock. Double-tap to wake works again without having the screen come on during calls. The ambient display is awesome. No useless, uninstallable ZTE bloat. It went from one of the worst phones I've ever owned to one of the best. And I feel like LOS will only improve. They've ironed out SO many bugs and features in just a couple of months -- more than ZTE has since the phone was released. I'm SUPER pleased with it.

• I don't have the hard data from dBm, but I can tell you anecdotally that the LTE reception is no better. There's a restaurant that my girlfriend and I go to a lot that I had perfect signal on my MAXX. But I often have 3G or no signal at all on the Axon. That hasn't changed. When I'm indoors -- like in Best Buy -- and want to check a price on something, it often can't connect. Still the case. That's very frustrating, I'll admit. But I don't think any number of software updates is going to help that. I truly think it's just a bad physical design or a bad radio. If that could've been fixed with software, I think it would've by now.

I'm not sure what the notification delay is all about. I'm on wi-fi 90% of the time, so it's not the LTE radio. But my gmail or calendar notifications are often 10-20 minutes late. I haven't had time to delve deeply into the settings yet. Maybe there's something I can change to fix that. But I'm guessing that's a design flaw as well, 'cause none of the settings on MiFavor fixed it.

But the reception's no WORSE than it was before, and at least I can now make phone calls on it and have a bunch of features that ZTE blocked. :-)

• I'm not a spec junky either. I actually tried a BLU One Life X (or whatever it was) before this, and I would've been perfectly happy with it except it had several flaws (much like the A7) of having callers not hear me or the screen coming on during calls, etc. They actually fixed all that pretty quickly, but I'd already bought the A7 before I learned of that. My girlfriend has been using the BLU for months now, though, without any problems. I just wasn't patient enough. :-)

But I feel like I've been patient enough with this phone. ZTE isn't going to fix everything wrong with this phone. Ever. It was either root it or literally throw it in the trash and buy something else. I rolled the dice, and other than the continued poor LTE reception and a few minor bugs in LOS that don't really matter to me, I'm finally actually happy with this phone.

• My three main points of concern to root and install lineage are:

- Camera

- Stereo Speakers / Sound quality

- Fingerprint Scanner

How are these items with Lineage OS? I know they were troubled in the past, hence why I didn't update.

• ooklathemokooklathemok Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have on-screen buttons with LOS? The capacitive buttons on my A7 are killing the experience for me. That along, with the weak vibration motor causing me to miss calls/texts, has me looking to replace my A7 as soon as something I like comes out. It's a shame cuz I otherwise love my phone.

Is it the kind where the on-screen buttons disappear and you have to swipe/press to access them?

• tomhardytomhardy Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOS will do this if the most recent file in not in data/data/org.lineageos.updater/app_updates.  If you don't use the built in updater the file won't be there.  f you manually move the file and reboot it won't suggest downloading.

And there it is. That's why I don't switch to LOS. If there's one thing you can do wrong, I'll do it. If there's five things you can do wrong, I'll do all of those. Then I'll have no phone to complain about.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've got two Axons i may actually try this on one just to see the difference.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

there a HUGE difference all the hard work from the developers teams show big time. It highlights the Axon 7 and truly makes it shine.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't messed with rooting for a while and unlocking boot loaders but may be worth it. As there are many thumbs up.  i just don't like the nightlies like Cyanogen cause they fix one thing and break another. 

• prozartprozart Back EastPosts: 3

​ Did you run into any problems mounting the SD card in recovery? I spent about four hours the other night trying to unlock the bootloader and had no luck. I'd downgrade to B29 I think it was and that went fine, but then when I'd try to go from that to B20 it said it couldn't mount the SD card. I tried everything under the sun with no success. I'm now planning on selling the phone and going back to my Nexus 6, but your post kinda motivated me to give it another shot.

I posted on XDA and here a couple weeks ago and no one has responded. Not that it's anyone else's responsibility to fix my problems, but even just being acknowledged and given a couple suggestions would be nice. Anyway if you ran into this problem or if you have any ideas let me know!

Excellent.  I may give it a go.  Just thinking last time i messed around with rooting and unlocking boot loaders I bricked my phone.  Thankfully I have more than one but still hate to see one dead.  Lol!! 

The person just above your post had difficulties. 

ooh!  Nice. 

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There's no reason the LTE reception would change as LOS uses the same radio stack as stock.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Camera works fine.  You can sideload the ZTE camera and have the same performance as on stocl.

The recent updates to LOS include stereo without the previous distortion.

Fingerprint scanner works at least as well as on stock.

• prozartprozart Back EastPosts: 3

Alright, thanks! I tried to PM but I guess you can't do that unless they're following you, so I'll just hope he sees my post here. The frustrating thing is I haven't come across anyone who's had the same problem. And it consistently was able to mount the sd card in every other ROM version except for B29.