How do you receive text notifications from your phone?

onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I receive email and calendar notifications from my phone but no text notifications. Is there a setting for that?

I thought this was covered already but I could not find it...

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, onemat

did you download/update the messenger app on the watch?

can you check under connectivity, cellular, advanced, watch shares number with phone. Do you have "text messages" enabled? If you have that option enabled, then it essentially set the watch as your primary text messaging app and number.

To get the notification from text messages sent to your phone's number, disable the share text messaging. This way, any text sent to your phone will give you a notification on the watch. And if you open the messaging app, you would have the option to switch between sending from the watch or the phone by tapping the phone/watch icon on the top of the messaging app.

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sam,,,

did you download/update the messenger app on the watch?  It's on the watch, don't know if it's updates

can you check under connectivity, cellular, advanced, watch shares number with phone. Do you have "text messages" enabled?  Where do I do that?

If you have that option enabled, then it essentially set the watch as your primary text messaging app and number.

To get the notification from text messages sent to your phone's number, disable the share text messaging. This way, any text sent to your phone will give you a notification on the watch. And if you open the messaging app, you would have the option to switch between sending from the watch or the phone by tapping the phone/watch icon on the top of the messaging app.

Does the watch have to have Cellular service enabled to receive tests from the phone?

for the share number,

pull down and tap on the gear icon to go into setting (or just press the power button and go to setting) Then tap connectivity, cellular, advanced, watch shares number with phone.

what do you mean receive tests? The watch does have its own sim and number and it has cellular connectivity.

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 154 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Tests should have read "texts".  Right now at work, I have no cellular inside. What I was wondering is this:  My watch is paired with my phone. I am getting the phone notifications on the watch just fine. I was thinking, if I received a text message on my phone, a copy of it would go to the watch via bluetooth.

When the watch is actually on the cell network, I think you are saying that I should be receiving the phone's text messages on the watch. Do I have that correct?

Kind of.

Basically, the "share number" option let the watch share the number with the phone and the watch is more or less the primary number. So when you make calls or send text on the watch, they will go out using the watch's number.

So,if you have toggle on the "Share number for the text message" Then your outgoing text message would be from the watch's phone number. This is regardless if your watch is  connected to the cellular network because data can still be send via wifi (and I am not 100% certain but I believe even through your phone's cell connectivity if the phone and watch are synced via BT).

Basically if you would like to see text messages on your phone showing up on the watch, then toggle the "share watch number-->text message". This would let your watch and the phone acts as 2 separate number where if you get a text on the phone, you would get a notification on the watch (when the two are paired together via BT). And you can reply the text on your watch or phone.

mess01.png . mess02.png

The watch is still a companion to your phone. If you do not have share number for text message enabled, when you open up the messaging app, you should see the ability to select to send a text from the watch or from the phone. When you select from the phone (even when the watch is connected to the cellular network), the text message would still go out through your phone.