Pink cast on Axon 7 screen

I looked at an Axon 7 at Best Buy considering a purchase. The model they had was working. I accessed the New York Times to compare with my Nexus 5 showing the same page. I thought my Nexus 5 was clearer but my biggest concern was that the Axon 7 screen had a pink cast to it. Several sales people attempted to adjust settings to get rid of it without success. I have not seen this mentioned in any reviews.

I also looked at the Moto G5 Plus for comparison. No pink screen and the text seemed to be clearer

Anyone have any comments?

Answers

• crcostelcrcostel ChicagoPosts: 65 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone adjust color temperature? Might be set to warm.

I have yet to hear anyone complain about the A7 having a tint. The s8 has gotten lots of reports of it though.

• Yes, they tried that to no avail. Thank you for your response. That would certainly be the first thing to try.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the unit you were looking at was defective? You would think it would have been reported already if it was common. (One thing that works well for removing a colour cast from a screen is the Screen Balance app. The regular version is free, doesn't require root, and did an automatic colour correction on my G2 that made it look noticeably better even though I already had a separate rgb adjustment.)

• Thanks for the suggestion.I suppose the model I looked at could be defective. The app you suggested looks good but I don't like the idea of having to "fix" a new phone. The background of a newspaper should be white and the text very clear. Even ignoring the pink color, the text is not as clear as my Nexus 5 or the Moto G5 Plus I looked at. I wish there were more places to see the phone. Only Best Buy appears to carry it.

• ekdeck , check to see if night light is on. go to settings , display , scroll down to night light . if it is set to automatically come on it will do so at sunset and go off at sunrise. or you can turn on at will. turns it to amber color. just a thought.

• Its the night light feature. It removes the blue light which scientist say keeps your brain active at nights; which prevents you from sleeping.

It can be disabled in the display settings. There is also an option for it to automatically turn on at nights and off in the morning.

• Thanks. I will go to Best Buy tomorrow and see if turning off the night light feature helps. Unfortunately, Best Buy is the only place I can see the phone. I'm seriously considering the Moto G5 plus instead.

• G5 is a good phone. I got one for my mom. But the price difference with the axon 7 does add some advantages.

Note that the American version of the g5 does not have dual sim.

Second from my experience the cinematic experience of the axon 7 is right there at the top. I have not experienced HTC's front facing speakers but I don't find axon 7 lacking. Note that the g5 has a single front firing speaker which throws you off when in landscape mode.

The g5 does have less quirks in software (more refined),  but axon 7 has come a long way with updates.

On that note,  if you plan on experimenting/modding etc., avoid axon 7. They advertise like they are open to developers but they are definitely not. I mean I can't even change the fonts, even with root.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've not noticed a pink tint at all to my Axon 7 and that is something that drove me crazy on my Nexus 6P. I was so glad to see better screen color with the Axon 7, along with the option to change the color. I do wish they would offer more granular controls for this though. Good call on the night light feature @Zip that seems to be the most probable answer.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The "Natural" color profile is not correct for the Axon 7's display.  Find the "Screen effect" settings and change the saturation to "Colorful."  I filed a few bug reports but I've given up on ZTE fixing things.

• Thanks for all suggestions. I actually drove all the way to another Best Buy to look at the phone. Same pink cast. The sales person tried all your suggestions to no avail. I have decided to buy the Moto G5 plus. It's probably as good, if not better than my current failing Nexus 5. The $100 difference in price for the 64GB models is nice, too.

This is a very helpful forum. I hope to find a good forum for the Moto G5 plus. It seems I always need help .

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have made a very WISE choice.  The only kind of support you're going to get out of ZTE is:  clear the cache partition, clear the storage partition, etc.  The software on the Axon 7 is TERRIBLE and performs like beginner programmers wrote it.   The UI is VERY inconsistent so you can imagine what it all looks like under the covers. 

• Lol I would pay to see some of the source code.

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 117 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a moto G series phone user for years, bought the Moto G2 brand new, and the Moto G4 plus, brand new when it came out.

I left Moto forever because their build quality and customer service has declined rapidly since Lenovo bought them.

The first Lenovo-built phone in the G series was the Moto G3, and it was plagued with a defective screen that suffered from phantom "Ghost touches".

Over on their forums, Moto/Lenovo was made aware of this, yet they did nothing. All variations of the follow-up Moto G4 suffer from this same ghost touch problem and the run-around from customer service on this issue is unbelievable. They have a long 100+ page thread about this, and Moto/Lenovo will tell you to submit for the phone for factory repair as it is a hardware issue, and they insist that their repair centres know how to fix the problem, but the thread is full of people that have had to re-submit their phone 2 or 3 times and the Ghost touches always come back. They can't get a refund.

Moto/Lenovo seems to be replacing the defective screens with new/unused versions of the exact same screen instead of a more robust screen, and thus a repaired phone is on a countdown until it starts experiencing Ghost touches too. This seems to be a temporary fix designed to run out the 12-month warranty and nothing more.

On top of all this, Their brand new, just-launched Moto G5's have also started exhibiting the Ghost touch problem. Threads are popping up on that forum with the same "solution" offered.

So to sum up: Moto/Lenovo knew as far back as the G3 that their screens are faulty and have a high failure rate, they continued to use these screens into the G4 series, and into this year's G5 series and they have no permanent fix for the problem, they won't recall the phones, and they don't offer refunds.

Stay away from Moto G phones.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

wow, I didn't know this. I have not had any screen issue with my A7. I haven't heard of many issues with it either.