Replacement Phones are on Back Order for weeks

I tried to get my phone repaired under warranty but replacement Axon 7's are on back order. I filed yesterday and they had no idea when more devices were coming. I called again today and I was told ZTE won't know until Friday and at that time we won't know if we have one for you or how much longer it will take if we don't.

How can a company so larger not have a grasp on their supply chain?

I feel it's time to move to a different manufacturer. It does me little good to have a warranty when there is no Service Level Agreement to hold ZTE's feet to the fire.

Totally Frustrated

Comments

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is not good.  I bought my phone in Dec. 2016 and have the two-year warranty.  I use my phone for work on a daily basis.  Literally!  I rate ads for Facebook on Android mobile.  I provide my own equipment since I'm a remote independent contractor.  So say my Axon 7 Premium ($541) fails?  I can't wait weeks for  replacement or I'm out of a job!   Way to go ZTE!   

• This is absolutely horrible. They received my RMA phone on 5/24 and as of today nothing, no phone, no parts, nothing and they do not know when. I just wrote a detailed letter to ZTE USA CEO about the situation but when I tried to fax it, no answer and no one answered their phone either. I will try again tomorrow. My phone is only 5 months old, they have it now and I have nothing!!!!!

• OMG. I am not going to hold my breathe for a phone coming in then...in this month.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Credit card companies and US states usually do have warranty terms.  You could call your CC company to see if a refund is due.

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ug. I just sent mine in for warranty work 1.5 weeks ago since it started boot looping. If they have no RMA stock, they should be sending us new phones or refund the money and keep the RMA phone. Dealing with the CC company would only help if someone bought directly from ZTE. I got mine at BB but ZTE has the phone, so I think I'd be out of luck in that avenue.

Hopefully they can just fix whatever is wrong (I'm hoping it was just a weird system wide software corruption -- which is still bad) and send mine back to me.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's inexcusable that ZTE doesn't set aside a certain number of phones for warranty and advanced  exchanges. What good is the warranty if you're waiting indefinitely for a replacement?

• ZTE will not refund unless you purchased directly from them but only within 30 days from date of purchase. So we are all out of luck as far as refund is concerned. The only avenue I know of to get refunded is to take ZTE to Small Claims Court.

• ZTE is a large corporation, they provide technology to many countries around the world, just google it. So to them, we are nothing and their warranty has no value.

• riverive Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is why there are consumer protection entities, and why class actions exist.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.consumer.ftc.gov%2Farticles%2F0252-warranties" class="Popup

• architeuthisarchiteuthis Posts: 223 ✭✭✭✭✭

​ maybe you could chime in on this, it seems pretty serious what other fellow Axoners are going through

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,087 admin

I and have both chimed in ... we have too many threads discussing the same issue and users are not seeing the information.

RMA Axon 7 USA

• sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 3,087 admin

If anyone else needs assistance, please DM .

• bcsydombcsydom Posts: 112 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a similar issue, I can not use my phone as a phone anymore. Just now (6/13) spoke to a CS and they said that I will get an advanced exchange device by the end of this week. Sounds good but my RMA has been waiting since April. And I don't really believe them since they told me the same thing two weeks ago.

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread.  I wonder if this means that production runs on the A7 has ended, or is nearing the end, and new version (A8?) is being readied?? 

• Hopefully it doesn't come to that "Class Action", but perhaps it is the only solution if ZTE continues in this manner!

I just received a message from ZTE USA: "our back ordered shipment will arrive this week, and we will proceed with
    finalizing and processing all claims". I will believe it when I see it!

• Hopefully it doesn't come to that "Class Action", but perhaps it is the only solution if ZTE continues in this manner!

I received a message from ZTE USA this morning: "our back ordered shipment will arrive this week, and we will proceed with
    finalizing and processing all claims". I will believe it when I see it!

I don't know anything about the production schedule for the A7 but of course they are getting the A8 ready.

• Even if the production run for Axon 7 has ended, ZTE is legally bound to honor its warranty.

• I agree this is inexcusable and ZTE should fill the void with new units since they can't turn around repaired models fast enough.

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there are four people complaining here -- hardly a matter for a class action lawsuit.  ZTEUSA warranty is better than some brands, and all brands have a pretty wide leeway when it comes to repair or "equivalent" replacement, and there is no performance deadline in the warranty. Because of that, most people I know (including myself) keep a drawer full of old phones to use as spares for such occasions.  All you have to do is take out the SIM card and put it in the old phone and you are good to go.  And if per chance you don't have a drawer full of old phones, you can buy a new one at WalMart for maybe $25 that will tide you over.

And at least you have some A7 replacements on the way.  If my phone (another brand) goes south, there are no part or repairs possible, and (of course) it is out of warranty, so not even equivalent replacemnt. 

But if they have no supply that's what is causing delays with exchanges because they have to take the time to repair instead.

Then I recommend that you get an A7.

• My other concern is the number of replacements phones that are sent out are defective as well. I was just reading around in the forum and after waiting weeks for a replacement the replacement is no broken/defective as well.

You're right. I can't remember which thread it was but there is one guy who was getting his fourth replacement.

• I am not suggesting a class action lawsuit, small claims courts yield much faster and more successful results, but again, I hope it does not come to that. The fact that only a few are complaining in this forum does not mean that many others are not suffering as we are. Not every one is active in forums or have the time to follow up as we are doing.

Again, please do not miss the point. ZTE, as is the case with all other corporations, is obligated to serve its clients and not keep them hanging. The fact that they are not the worst is not an acceptable justification.

I'm not sure small claims court would be helpful because of jurisdiction and collection problems.

• My problem is I need a dependable work phone and if I have to buy two because a replacement cannot be had in a couple of days then this is just not working for me. I can't rely on ZTE as a business phone.

I was in the same boat right after I got my A7 last July. I couldn't count on it and that's how I ended up with the Alcatel Idol 4S. My A7 is fine now though.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately small claims is not a viable option for most folks unless you are not far from Dallas TX.

Most states small claim courts require you to sue in the court district that the business or individual is located in.

Too far to travel and too costly to sue in small claims court. You could buy a new phone cheaper.

• This is not totally accurate. ZTE has registered offices in a number of states (check their USA website). But let's not jump the gun and hope they will resolve the problem in the next week or so.