Bluetooth Speaker Contest Winners

1234568»

Comments

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having issues with their bluetooth speaker not charging? I've tried 3 or 4 times at this point, and it works and connects to devices while it's plugged in but doesn't turn on after I unplug it even after letting it charge for 8 hours.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When you connect it, is a red light on the back of the device turning on, and if so, does it eventually turn off, or does it remain on all the time?

PS, the speaker can be charged while it is turned on (great for avoiding the startup sound).

Also, which charger are you using. It has worked with everything I have tried, and has a max charge rate of 0.59 amps at 5V.

I tried its own charger connected to my laptop (played it while connected. Everything was working while connected). I then tried with my OPO charger. The red light turns on and everything, and if I turn the speaker on, it stays on, but if I disconnect it, it doesn't seem to hold charge at all.

Not sure if the light eventually turns off. Maybe I will try again tonight and report back.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,248 mod

My family has used it almost daily since receiving it and have not experienced any issues yet.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not an electronics expert but the ratings for the speaker are

USB DC OUT5V 1A

and the ratings for the Oneplus One charger are:

Output5V - 2A

Any of you experts know if that would cause an issue?

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,989 admin

Hi , let me know if anything has changed overnight.

If I'm not mistaken, the charger only outputs the current required by the device.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Like I said, I'm no electronics expert   Good to know ​ as I know I have used multiple cables and chargers with multiple devices and haven't had issues, but I've read about some who have.  Good luck!

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, a 2 amp charger should not experience any voltage drop that would cause this behavior. If it is still having issues, then it makes me wonder if there is an issue with the charging circuit within the Bluetooth speaker.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

I agree with Razor512. The only thing that should happen is that the 2 amp charger charges your speaker a littler faster than a 1 amp charger.

Unfortunately, nothing changed over night. I let it charge from 12 midnight to 12 noon. The red light was on the entire time it was plugged in. I unplugged it, light went off as expected turned it on, nothing happens (no light, no sound).

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,989 admin

, please send me a DM.

Thanks!

Charger isn't the problem for the speaker. I tried with the included charger first, and while the speaker was plugged in it worked. Doesn't charge with either cable though.

Most charging circuits with Li Ion batteries can't be thought of as a resistor load on a fixed circuit. There's a lot of intelligent stuff going on in these battery controllers. The voltage and current are usually not kept constant and are in fact ramped up and down. Usually, the initial charging process starts with the charger set at about double the voltage of the battery and then is slowly reduced. There's some interesting schemes some charging circuits do with current (some will apply triangle waves!). I have no idea what specifically is going on in this one but the current supplied by the charger should be regulated by the battery regulator in the device.