Project CSX – Winners of Phase 1 and onto Phase 2

jyeejyee VP, Product Marketing & StrategySan Francisco, CAPosts: 129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the winners of the Idea Phase of Project CSX!  If you’re not familiar with CSX, it stands for Crowd Source X, where “X” can be any mobile device. After nearly 400 submissions during the Idea Phase, and user voting that narrowed the list to the top 20 for a judging panel of ZTE and tech media, the judges have chosen these three ideas to move onto the Concept Phase:

1. Self-Adhesive Smartphone with Optimized User Interface via Eye Tracking System and Split Screen Technology
  2. Powerglove (Android application control of hands)
  3. VR – Interactive diving mask

Now, the stakes get higher. During the Concept Phase, five winners will receive USD $1,500 and ultimately the final winner will win a trip to the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas and bragging rights as ZTE builds the next great idea for mobile.

Anyone can participate in the next phase. You can help expand one of three ideas above by designing the product, or you may submit a new idea, including its product design, before September ends.

To learn more about Project CSX, use the link below. Let's build something great together!

Visit Project CSX

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,248 mod

Congratulations guys!!! These are some very innovative ideas! I can't wait and see the product concepts and eventually see which one ZTE builds! This is truly an amazing process, you should all be very proud of yourselves! 

• Congratulations to all, some pretty exciting and interesting ideas!

• I am the author of the Ubuntu Touch phone idea proposal. I am grateful to ZTE for this CSX project and the support of this community. I was planning to put more hardware design to the Phase II proposal as people were supporting the idea in various ways, but the CSX project wasn't going as what I understood and unfortunately the Ubuntu Touch phone proposal didn't pass through to the Phase II competition in despite of being with176 net upvotes. Therefore, I am briefly summarizing some hardware design ideas based on my understanding and comments from the community:

1. Make a revolution on the booting/power management hardware configuration. So far, there is no smartphone designed the same as desktop/laptop computers which usually have UEFI or ACPI power/booting management system on BIOS. This is the main reason why desktops/laptops allow users to install multiple OS's, but smartphones usually don't have this capability.

2. Invent new high-speed data transmission interfaces and port standards similar to Apple's lightening port or Intel's Thunderbolt technology. This is the major bottleneck for a phone to be used as a N-in-one device as HP and Surface phones claimed elsewhere. Obviously, Apple, Microsoft and many smartphone designers have awared of the trend of evolving smartphones to be a central device to connect with various modules as desktop/laptop/tablet have been evolving after the convergence idea of Ubuntu. Now it's the time that OS's are waiting for the improvement of hardware and solving the last bottleneck to be ready for the next revolution of smartphones for the idea of Convergence.

3. Fast wireless connections as a must-have and alternative channel of fast data transmission interface to external modules. From my reading, ZTE is also working on the 5th generation of smartphone communication standards. One requirement for the 5G tech is fast wireless networking capacity. I heard this technique and corresponding standards will be tested in China next year, and I think this is a great opportunity for ZTE to apply this prototype tech on a new phone for short-distance data transmission application like connecting a phone to multiple 4K monitors.

I am glad the Ubuntu idea could become a dedicated project for ZTE to commit on as stated by ​​ on the other post earlier. To enable more phones to run Ubuntu Touch is a good thing for the community to develop more APPs, but what really defines the future of an OS is not how many APPs it supports at an early ago but is whether it has a killer feature that defines the future technology and whether there is any hardware to support the killer feature. I think the Convergence idea of Ubuntu is the killer feature in its long vision of design, and all its previous and current work on desktop and IoT supports are making this OS unique and super.  The Ubuntu community are now actually waiting for the next phone that can fully support the killer feature which could require a few tens of Gb/s data rate or higher to be connected with high-resolution multiple monitors, eGPUs and other external modules simultanuously. I hope ZTE is not only willing to put the OS on existing and outdated phones and wait, but is also willing to take the advantage of the OS and to lead the future for the coming phone revolution by taking the hardware challenges!

• I agree with your ideas and look forward to buying a ZTE Ubuntu Edition phone with Convergence feature. The CSX voting panel “determined that Ubuntu could be placed into an existing phone from ZTE, such as the ZTE Axon“, and also "We have listened to this community and it will be considered in a future project.".

Quotes from comment by jyee Z (ZTE, VP, Technology Planning & Partnerships) on 11-Sep-2016 in An Ubuntu Touch phone option or even no OS preinstalled! https://community.zteusa.com/ideas/1869

• Thank ​ for the support.

The point being: ZTE should more focus on what you are good at in technique and develop a long-term strategical path to pursue in parallel with tactic addons. I personally like the idea of engaging with the broad community as have been illustrated in the CSX project, and hope to see ZTE can put more respects to the open-source developers and supporters and get fully benefited from the returns of the open-source community as your followup supports. Given that Google is releasing their own smartphones and competing with other phone companies, who knows if Google will raise the fee or completely ban the use of their Android system. I hope you can understand the real Open-source systems are your indeed and reliable friend to collaborate with, and they are actually doing things ahead for you. I wish one day, ZTE can define and lead the future of IT by fully absorbing the ideas from the non-competing open-source community based on what you are really good at and have been strengthening upon your roadmap to challenge the technique frontiers. Just my little thought.

• Besides Ubuntu's "Convergence" and Microsoft's "Continuum" there is now Intel's "Big Screen Experience". Intel demonstrated at the Mobile World Congress 2016 an Android (Lollipop) smartphone (Atom processor) which runs a Linux (Debian) desktop when plugged into an external display.

Intel Atom X3: 100-Dollar-Smartphone bietet 'Continuum' mit Android & Debian Linux

Intel Showcases Mobile & Desktop “Convergence” with Android and Debian Linux on an Atom x3 Smartphone

Intel shows budget Android phone powering big-screen Linux • The Register