Did somebody say…Bootloader?

12346»

Comments

• ciko84xp@gmail.com[email protected] Rossano (CS) - ItalyPosts: 50

Back to us dear ZTE...

As I said above 10 years ago when i purchased a smartphone, just out of the box, and goodbye factory bootloader, with the consciousness that the warranty was void.

But today.......... the unlockable bootloader is a must to have for me, and apparently for the 99% of this community, and if on the market there are companies that you allow to unlock their devices without void the warranty, you have to keep up!

I appreciate the ability to unlock the bootloader, but for who mod his smartphone is more convenient to chose a company that use your policy or a company that not void the warranty?

The perfect solution is to allow the mod and open your mind to Custom ROM and all possible developments! But if this isn't possible, you can offer an insurance to customers that download the unlocked bootloader, 10 or 20 $ max (not mandatory), and the problem is solved!

You are good ZTE, but your mind is closed..! This is the only reason why the 6/128GB version is not sold in Europe/Rest of the world! I've 2 or 3 ideas for TF display... but for reception problem with Chinese version i think to purchase the 4/64GB version. I am disappointed!

Open your mind ZTE.. open it, and the world is yours!

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

And this community is for the US model, ZTEUSA, which runs this forum, has no control over the EU model. It's like asking the police in the US to do something about a problem in the UK. Even if they wanted to, they can't do anything about it since they can't interfere with the other branches of ZTE.

I'm sorry but if you have the EU model, you're out of luck concerning the unlocked bootloader unless ZTE in the EU decides to do something about it which I doubt they will.

• sboothsbooth San Diego, CAPosts: 125

Actually, with ZTE being a global company, they can at least forward communications to other regional departments. ZTE USA is not that closed minded to not communicate with their head office in China and/or associate offices anywhere else. With that said, I would not expect the US team to inject themselves in to anything as touchy as this subject on behalf of any other arm of the greater ZTE organization. Although they may be "reading the mail" quietly, it will be up to the respective representative(s) to reach out to the customers in their specific region regarding any specific query/topic.

Scott-

• Uh, sir, no need for these insults. Just because I have a different opinion

on the matter doesn't warrant a [email protected] response from you. Check your

phone thoroughly like a smart human being before you go fiddling with it.

That's what I plan to do. Manufacturing defects show up pretty soon

usually, like a jacked up button or defective digitizer.

I've always bought off contract with no warranties, so it's all the same to

me. If you insist on the warranty that bad, then fine. But we have choices

in life that we must make. Choose your warranty, the freedom of ROMs, or a

different phone.

I personally will choose the ROMs once I'm sure there aren't any glaring

defects with my phone.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they actually do communicate alot with their other offices. When the question of Passport 2.0 in Canada was brought, they quickly communicated with their Canadian counterparts. That being said, you can't expect them to meddle with the affairs and decisions of other ZTE branches. Asking for information is one thing, meddling with activities in other branches is another.

That is why people cannot ask ZTE USA to bring the unlocked bootloader to other regions such as EU because there's no reason for them to bring up that topic with other branches (they need to focus on the US) and it isn't their responsibility either. You guys saw how much time it took to approve an unlocked bootloader, the other ZTE branches need to take the initiative themselves to bring the unlocked bootloader.

WTF???

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,959 admin

I'll repeat it again here as well

I have temporarily stopped the form from accepting new requests for good reason.

1.) The process for unlocking the bootloader will be changing if all goes well with testing. (This includes stock image)

2.) There is a software update coming next week - Since stock images have not yet been released, instead of adding more customers to the mix of those who will not be able to update, I've decided to not let this happen.

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the sensible solution -- the separate software load for unlocking was only going to be nightmare for ZTE and customers going forward as more updates are provided. If anything, ZTE USA should be working with ZTE China and ZTE Int'l to have a unified software between the regions. The HW is almost identical (if not identical, except for the modem), so there is no reason to have a base software load not be the same with all these different version numbers, and then just add the necessarily differences per region as needed.

• jim404seajim404sea Guangzhou ChinaPosts: 27

once again, I'm really impressed with ZTE, or at least the way the US branch management works. I live in China, and it's been a horrible experience trying to find a way to get this phone - my choices seem to be 1) buy it from somewhere in the US and deal with the shipping costs/rules/customs risks in getting it sent here (ebay dealers wont or arent allowed to ship to China at all, far as I can tell), 2) buy it in the Chinese version (ie, no PlayStore, etc) online at a Chinese website, or 3) spend the money and time to take a trip to Hong Kong and buy it there. Trying to communicate with ZTE anywhere else besides here is such a waste of time that other phones were starting to look more like a better choice - but this pro-active decision to protect customers from a problem that other companies would have just let be tomorrow's problem, that's some good stuff that gives me faith I'll be in good hands. Almost worth taking a 14 hour flight to the US to buy it there and another 14 hours back, just to be able to have US support

@sshasan I understand perfectly well how hard it can be to communicate with the Chinese branch of the company, but please, do watch for opportunities to get them to imagine how it would serve the company if the rest of the world, besides the US, had a clear and responsive way to talk to them. If they truly want to be a global company, this is an essential part of the way to get there.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

​  Your my Hero!!!  

• can you please share approximately time of bootloader unlock process start?

• I'm having the same problem across multiple browsers

• fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,244 mod

Hey Guys!!!  ZTE always has things going on behind the scenes and you never know what ZTE will have in store for us next.  Do you want to become a part of the action???

If the answer is YES, Head on over to the Beta Lab and fill out a brief survey for a chance to become a Beta tester!! The new Beta Project is code named "Mercury" and should be out of this world!!! 

"We are currently recruiting for ZTE Smartphone Beta Project "Mercury".  There are a limited number of spots to fill so please answer the questions honestly.  The Qualification Survey is located here: Beta Application Survey "

• s8ntshaz3s8ntshaz3 Rapid City,SDPosts: 1

Spoke with live chat this evening and they said the BL unlock was still available???

• jtma11024jtma11024 Bluffton, SCPosts: 91 ✭✭

Any insight as to when this is going to start up again?

• vldvld Denver, COPosts: 25

I would love a bootloader!

• vldvld Denver, COPosts: 25

But I see right here what worried me. That is that the unlocking it would violate the warranty. I thought that was the case.

• jtma11024jtma11024 Bluffton, SCPosts: 91 ✭✭

Yep, it says that in the original post.

• efranktankefranktank United StatesPosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭

I would still be nice to get some type of update on this, if it is still being worked on or if they are not going to offer it at all.