Weekly Roundup [February 24, 2017]

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to our weekly roundup on Z-Community! Here are this week's highlights:

Hot Topics

Preview of Coming Week(s)

It's been a rough couple of weeks of gathering, prioritizing, and deep-diving into Nougat issues. Though we have been quieter than usual on the forums, there's been more internal activity than ever before. Long story short, your Mod Squad has been fighting tooth and nail for our community - for a better software experience, a better hardware experience, and a better customer experience. To say we're exhausted is an understatement, but we also know that many of you are equally exhausted. And that is precisely what drives us to continue pushing for product improvements that our community deserves.

In the coming weeks, there will be answers to some of the hot topic items that have been raised. In addition to short-term tweaks, our R&D team is working on mid and long-term updates that we're even more excited about. We look forward to sharing these updates with you.

Comments

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the update ​, always appreciated!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks ​!

• wizzuhwizzuh 48223Posts: 170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details are scarce here. I don't know wether to buy into what's being said, or get away from ZTE as fast as I can.

Asking for clarification on what issues the dev team is taking a look at would be too much?

The issues with the axon 7 are repeatable and very well documented here on the forum. I don't know if I should be insulted by the lack of depth given in the post by , or hopeful that it's even being acknowledged that software issues exist.

Whatever the case, the phones been out for 8 months or so and is still having issues? That sure doesn't strike confidence in me to purchase another ZTE product or recommend them to my friends.

I think the term "coming weeks" was dropped when we were about 2 weeks out from Android 7, hopefully something gives with this device in a similar or shorter amount of time. And hopefully whatever is done actually fixes problems.

please have someone look into the poor reception with the axon 7, Android pay functionality, and TMO wifi calling.

Poor reception being the most pressing issue.

Android pay functionality being another pressing matter.

Thank you for even taking time to post, but please help us who are suffering with these phones.

• petershihpetershih ZTE Fanatic United StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I understand where you're coming from and could see myself running away as fast as possible if the tables were turned. Our intention is not to dumb down user experience issues or promise that everything reported will be addressed. Rather, we are balancing realism and optimism, after having just wrapping up numerous internal meetings, fighting for what's right.

Whether it's a blessing or a curse, the majority of your community staff were former ZTE customers prior to joining. Therefore, we share a common mission of delivering the best product and customer experience for all. It's a neverending battle that we do not intend to give up on, and as previously shared we are currently very optimistic due to recent breakthroughs. There aren't many details we can share until each software update, hence the ambiguities that some may hate - myself included. But let's end on a good note: wi-fi calling is in beta testing as we speak, though our beta dream team can neither confirm nor deny because of the NDA we're bound to.

I appreciate you responding and communicating what you can.

Thank you.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

As always thank you, we all know you guys are doing all you can do behind the scenes. Thanks for updates and providing as much info as possible without getting fired lol

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would benefit ZTE greatly and restore some lost customer confidence if they would do one or more of the following:

-Be more transparent about their software updates progress.  Let's be real ZTE, you're not developing top secret government software. The NDA policy is absolutely ridiculous and unneeded. Samsung, among other companies, have successfully held an open beta for their Nougat update. If you won't do that, at least share some details about what the update will include. People have been wanting WiFi calling for the longest, and just an update on its status would put minds at ease.

-Open beta.  As I posted above, other OEMs have ran successful open betas just fine, and ZTE would have many more people on board that will gladly participate.  I'm sure ZTE knows by now that the Axon 7 has untapped potential and is pretty much a developer's dream device.  They could take advantage of that and go all in with developing for it and releasing a near stock experience of Android with Open betas of their own IMPROVING MiFavor software.

-Unlocked bootloaders.  This needs to be done.  No idea why it was removed and has yet to make a return, but as stated above, the Axon 7 is, in my opinion, the best device of 2016 and could take 2017 as the best all around device cost and development wise.

-Have a separate team for the community.  It would be fantastic if there were a second team devoted to giving the community either a stock Android experience, or actually listening to the community's wants for MiFavor. Either way, it's a win-win situation.  This phone hasn't really gotten the market share it deserves because word of mouth is almost non-existent. ZTE needs to think about things from a consumer standpoint, not a business standpoint. They could have made so much more profit by marketing this phone differently.

, thoughts?

Good post

Especially the part about including what will be included in the upcoming software releases. The only reasons one could think of for zte's reluctance to do so would be either the inability of zte's coding team to provide features that are standard in android, or they're holding on to their 12gb of unnecessary UI for some other nefarious reason. Maybe it's strictly ego. Who knows..

Maybe all the hardware in the phone short of the antennas or their placement is top notch and letting the phone loose to the dev community will expose the fact that the phone isn't really good as a phone.

Once again, strictly conjecture. But with zte's top secret attitude for a cellular phone can leave a ton of room for folks who paid their hard earned money for the a7 to come up with all types of ideas.

Let alone the fact that they have had top secret, secret squirrel beta programs for Android 7, and look how well (not) that turned out. ZTE needs a larger pool of testers or at least a more diverse one, picking beta testers based on forum profiles will result in.. the results they got.

I know they hired a marketing firm recently to take the temperature of some of us who are active on the forum, they obviously care about their public perception. The most bang for buck thing they can do at this point is emulate the successful smaller OEMs (OnePlus, Alcatel) and divorce their idea of differentiating themselves with mifavor.

Just provide a well working, reasonably priced product, save the software budget and get some advertisement. Viola..

It'll even save the company some market research cash.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the round-up as usual!

• stanthemanstantheman Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not picking on you but I see this all the time. It is spelled VOILA.....a Viola is https://www.google.com/search?q=viola&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=935&tbm=isch&imgil=l1K3xcvLaQGDXM%253A%253B32NwfZzkDkE8uM%253B…

Thank you. Duly noted

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the Roundup Peter