Daydream VR

jyeejyee VP, Product Marketing & StrategySan Francisco, CAPosts: 129 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Daydream is now available on Axon 7 in the US.  For those that are not familiar with Daydream, it's a fun and exciting virtual reality (VR) experience that you can take with you anywhere your Axon goes.  When combined with the portable Daydream headset and controller, Axon takes you to a new three-dimensional world of videos, photos, games and apps.  Even if you have used Daydream before, you'll be amazed at the immersive audio experience as Axon's stereo, front-facing speakers are perfectly positioned in the headset. 

How do you get the Daydream software on Axon?

Daydream is now available in the latest system update for Axon as a part of the upgrade to Android Nougat.  Go to Settings and then System Update and update to the latest build (currently A2017UV1.1.0B15).

How do you get the Daydream headset and controller?

If you have an Axon phone and need the Daydream hardware (headset and controller), you can purchase one online at Daydream View - Google VR headset - Google Store

What are your favorite Daydream apps?

After you've played around with Daydream, we would love to hear your experience.  What are your favorite apps?  There's a lot of great stuff out there, but I'll get this started by telling you my top 3 so far:

1. Photos - Although it seems simple, using the Cardboard camera to capture 360/VR photos is a lot of fun and a great way to remember the full experience of something you did before -with sound included!
  2. YouTube VR - There's a lot of content already on YouTube that supports 360.  My favorites are the amazing VR surfing videos that bring me back to my childhood.  If I can't get back to clear blue, warm waters every day, at least I have Daydream to make me feel like I'm there.
  3. Twighlight Pioneers - I'm listing one of the games that I've played simply because this game gives you an appreciation for what is to come in a new generation of apps that utilize new hardware.  Walking around in a fantasy world, using the Daydream controller to grab things, or chop things with my sword, is really cool.  Can't wait to see what's next for games!

Tell us your experience!  We'd love to hear it.

Daydream.png

To learn more about Daydream, visit Daydream

Comments

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great write-up as always!!!

• maineferraromaineferraro MainePosts: 240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info , I have been playing with it for about an hour now , and its really cool how it walked you thru how to use everything first , now on to trying new games , I have a wing suit game im looking to play , Thanks again

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Poly Runner VR is one of my favorite, basic VR games.  Can use the controller or your head to navigate.  Also a vote for Twilight Pioneers.  Thanks for the update ​!

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

Sounds awesome!  I can't wait to try them.   Thanks for the post

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great write up

• kumatora0203kumatora0203 Danvers, MAPosts: 262 ✭✭

Once I have the chance I will test it out, been looking forward to it

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

Thanks for the write up! I just got the headset, and as excited as I was to check this out, I've been to busy. Lol my headset sits on top of the box, upon my coffee table, lonely. Sadly I think this is where many of them will end up after the initial excitement wears off, and other companies come out with better designed sets. I am not a fan of a fabric based set up, people sweat, wear make-up, kids are messy ( I don't care how careful n clean you keep your kids, accidents happen lol) it just seems like a guaranteed fail to me.... I will say it is attractive

• How about Twilight Pioneers which is free now, though it is only a lite mode, the first person view is really awesome.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try to take my Daydream View for a spin tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

Twilight Pioneers is a nice game...

• Did the A7 power button issue get resolved? Earlier it was noted the button interferes with Google Daydream headset strap. Did they fix this somehow?

​, when in daydream mode, the A7 will disable the power button.  Therefore if the strap hits it nothing will happen.  I continue to use a sharpie to stretch the strap over the power button as I don't want it pressed for ling periods of time. 

I seen you say that and got a mini sharpie and it works great , and its small enough , you dont even know its there !!!!

People use all kinds of stuff...pvc pipe, batteries, etc. 

• Thanks for recommending Twilight Pioneers, heaps of activity from solving puzzles, wielding weapons, slaying big bosses. The graphics and storytelling kept me fully immersed and end up playing a couple of times. Thumbsup

• Have two headsets and do see the power button issue and that its disabled. I dont like the fact its held down so long and will try your Sharpie solution. Thanks for noting it.

No problem ​. Happy VRing!

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm really enjoying Netflix VR. It is almost like sitting in a movie theater.

• Overall I think the Day Dream View Headset (DV) is decent at $49 bucks its worth it. Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Even though NFC is on, the A7 does not auto detech when the DV is near and auto switches to VR mode. Instead I have to manually open the app on the A7 and then it prompts me to place the phone in DV. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if this is how it should work?

2. The power button being held down by the bunji type cord/clip drvies me nuts. I know while in VR mode the button is rendered unusable but it still get held down. So I copied others and added a piece of small cylinder shaped wood to avoid the button getting held down.

3. The phone gets hot fast. Not as hot as other phones apparently but hot enough for a warning by the phone that the battery is over heating. This I do not like at all. Seems like you end up pushing the phone hard just to tinker with VR.

I do the same thing , i have to load the game then put it in the head set , as far as the power button , i used Hollaps fix , i put a small sharpie under the bunji and dont have any problems with that anymore , i dont play a lot of games , but the ones i have played , dont heat my phone up at all ,  hope this helps ya a lil

• xxsyrupxxsyrup guangzhouPosts: 3

I tried for twilight pioneers, it is so interesting, thanks for your recommendation.

• it is very good! My first experience was with the game Farmer vs Evil and it's quite impressive! I'm glad I can use Daydream! It's fantastic!