Necessary to format MicroSD card?

My brand new (as of yesterday) Blade Max has corrupted 2 128gb MicroSD cards in 2 days after being prompted to format them after insertion. Both new cards. Is this a known issue? Is it necessary to format the cards in order to use them as expandable storage? I'm not keen on wasting money on burnt cards due to a faulty format process. TIA!!

Best Answer

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,958 admin
    Accepted Answer

@Twitchie9 The Blade X Max does indeed support Micro SD cards up to 128GB. When formatting the Micro SD card it is best to do this on a PC in exFAT format.

Could you let us know the manufacturer and model of the Micro SD cards you are using?

Answers

• Twitchie9Twitchie9 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

Both cards were ADATA cards. I ordered a Samsung card off eBay yesterday. I'm really not wanting to fry a 3rd card. :(

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,958 admin

@Twitchie9 said:
    Both cards were ADATA cards. I ordered a Samsung card off eBay yesterday. I'm really not wanting to fry a 3rd card. :(

Have you tried to format either of the ADATA cards on a PC?

No, I haven't. They're at home so I'll have to try this weekend. Since they were corrupted I didn't even think to try to format them on my laptop. I'll have to try that.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,958 admin

@Twitchie9 have you had any luck since we last spoke?

@sshasan said:
    @Twitchie9 have you had any luck since we last spoke?

Yes and no. I got the new Samsung card and formatted it on my laptop to exFat. The phone still wanted to format it, which I did not since it already burned 2 cards. However, I'm able to load songs and data to the card on the phone so it's working. :)

• The only brand of SDcard that will work at 128gb is SanDisk. I did various test on different brands and Sandisk works flawlessly. But you're welcome to try Samsung cards but trust me you will not have any luck. Too long to explain here why you won't .