Blade x showing unread text messages even when I delete all threads

Alright. I've been a Cricket subscriber for almost 15 years. Never had anything like this. It currently shows 5 unread messages over my text message icon. However, none within the app show messages to read. I've tried going to settings to see if there were archived messages. Nothing. I deleted all the threads. Still shows 5. I did have an MMS issue(twice now withing the first week of buying this phone) but after calling cricket customer support, the messaging issue seems to be resolved(I was not receive all of my messages in group text and even an SMS message was not received that I had sent.). This is the 5th day I'm dealing with this. I only have seven days to return it and I'd really like to not because it seems great!! Please help. I'll try anything. First time here on these threads so not sure if ill be notified when there's a response but I will check back often. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,816 admin

@MikeMoSTL this can usually be fixed by clearing the storage cache on the device.

• MikeMoSTLMikeMoSTL Posts: 4 ✭✭✭

Permanently fixed? It's strange for the error to occur in the first place. Will it continue?

Permanently... I can't guarantee but it is a start.

No luck with that. Thanks for trying! Any other ideas?

Do you happen to have multiple messaging apps on the device doing the same thing?

@MikeMoSTL Have you had any luck since we last spoke?

No luck. I've had escalated cases with cricket twice now and nothing. I've spoke with them 10 times, hung up on twice, I'm now on my 3rd escalation. Ive changed the APN settings. I've reset them to default. I've made a mirror of them It's terrible. Cricket customer service is by far the worst customer service department I've ever spoke with in my life. They will not refund the phone. They will not bill credit for the phone. He offered me 10 dollars even though I haven't been getting the service I've paid for for almost two months now. It's unbelievable. I've ordered a new phone. I don't suspect any issues because it's an HTC. Hate to be losing some features like the fingerprint, but I need to get all my calls and text more than I need my device to recognize my finger. As far as I'm concerned, I will not own another ZTE. If you think that's crickets fault, take it up with them. If it is crickets fault, well, I'm going elsewhere anyway. I'm not going to support a company who thinks after ive spoke with ten people that I'm "not getting ANY messages" when in fact, I'm just not getting ALL of my messages. If you guys would like to try, please send me a new phone, I like it. This one surely doesn't work though. Thanks for your efforts. And I appreciate your time, especially if you read all of this.

• Dgk196Dgk196 CaliforniaPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go through all the threads click on one open it scroll to the top then back to the bottom of all text threes that's how I been clearing my unread messages

• w1ck3dw3bcr4wl3rw1ck3dw3bcr4wl3r Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 1:17PM

MikeMoSTL -
    Have you have downloaded any Maleware, ad blocker, or cleaner APPs? If so that could be the issue. Even those these are Google play apps many have features that like to control your incomming calls and Text messaging. They change SMS to MMS etc.
    I would delete all recently downloaded APPS, clean out the FILE MANAGER on your ZTE. Check all permission you have allowed/factory set. Change to your liking. If this does not work, Ordering a NEW SIMsd card from cricket will correct the issue. The phone is not malfunctioning, the SIMsd is.
    Good Luck!

• ciryaschlimanciryaschliman monroe, MNPosts: 1 ✭✭

Hello. I was having the same issue as you. I googled "unread msg problem for the Blade ZTE. Somebody suggesting downloading the message + 7 app, and getting rid of the cricket messaging that came with the phone. IT WORKED! All of my unread messages showed up on my group text that didn't download correctly.

Sorry I wasn't able to help you before you bought another phone!

• twistedme75twistedme75 AmericaPosts: 1 ✭✭

I just bought the blade max it was having the same issue so was the three friends phones . We all checked archived message and there was one in there. Cleared it problem solved. If your having problems check the forums the answers are here.

• XyMo71XyMo71 NCPosts: 1 ✭✭

I know I'm super late to this thread, but I am at the end of my rope...
    I "LOVE" my zte blade max...
    But after having for 3 months I'm having now 2 unread messages (was 1, SMH)...
    I have went into archived messages, I've erased messages...
    If anyone has any suggestions they would greatly appreciated...

@XyMo71 have you have any luck with the suggestion that @jimlloyd40 posted?

• LiloLilo United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    edited March 11, 2018 11:55AM

I'm on my second ZTE X BLADE MAX AND I M HAVING THE SAME issue RIGHT OUT OF the BOX. FIRST PHONE EXCHANGED UNDER WARRANTY. I have done the above except the cache, which I won't because the first thing I did once this arrived and turned on was send a text and request a picture. I didn't receive the picture. I installed textra today, and still can't receive a photo. So it's not the sim, it's not the cache, it doesn't need factory reset. I'm at a loss. I'm also NOT receiving SMS from everyone also. Cricket customer service are full of disrespectful dumbasses. When I ported over to cricket to a new phone but same phone number, I received over 300 calls for someone else in 2 months. Along with constant spam text messages. I'm self employed and this phone is hurting my business and cricket won't help resolve the issue. One agent told me when she called me back, the call went to a business which isn't mine. She tried again and got a message this number was no longer in service. I don't know if she is full of bull **** or just dumb. I'm at a loss. I need a working phone. They won't help me.

• Me2Me2 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

I just purchased this phone ZTE Blade X Max...and the same thing happened. I only had a few text saved so it was no issue experimenting. The cache clearing crap didnt work. Of course I scrolled through looking for unread text...thats what we would normally do seeing the symbol for unread text...but nothing. So I went into settings and clicked messages...storage...clear data. It advised me I would lose all data. So I did it and it cleared everything out. Once I realoaded the messaging app the unread text popped right back up...except this time...so did the unread text that must've been somewhere in limboland waiting to populate in messaging but never did...only to somehow still register as unread. Once I deleted those, I was back to a clean slate. Will it happen again? Hope not is all I can say but hopefully you can now rid yourself of the torment on the "HOW" of removing them.

• louonlakelouonlake United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

I was having the same problem. Just now, after reading these comments, I cleared the cache, checked archived texts and deleted some unopened and didn’t work. I then went to a message that had several recipients (mms wasn’t working previously) that was in my archived, read the full message and the counter finally went to none. The message was in archived so I wasn’t getting the messages and they were unread!!, Hope this helps everyone.

• ottob692ottob692 United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭
    Yes people you can even be archived to the sim card not to be confused with SD card . And you can lock it on your sim card . For all the point and clickers that don't really know what and how to use cell phones.  You can choose slot of ways to save or lock a text be it SMS or MMS   . So also if your sent group texts from iphone  user as some carriers with Android services you can only get 10 in a group message  but iPhone like capable of 100 group  . And will mess  with Android and its service  from carrier as well . FYI  all