Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Most important feature of a smartphone

axonroseaxonrose AustraliaPosts: 6 ✭✭
<body><p>What do you look for most when you buy a smartphone? Do you prefer an amazing camera or great audio?? Do you go for looks or performance?? Would love to know <span __jive_emoticon_name="happy" __jive_macro_name="emoticon" class="jive_emote jive_macro" data-renderedposition="100_252.1875_16_16" src="/2016.1.0.1f7ee12/images/emoticons/happy.png"></span></p></body>

Most important feature of a smartphone 220 votes

Design
9% 21 votes
Performance
61% 135 votes
Display
10% 23 votes
Camera
10% 24 votes
Audio
7% 17 votes

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

From the list you gave, definitely the software!
    If the phone does not work well, then the whole thing is a bust.

• axonroseaxonrose AustraliaPosts: 6 ✭✭

Ahaha true that, I meant more to do with the Os and specs!

• valtraca82valtraca82 PortugalPosts: 33

All the above

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish i could choose 3.

As long as audio, screen, and the camera are in order I actually don't care that much about performance. ROM's and removing animations can make even a decent phone seem snappy, but cant change the thre things I care about most.

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

Since "performance" is a pretty broad spectrum, I'd definitely say PERFORMANCE! Camera performance, audio performance, display performance, OS performance, call performance...
    Design being the eye-catcher is less important to me, but who doesn't love an elegantly designed device?

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

You are totally right.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

I would say battery, as smartphones are good,they only lack the good battery

• sigmarsigmar CT, USAPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted camera. I think "performance" is very important too, but the term is very broad and not specific (speed to start apps? or performing in terms of available features and ease of use?)

• david11sdavid11s North CarolinaPosts: 4

performance. hands down.

• Photos

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

I believe it is readily apparent viewing the title of the subject.  Smartphone.  Mobile voice communication.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would say performance, but form the list, any of the other features can be a deal breaker.

e.g., it can have the best performance, but if it has one of those bottom end 300:1 contrast ratio TN panel with really narrow viewing angles, then the phone will provide a horrible user experience. A low end TV panel on a phone, has no sweet spot, looking at it straight on, will cause you to see a color shift from the top to the bottom of the screen. I have seen some super low end smartphones do this many years ago.

If the performance related hardware is bad, then it is a deal breaker for everything else. e.g., a smartphone with a dual core SOC, and 512MB of RAM, (128MB of which is reserved for other hardware), those devices encounter memory issues from just having 2 tabs opened in chrome.

The least important to me, would be the design.

• audio

• It all starts with performance. A phone has to be dependable.

• dellasterdellaster Pahrump, Nevada, USAPosts: 103

Pick any choice and you will be 100% correct as far as I'm concerned. So I semi-randomly picked display, 'cause if it's bad there's no way to lessen the impact.

• malitkie@gmail.com[email protected] Hastings, MNPosts: 7

Honestly, If I could pick every single one minus Design I would as they are all fairly important to me.  I really don't care what the phone Looks like per say, as long as the camera, display, performance and audio are up to par, although audio depending on what you mean by audio could be overlooked, such as if your talking about playing music out of the phones speakers, now if your talking about call quality audio that one is tricky because the audio could be fantastic on the phone but if your in a horrible area for you cellphone carrier the audio, even though it is great, it could easily degrade.  Any one of those depending on how badly implemented they are could be a deal breaker.  I mean typically when your looking for a top of the line SmartPhone you typically look at the parts as a whole, not individually.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I choose design. Not entirely sure that;s the right choice for me, but you made it tough.

I just don't see myself buying a phone that's not aesthetically pleasing to me. 

• johnf440johnf440 St. Louis, MOPosts: 18

Screen. I've had great perfroming phones with lackluster screens and that fact ruined the experience.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

It's hard to vote for one specific area of a phone. There are so many aspects in choosing one device to use as your daily phone.

• Camera
    • Screen
    • Build Quality
    • Audio
    • Software Updates

All of these factors are so important when choosing a device. Me personally can't vote in one area. If all of the listened factors above reach my expectations I would consider that phone.

#ZTEAxon7 #A-phone-made-entirely-with-you-in-mind!

A flagship should definitely have all the qualities listed above. Even mid-range phones have at least two or three top-tier features, these days. It seems the A7 rolls every listed feature into on gorgeous phone.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it is a bundle deal for me. I have specific expectations of quality and if all of the things that you mentioned meet that standard, anything else is a plus and I am happy.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod

Display is a concern for me, and then performance. If it is to small, I don't care how great it performs.

Remember my "first" tablet? It was like 3". You told me to buy that thing too, shame shame

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United States Posts: 4,611 mod

LOL the archos? It was Android, and not a stupid ipod.

All you could do on that thing was pictures and music, I swear! What was 13 year old me thinking

Oh gosh, that was only 5 years ago.. you've created a monster in such a short time. Everyone steer clear of

That's what good mothers do - they point you in the right direction. ​ isn't one of those hateful mothers who give their children iPods. Kudos to good mothers everywhere!

She has always refused to buy apple products! Buy it yourself or have an android.. LOL I guess she has been right all along

LOL! I don't blame her! My daughter bought  an iPhone and I almost had to disown her. Thankfully, it broke and she exchanged it for an Android phone. Kids!

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Audio and camera (and with customizable software as a given).