Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Is a lack of Micro SD expandability a deal breaker for you?

Comments

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now their lowest is 16gb, but they may be going up. If they go up much further they may start losing business because they charge a lot more more that space and many of the users who use iPhone etc do not need the full 32. I on the other hand, can take all the space i can get and can't wait for the axon 7.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You're not going to know how to act with 64GB on board and micro sd expandability.

• micahdubosemicahdubose Rock Hill SCPosts: 133

I've gone through that before! That's a true struggle. That's partly why I formatted my SD Card and put on there what I truly need and I went from 64GB/119GB used to about 12GB/119GB used. About 30 - 40 GB was as a result of FLAC files being extinguished. But that made me feel a lot better. I also lost about 50 songs, but I had 1921 on there, now down to 1862. I may not noticed the difference! Hahah

I also use Google Photos to store my photos/videos now. I move certain photos/videos to my SD Card to they stay on my phone whenever I clean out pics/photos with the duplicate option within Photos. So this really helps me maintain my music and photos/videos. Increases productivity. I have a live wallpaper changer app that needs to access certain photos for its cycle through as well as my lock screen to do similar and those photos are the ones locked away on my SD Card because Google Photos only deletes from internal storage. Consider it a fail safe!

• romeoromeo Irvine CAPosts: 59 ✭✭✭✭

I think having an expandable storage might be essential for advanced users, for me is important to have it since I always root my phones and I like to have my backups on the external storage. Always nothing can't be guaranteed when you experimental with your phone  .

I agree, same here.. I keep at least one nandroid backup on internal, and at least one on micro sd.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

Same here.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

Since having a MicroSD card.. I would never return to another device that didn't have one. 

• ericwithcheeseericwithcheese Seattle, WAPosts: 43

An SD card slot is a must for me.  I love the piece of mind of storing my media content on it so (a) I won't have to redownload everything or depend on the cloud if my device dies and (b) I can easily swap it out and put into a new phone. 

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Exactly!

Exactly!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly!

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

exactly, lol exactly what...

I have 4  small 32gb sd cards I swap between devices, depending on what I'm needing. I don't prefer to have everything on a larger one

What ​ said...

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me, as long as it has 32gb or more for internal storage, I am fine. I personally don't store a lot of music on my phone... and rarely record 4K video. Only take pictures and have some apps that I always use. Even though my previous Android phones have MicroSD card slot, I rarely store anything on the card...

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully we can get good pricing on the 256GB (hopefully in the $50 range when competition begins to happen in this area) micro SD cards Samsung Electronics Introduces the EVO Plus 256GB MicroSD Card, with the Highest Capacity in its Class – Samsung Newsroo…

While smaller ones means less eggs in one basket, a large one means that you could non-stop record a long event in 4K. With ample storage, there is pretty much no reason to ever record at anything below 4K, when 4K is available.

Whatever works best for ya.

Yeah, I saw when they announced that one. I'd love to have it, but i'm not paying the astronomical price they want for it at launch.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that copious amounts of alcohol was in the process of being consumed while they were coming up with the pricing on that card.

There's a sucker out there for every product, even ones that are crazily priced... Not this guy though.

I fully agree about having the storage available to record in 4k. If prices drop, I'd definitely consider 256GB.  I have gotten so use to changing between my cards, I wouldn't know what to do

1lolharddrive.jpg

We've come a long ways!

lol I remember saving my money in high school to buy my first PC that came with a whopping 1Gb hard drive!  .... it was it 500 MB.... either way it's funny and my computer teacher was so amazed at technology at the time trying to explain to the class how much data can be stored on 1gb and that it will be the standard ....look how far we've come :)

I remember, trying to save files to those little 1.44mb  disks.  

I still a bunch of mine from school...should probably toss them out already  lol.  The good old days!! Well they were...just not as far as computers went :)

I love seeing the older computers, and how far we have come. I remember when the girls were little, ​ especially, I'd refurbish computers that were tossed aside, usually because people bought new ones, rather than just upgrade. Both my girls knew more about the insides of computers by the age of 5 than they did about using them. My dad would laugh, cause Kenni would come visit him talking about motherboards, and power supplies.

lol great lessons to learn I. sure. The first thing I tinkered with was my original Nintendo that wouldn't turn on. I took it apart for the first time, figured out that the power supply was loose and I was amazed that I was able to fix it.  Around the same time my Dad was rais in the roof of my house and jacking up the walls with these farmers jacks. He added 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, and a balcony to that house all by himself. Old school Polish mentality and won't pay anyone to do something that he knew he could figure out on his own. I'm not exactly like him but do get a lot of my "Jack of all trade" mentality from him. I remember picking up an old computer or two from the curb when was younger....scavenged it for ram and parts

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not a deal breaker with 64gb or more storage.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Oh my goodness, that is quite brilliant

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

While it isn't a deal breaker for me, I believe every device should have a MicroSD card. Having plenty of internal storage is not a decent excuse for not having a MicroSD card slot. Think about it this way, would anyone be happy if their computer didn't have USB or an equivalent to it? USB drives are crucial for people wanting eternal storage on their computer. So is having a MicroSD card slot on a smartphone. Now for me, I haven't used it yet, so I'm content transferring files between my smartphone and my computer. However, that doesn't mean everyone would be content with that. People ought to have the choice. A MicroSD card has value to it for many people and it doesn't interfere with having other important features to the device, such as waterproofing, etc., so leave it there!

This discussion has been closed.