Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Most important feature of a smartphone

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

personally, I feel that battery life and screen are 2 most important factor for me. Then the design and performance of the unit.

• flybriflybri LAPosts: 219 ✭✭

A lot of those things listed are important, but ultimately, if the display sucks, I'm out.  As an example, I bought an Nvidia Shield tablet, and as soon as I turned it on and saw how horrible the screen was, right back in the box it went for a return.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Performance is number one for me.

• npaladin2000npaladin2000 Wappingers Falls, NYPosts: 376

Display display display. These things are essentially hand-held computers, with both input and output handled by....wait for it...the display. Close second for me would be audio.

• Pretty much all of the above, except for camera. Camera has never been a big decision maker for me when looking at phones. So long as it's decent, I'm fine with it. I don't use my phone for taking pictures/videos often. I have a digital camera for that.

Battery is another big one. Also being stock/near stock android is pretty important too.

• ptmc518ptmc518 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 4

I like a phone with not a lot of bloatware.  The design isn't super important as candybar is pretty much the standard for smartphones now.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Really, they are all important. I would say Performance would be my #1. If the software isn't working properly all sorts of things can happen to make the device do crazy things and ruin the user experience.

• doneonlydoneonly VirginiaPosts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

Performance can be the reason why the majority of things listed in the poll either be great or be horrible.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, maybe with some of the signal/reception issues the Axon 7 is having, maybe it's good to remember that the first feature should be...that it's a phone.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily true for me.  The first thing for me is that it's a messenger.  I barely make calls anymore, I almost exclusively text message. And that of course is more forgiving with signal than a call is.

You know you are right. I make fewer calls than I use to also.

LOL,

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod

I message, as much as call. I make a ton of quickie 1-2 minute calls though out the day. So it is a tie between those for me.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod

....they have physiatrist's for that... 

• Good call quality

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to assume that this question means most important SECONDARY feature, since the most important primary feature should be: functionality as an actual PHONE

I vote audio since the most common activity I use my phone for other than communicating is listening to music.  I am a hardcore PC gamer, so generally don't use my phone for games.  I can see most other people probably voting for camera though.

The subject of display for smart phones is fairly goofy these days. 1080p on a phone is all you need , since pixel density is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy denser than on a TV or a computer monitor due to the small size of the screen.  Anything denser than 1080p is more so an exercise in draining the battery which is much more important than cramming even more pixel density into a device like this.

• fumelanouettefumelanouette Montreal, Qc, CanadaPosts: 0

Performance for me is  the most important feature that divided in two major point: software and hardware. If the phone is buggy, laggy, full of bloatware and slow, a good camera, look, audio performance or a nice display not gonna be enough for me to make me buy the phone. I can understand that a new product will need adjustment because nothing is perfect, but the basic have to be good so that we can build on it. And i tink ZTE is on the way accomplished that with the axon 7. And sorry if i make spelling error but english is not my native language. 

Agreed

• I admit I voted DISPLAY but it's due to my experience with the Moto X Pure Edition, which excelled at DISPLAY as well as sound, but I realize you are correct: If the software is a problem, the phone isn't worth as much. I think the Moto software is on the better side with software, so indeed I enjoyed the quad HD LCD panel b/c of it. Thanks for your input!

• vette95vette95 Vancouver, WAPosts: 70

Well, I chose performance because that is the most important thing, IMO, however, design is almost as important.

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i chose performance because what good is a great display, audio, camera and design if you cant run any of the apps to utilize these thing because the performance of the device maxes out cant multi-task the low processor struggling to push those pixels, slow camera shutter miss a pic because of the lag .

• Personally:

1. Performance

2. Display

3. Design

4. Audio

5. Camera

The phone needs to perform extremely well under normal circumstances and adequately after its lost support and needs to be modded by the user. The screen needs to be great in spec so it can be as future proof as possible. The design needs to be rather unique so it stands out and have a "killer" feature. The audio is good to have because of playing back all the media one produces or consumes. I'm not a big camera guy but it needs to be average for everyday use.

Most consumers:

1. Performance

2. Camera

3. Design

4. Audio

5. Display

Apple users comments saying "it just works" is due to performance, the OS and hardware are in perfect sync so everything works near flawlessly. Then they care about the camera to take all the pictures they see fit of the world around them. Next it's the design which bring the first 2 into play and attracts the glance of people. Followed by audio, people use their phones to transport media on the go and want to have it playback well. Lastly is display to show off those photos in quick instances but its not that important spec wise only quality, hence why iphones don't have high resolution but great color reproduction.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I voted for design.  There are plenty of phones out there with great specs and top end options, but I am not going to buy them if they look ugly and are designed ina  way I don't like.  Example:  Samsung devices have a physical home button and the fingerprint reader on the front.  I will never buy one of their devices as long as those aspects are there.  The last Samsung device I owned was a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. 

• nthall350nthall350 Kansas City, MissouriPosts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Customization options. That's why I'm a fan of Android. I can make my phone my own. Proprietary interfaces like Touchwiz get in the way of that.

Being able to experiment with different launchers, and the ability to create my own custom apps are what I enjoy most.

Everyone always thinks I just got a new phone (it does happen frequently) because I'm always tweaking them to fit my needs. My homescreen changes constantly.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,251 mod

​ I agree with you! One of the best things about Android is the unlimited amount of customization and I really try to capitalize on that. My launchers, icons, themes are always changing although I usually go back to some of my favorites I love experimenting and it keeps me from getting bored

This discussion has been closed.