Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Top or Bottom 3.5mm Headphone Jack or USB-C port? Do you want both?

02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Where do you like the 3.5mm Headphone Jack, Top or Bottom? Or do you want to use your headphones via USB-C port only? Or would you prefer both options and which locations?</p></body>

Top or Bottom 3.5mm Headphone Jack or USB-C port? Do you want both? 20 votes

3.5mm on Top
0% 0 votes
3.5mm on Bottom
10% 2 votes
USB-C Only
10% 2 votes
I want both, but with 3.5mm on Top and USB-C on Bottom
50% 10 votes
I want both, but with 3.5mm on Bottom and USB-C on Bottom
30% 6 votes

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Both on the bottom. I could do with just USB-C only though if it provides higher sound quality than normal 3.5mm earbuds.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I selected as well, both on bottom. It's not a deal breaker for me having the 3.5mm on top though. I just prefer to have both options and both on bottom like my M8.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, really doesn't matter too much to me where it is located, but owning a few phones that have both ports at the bottom, I'm just used to having it at the bottom. Having both on the bottom is better in my opinion when you have both plugged in (e.g., in your car charging and listening to music), don't have the wires going both ways (top and bottom, making you have to set your phone on the side or lay it on the back to accommodate both ports being used.

Exactly, and if I have it in my pocket with headphones attached I like having it on bottom because I like most other people put my phone in my pocket with the top pointing downwards.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

Same here, I out my phone in my pocket top down, it's nice having the headphone Jack up in the pocket, not a major issue for me anymore as I use Bluetooth headphones now at the gym, a lot more convenient.

• osmosizosmosiz USA - NJPosts: 250

I prefer both on the bottom. Cables get in the way when they're on top. i think it helps aesthetically and in usability

I agree, it helps with cable management for sure.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I prefer the headphone input on top with the usb on bottom.

Different strokes right? It's not a deal breaker for me either way.

True. Its a minor issue, though with a cable at the bottom, I'd want it to be something more durable than a headphone input such as USB is, which for me the headphone input works better either at top or at the sides. Its not a big deal though, so long as the device has a headphone input.

Yeah, I'm just ready to get one. The anticipation is starting to get to me a little.

Understandably. The Axon 7 really truly is amazing with its specifications. I'm going to have a blast testing the audio, plus it'll need great headphones or IEMs.

Very good point.

You guys won those to keep, and not just the chance to test correct?

Ideally I would want both on the bottom for better pocket-ability and options, However definitely not a deal breaker at all. I understand that the manufacturers are trying to place everything under the sun in a small, slim form factor and sometimes some placements just aren't options anymore. I would like to have both but in the event the 3.5 mm jack was ever left out of the design I would still be happy with using the usb 3.0 for headphone audio if the phone came with an adapter.

I'm pretty sure its to keep. We'll here from the staff later today about the details. I've got my Etymotic ER 4PT IEMs ready for Axon 7 audio testing. We're planning to do a q&a for the community once we get the devices.

Nice, hope you guys get to keep them. I'll be ready with questions!

Hopefully later today I can get the q&a post up.

Good deal. I'll be thinking of some questions between now and then.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.  I want both, and I would prefer them both on the bottom, based soley on how I keep the phone in my pocket.  Not a big deal if one was on top.

Same here. Even though the A7 has it on top, it's not a deal breaker by any means.

We'll be ready to answer, It will be interesting and I'm sure we are all ready to hear what everyone wants to know first. We will start a post about it once we receive them and are ready to answer questions.

Sounds good to me!

• shibobyshiboby AppletonPosts: 121

I'm not a fan of the combined ports that require adapters. I remember when I had my T-Mobile G1 and had to carry around an Adapter all the time, which I also lost a few times. I'd rather just have to worry about bringing my headphones.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted both top and bottom.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind that in most cases,  USB-C will decrease quality,  and increase the cost of headphones,  while not lowering the price of the phone (as seen with Motorola).  Many implementations will simply move the DAC from inside of the phone, to the headphones.  Furthermore, the DAC in the headphones will be of a lower quality unless you go for something super high end. Which may not be worth it for a phone,  especially if you will not be walking around with your FLAC audio collection.

Having the audio processing and amplification done by the phone, ensures that all headphones at least get a quality input, and maintain compatibility.

Other than that,  the bulk of the USB-C connector is higher,  and more prone to wear than a standard 3.5mm TRS connector. I would rather see the mini 2.5mm connectors before they get rid of them completely.

I agree.. I'm sure they're going to kill it off at some point, but I and most people think it should hang around for a little while longer.

• lee18lee18 United StatesPosts: 341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both really need to be on the bottom imo.

This discussion has been closed.