Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Audio Preference

2»

Comments

• kimberlybrookeskimberlybrookes Kansas City, Kansas, USAPosts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would rather have a company give me ZERO marketing and instead use that money to create a kickass product, that gets recognized for being kickass.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have headphones that cost 1/4 the price that sound just as good as the Beats.  At least with my poor hearing LOL

Beats is a lot like Apple (Which it is now owned by)... Not really better than anything else, just marketed intensely as the best. Say it enough times and people will believe you.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The issue for them is that they did not do much R&D, the speakers they use,  have many of the same sound reproduction characteristics that are found in many sub $50 headphones.

Quality headphones in the $150 to $200 range,  often have little to no issues with complex audio which stresses the bass,  miss,  and treble at the same time. In cases like this,  many will start to experience an averaging of the treble,  and many other fine details in the audio.  For example,  a song like The Divine Conspiracy by Epica, struggles on the beats studio,  but is extremely detailed on the beyerdynamic dt990, or even the sennheiser hd600. It is difficult not lose detail when a speaker is being forced to produce a wide ranging frequencies at the same time,  and as you go up the price range,  you get more and more detail and accuracy, but from what I have heard,  the beats are simply not producing audio that is in line with other units in its price range.

You two are the real audio MVPS!

This all makes excellent sense! Example: That way if someone does not enjoy boosted bass, they are not stuck with it.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Fully agree, and well written

• thlimthlim virginiaPosts: 40

I love bass.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

Its definitely an interest of mine. I'm a audio purist though, so not the best person to ask about music that requires bass, mostly audio leaning towards natural reference or analytical sound. I've learned some from the bass lovers here though. Certainly interesting to learn how Beats overcharges so much. Beats targets the bass community, which there is a high demand for, so no wonder the high markup!

I would rather have an analytical sound and experience the amount of bass that was intended for that song, and if I want more I'll use an eq.

• vagavaga USAPosts: 347 ✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see how responses change if the order of the options was changed (also maybe slightly reworded to reduce some potential bias)

• I can't say I know anything related to hi performance audio but as long as I can watch a movie and the stereo front facing speakers let's me into the action! I'm a happy camper!!!!!

• I'm a fan of the quality sound, crisp, clear in hearing...

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like a neutral base with the ability to apply frequency adjustments through an EQ. My musical choice varies and each genre has it's own tuning for best reproduction.

This discussion has been closed.