Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Fingerprint sensor location

02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p style="font-size: 14px; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', 'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; color: #666666;">Where do you prefer the Fingerprint sensor? Front, Back, or Side?</p><p style="font-size: 14px; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', 'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; color: #666666;">I've had devices with them on front & back and I personally find it better on the back.</p><p style="font-size: 14px; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', 'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; color: #666666;">The ergonomics are better for me, I have a better grip on the phone, and it's unlocked by my index finger before the device is even out of my pocket.</p><p></p><p style="font-size: 14px; font-family: 'Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', 'Lucida Sans', 'DejaVu Sans', 'Bitstream Vera Sans', 'Liberation Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; color: #666666;">What works best for you guys?</p></body>

Fingerprint sensor location 24 votes

Front
8% 2 votes
Back
87% 21 votes
Side
4% 1 vote

Comments

• levivargaslevivargas United StatesPosts: 16

I've used phones with finger print scanners on the front and on the back and out of the two I prefer the back scanner slightly better. When dealing with bigger phones, the finger print scanner on the back just feels more convenient to use. It also means with on screen buttons, you get a little more screen since the scanner won't be placed at the bottom of your front screen. I have seen video reviews over phones with the scanner built in on the side and am not too sure if I'd want it there. It seems like it works fine, but if I'm getting a fingerprint scanner on a phone I kind of want to show it off, and with it being on the side it's a little hard to do so. With that being said, what is most important besides where it is placed, is how fast and effective it is. With what I've seen in current ZTE Axon 7 reviews, ZTE delivers speed and effectiveness with it's finger print scanner.

• 02busa02busa United StatesPosts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, although I do admit I do not use the FP scanner all the time; it's way better on the back in my opinion. Alot of people talk about having it on the front for when the device is on a table, but you can still use pin or pattern lock as well. Besides, if I'm going to use my device I'm going to pick it up most of the time.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the front for fingerprint, just because I do use my phone on the table from time to time and entering in the password/pin can be annoying sometimes when I'm too used to unlocking my phone via fingerprint. I've tried phones with the back fingerprint and front fingerprint. The back is convenient when grabbing out of your pocket or if you were already planning on picking up the phone from table, mount/dock, car, etc., your finger usually lay in the spot where the back fingerprint reader would be.

I can see that, I just find myself using the device way more in hand than on a table or such. everyone is different though.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I think that I would like it better on the back of the device. I have seen it on the front as the iPhone does, but I have never had it on the back, though it makes sense. When you pick up the phone, like most people do, the phone will already be unlocked as ​ has said. The ergonomics do seem to be better if it is placed on the back. As for the side, what?! When I think of phones, I think of how thin the phone is. Is it possible to put an accurate fingerprint sensor on the side as it will not read the whole finger? Do phones actually use this? I have never heard of it being placed here. Im curious as its effectiveness if so

I know the Nexbit Robin phone has the fingerprint scanner built into the power button on the side, and a couple others IF I remember correctly.

You can see the Nexbit Robin FP scanner here NextBit Robin Finger Print Test , Better Fast ? - YouTube

Not the implementation I would want at all.

Interesting. I would not want that on a device either and agree there are much better and possibly effective options.

There's a few phone that uses side fingerprint reader. Nextbit Robin seems work fine on the side. Sony Xperia Z fingerprint on the side is terrible according to reviews. A few Huawei or Honor device in China uses a side fingerprint also.

I agree, but I threw it in the as an option for those few that might want it there.

Yeah, I new i heard about more than one. Either way I had to provide that choice in the poll.

Wow, I never knew that side finger recognition was a thing. I would definitely like to see more about the Huawei and other phones that use the side. When watching the video that ​ linked, I noticed that the touch sensor was on the right side. Being right handed, as much of the population is, I would MUCH prefer it to be on the left side to be able to use my index finger as it wraps around the phone. You want the phone to fit naturally in your hand and feel comfortable holding it so to me it makes sense if you are going to place the sensor on the side, to do so where it is easily accessible.

Here's the Huawei Honor 7i; fingerprint reader on the left side of the phone. Don't think this phone ever made it outside of China.

Huawei's Honor 7i has just one flipping camera

Ulefone Future also has a side fingerprint reader, but on the right side.

ulefone Future, Bezel-less flagship, 4GB RAM, MTK 6755 P10 | Features - ulefone

Other than those few phones with side fingerprint reader, majority of the phone uses front or rear fingerprint readers.

The top phone, the Huawei, has a very nice design and is visually appealing. Do you know why it never made it out of China?

Like most of the phones from China, it usually doesn't go out to other countries, as it is marketed as a low cost/budget phone, specifically designed for the Chinese market. And the bands (LTE bands) do not work with most parts of the world, since most phones only have bands supporting China Mobile or one of their biggest carrier.

Most of those brands haven't gained much recognition here because they are obviously not well known here. They tend to focus on other markets where they are better known, but quite a few of them are trying to make their presence known in the western markets. Things are changing and alot of these companies are trying to compete here, and making some awesome devices that give you great bang for your buck.

Thats really interesting! Thank you both for sharing so much!

Stick around, you'll find alot of interesting info here.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

I started a discussion about this very topic. Rear is the ideal placement for me as it seems the most natural, also like the side (power button) like the Robin. Very excited about the axon 7 ;)

I agree, definitely on the back.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

Hello Everyone,  Have your opinion heard. There is a Survey for Fingerprint Scanners   and it not only allows ZTE to here what you like, and don't like, but it can also give you an easy 100 points! Check it out!

This discussion has been closed.