Bits And Bytes (week of 9/4)

2»

Comments

• Don't many smartphones already have the feature of accessing the camera from the lock screen? I think that this is a convenience and no matter what feature or convenience that are added to our devices,  there will always be someone that misuses it.  For example,  I could likely root this phone and add this feature on my own and then 'creep' around and shoot pictures of unsuspecting people without ZTE adding it as a feature.  I won't do that and don't condone it,  but why make all of us suffer because it could happen. I want this feature if it can be done.  I might as well not start my car and drive home from work because someone might crash into me.  ; -)

• I can't wait to get all the pictures I've missed from fumbling with my phone to get my camera app going. Mimi is going to get all those Awesome pictures of the my grandbabies that are spur of the moment and can't be redone. They NEVER pose for me.

• mtwaldmanmtwaldman Walled Lake Michigan. Posts: 25

At least with the screen "on" you get some indication.  You do not have to "point and shoot" to take a pic, you just need to hold  the phone with the lens pointed toward what you are taking.  IF you are going to do this you need to make some sort of awareness during or after.  Maybe  both the FLASH and the Shutter Go off AFTER (even if you have sound off).   and the screen goes to full brightness.

I still do not think this is a good idea at all.

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

I would occasionally use it, but the only downside of it is you can't take a good picture while the screen is off, 90% of times the object(s) will not be in the frame.

• vzwcdmavzwcdma Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Personally, I would not use that feature as I very rarely take pictures with my phone. (nothing to do with cell phone camera quality, I just rarely take pictures period)

I can definitely see the demand for it though.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't, and I think the general public wouldn't and would rather just have something like a double press power camera shortcut for the sake of focusing.

The phone is fast enough that from powering on to the lockscreen to swiping for the camera to viewfinder it takes exactly 2.23 seconds. Take out the swipe and you have it down to practically one second and some change.

In the movements you use to take out the phone, adjust it so that it's facing the subject anyway, most would have more than likely double pressed some button by then.

Cool feature, but might cause more frustration of thinking you got an awesome shot but getting blurrycam in the end. Since it's not resource intensive to create this kind of functionality due to the API in 6.0 (and 7.0 if you have developers working on it) you could use it as a unique feature to market MiFavor though.

• This would certainly be a useful feature. I would not implement this as a new hardware button or as some special combination of button presses. Easiest is to simply define a gesture you can use on the screen to open the camera. I have used this on other phones and it was reliable and fast (camera opens within 2 seconds).

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you to everyone that joined in on the discussion for

There was a lot of great insight into this potential feature.

A few responses really stood out and we'd like to congratulate the winners of

You three have been entered into our monthly drawing for prizes including $50 gift cards and ZTE Swag.

Now head on over to and join in on the discussion!

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks and I've been enjoying the discussions! Congrats to ​ and ​ also!

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same , and congratulations back at you and ​ as well.

Also... Good Luck!

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

Congrats ​ please continue providing awesome feedback!!!

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

​ Congratulations guys!! 

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats ​, ​, and ​! Well deserved!

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats you guys!!

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

congrat guys

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No I'd never use this. I've used Huawei phones before with this quick snapshot feature. You double tap a button and it opens and snaps a photo quickly. The photos always came out blurry or never with the composition I'd want. I always prefer to see what I'm taking a photo of and frame it up.