Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What new features and/or technology would attract you to purchase a ZTE device in the medium price r

2»

Comments

• jamesjames Pennsylvania, USAPosts: 423

Dream SD 816: 2 GHz 64-bit quad-core, X12 LTE, USB 3.0, Quick Charge 3.0, 14 nm, 802.11ac 2x2 MU-MIMO, camera support of up to 20 MP, 1080P external monitor support, LPDDR4 1866MHz dual-channel, bluetooth 4.1. As far as video, I think 1080p is enough for a mid-range phone with slow capture of 240 fps.
    Is that asking too much?

I'm looking forward to seeing the review.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

Hmm, as these specs are fairly identical with the SD820's specs it seems like this indeed is too much to ask for a mid-range SoC right now

Fairly close, but lacking in many regards. The differences probably wouldn't be enough for the average user to notice, but power users might note the lack of 4k support, and a few other features that wouldn't be expected in a mid-range device, but remember - this is for a 2017 mid-range. I'd expect the upcoming 830 (if that's the correct name) to have a large enough jump in features and power to off-set the similarities between the fantasy chip (816) and the new flagship chip.

• eminayeminay United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the best low end experience would be an Android One device, and that should be opened up internationally. Guaranteed updates for two years (I think) and straight from Google, allowing OEMs to save some time and money on custom OS updates.

I think any phone in the $200 or below range, consider entry-level, should now have:

HD screen 720p or 1080p, LCD

16GB storage + microSD

2GB of RAM

minimum 8MP and 2MP cameras

a decent processor (probably in the Snapdragon 400 family as they seem to be the most widely supported and updated, or 600 family if extra cost is reasonable)

fingerprint sensor on the back

make sure to include a light sensor. many lower end phones skips this

dual-band WiFi (a/b/g/n)

front speaker preferred, stereo if possible

2200maH battery minimum

Any phone greater $300 should have:

minimum 1080p AMOLED display

32GB storage + microSD

4GB RAM

minimum 12MP and 5MP cameras with additional premium features (4K video, OIS)

a high-end processor (Snapdragon 800 family or equivalent, but come on, Qualcomm is the only 3rd party chip worth having and with widest support)

dual-band AC WiFI with at least a 2x2 antenna

fingerprint sensor

front facing stereo speakers and a high quality DAC

3000mAH battery minimum

Any phone greater than $500:

$300 range phone with the most premium parts

64GB minimum + microSD

USB 3.1

> 4GB RAM

guaranteed software updates for 2-3 years

and at least one high-end unique feature (but one that won't delay updates)

i.e. zoom lens or extra slow motion camera (1000+fps), pressure sensitive screen or stylus, high frame rate screen, premium DAC, >5000mAH battery

But of course, all these desired specs per price range mean smaller margins, which is always the problem since companies need to make money.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The high end phones of 2016 are virtually identical to one another. I actually find the mid-range and the upper half of the low-end range to be the most exciting part of the market right now.

In my opinion, the best strategy for a mid-range phone is to make it a "savant"--i.e., really good at one specific thing (of course with no dealbreaking weaknesses elsewhere). LG seems to have taken this approach with their X-series phones: they have the X cam, the X screen, and the X power (huge battery). Apart from the one standout feature, the specs are decidedly midrange. But they stand out from the rest of the pack, which for midrange phones is pretty crowded.

For me personally, I would look for a midrange phone with a flagship-level camera. Unlocked bootloader would be a huge plus but not an absolute requirement.

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

Well, every single spec you are naming (except for 4K display and video support) is currently used by the SD820 So by only providing these specs it isn't lacking that much

But I get what you were willing to say. I'm not sure whether these specs will be available in next year's mid-range chips, though. Nevertheless I would appreciate it

• Under $200

-IPS or AMOLED display, preferably 1080p and high brightness

-Snapdragon 650 or Mediatek Helio X10/X20

-Quality front and rear facing camera's with a variety of modes

-Two tone LED flash preferably

-Fingerprint sensor on front, as it looks nicer and more expensive IMO

-Very small bezels (Most phones in this price range have enormous ones that make the device look cheap)

-3gb RAM and 32gb storage if possible, with SD card support and support for adoptable storage

-Aluminum body if possible, or well designed polycarbonate unibody design

-3000mAH or better, with a variety of battery saving options

-Water resistant coating (like some Motorola phones)

-Fast charging

-Front or bottom facing speakers (stereo preferred)

-Fast updates like the budget Motorola phones

This list might be asking too much for a sub $200 phone, but if it had these specs it would be a beast

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Snapdragon 650 is far too expensive to employ in a sub-$200 phone. I'd say a SD617 with QuickCharge 3.0 would be ideal.

• elflaireelflaire Kampala - UgandaPosts: 101

My wish-list ($200 - $250)

• § Storage space: From 16 GB – 32GB or 64GB + Micro SD
    • § Cameras: Big lens, Aperture (F1.6 – F1.9), Optical Image stabilization (OIS), 4K Video Recording
    • § Battery: 3500mAh and above  +  Quick Charge
    • § Audio: HiFi –Audio with dedicated Amp and DAC, Front Facing Speakers
    • § Software: Well optimized with close to stock smooth performance
    • § SOC: SD 652 +  or a good MediaTek
    • § USB: USB-C
    • § Screen: 1080p and above Amoled preferably (Minimal Bezels)
    • § RAM: 2GB - 3GB or above
    • § Sensors: Finger Print (AT BACK)
    • § Body: Metal / Aluminum Uni-body
    • § Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 4
  • kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of a smaller projector. This would keep the cost down but also keep the quality high. It would be cool if you owned one and found someone with another and did a dual monitor type set up with a computer, full wall!

I agree that if a phone is costing more than $500, it should absolutely have a big storage capacity as well as guaranteed updates for two years. As an Apple iPhone user, I find that one of the biggest drawbacks is that you pay upwards of $600 to get a phone that has 16gb and no guarantee of how long your phone will receive the newest IOS. This year especially Apple has put out so many new ones that it makes me wonder how long my phone (5c) will continue to receive updates for. I hope that I am not on 9.2 forever!

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

That would be a very cool set up. I assume there is a wall in the dorm all picked out...

Yes, there is always a wall in the dorm picked out, and if I had the space, it would be a whole room!

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I agree with most of what everyone else had said but I think a couple features that are important to me that midrangers over look is expandable storage and the massive battery which both are super important to me.

• According to me, Azon 7 has all the bells and whistles one may want in a top-of-the-line smartphone. The only thing missing is making it waterproof:)

However, from a product differentiation POV, I would say their products should focus on addressing certain audience needs.

For example,

• Students may want a smartphone tha'ts designed with unique internet features (tools to send super-quick replies, create mini videos)
    • Office-goers may want enhanced meeting/ voice recording capabilities
    • Sports enthusiasts may want water-proof, dust resistant phones
    • Music lovers might better control over music playing, synching, physical attributes that make it stand out (like Marshall phones)

Based on market segmentation, they can actually cater to specific audiences and create a fan following. But a brand, people look for consistency. I like HTC for its regular updates, reliable phones, and decent customer service. That's where ZTE's Passport program stands apart:).

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

That's a really good idea. Couple that with my idea from a bit ago where you could buy an all in one accessories/preloaded apps package depending on what kind of user you were.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to see the Axon 7 successor have a water-resistant body.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I would say anything that blows all of the other mid-range phones with some premium features.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

"Nerve Center All Things You!"  Your Style, Your Passion, Your Performance.

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• High End:

Latest SoC from Qualcomm / Samsung Exynos

4k Display (Super AMOLED)

Bigger battery (3700 - 4000 mAh)

HiFi Audio with Front facing dual speakers

Camera with OIS / EIS (both front and back)

6 GB / 8 GB RAM (or enough to run day dream and Tango. Whichever is more)

128 GB Storage with miscro SD Card support

Quick charge x.0

wireless charging

USB type C

NFC for mobile payments

Sensors like heart rate monitor,  Barometer, step calculator, etc.

All metal body

Shatter proof glass (like Droid Turbo 2)

Water proof and dust proof

• pablodudepersonpablodudeperson United StatesPosts: 14

High End:

Latest and greatest processor (obviously)

Great audio (basically what the Axon 7's equipped with)

6+ GB of RAM, with it being used properly *cough*OnePlus*cough*

MicroSD support (with 256GB support)

At least 64GB of internal storage

Wireless charging

USB Type C 3.0

Great build quality

Preferably, a more unique design, what OnePlus did with the sandstone backing gave it a unique feel, and was nice to grip, if you want something to go off of

Customizable capacitive buttons

1440p AMOLED

3500+ mAh

No camera bump

Unlockable bootloader

Open-source kernel

Water-resistent, at the least

Support for just about any bands, doesn't raise the costs a lot, and will net you plenty of customers, many Chinese manufacturers neglect this, but it is reasonable in a way

Non-bloated default UI

Camera that's at least on par with the latest Galaxy, with good software supporting it and possibly high res slow-motion

Fingerprint sensor, almost certainly on the back

Basically, what a current "flagship killer" should be, funny how ZTE is doing a better job at that than OnePlus.

Sound like a good mid-range flagship to me. Where do I order? Lol

#ZTE #AXON-7

• keshijikeshiji ChilePosts: 68

Hello!

In my inner circle I'm usually the one who's being asked to see which device contains the "three B's" (In spanish it means "bueno, bonito y barato" and it translates to "good, nice and cheap"). They ask me because I'm constantly looking for phone information and see what's the best for the money they have.

So, for low to mid phones I think the most important features are the next ones:

• Decent SoC
      A decent SoC would be one that can run programs without huge problems but obviously with its limitations. A good candidate would be a Snapdragon 652 but if this SoC is way too expensive then I'd go for a MediaTek P10 or P20... or anything that has about that performance but it's not that expensive, if you need to go even lower then a Snapdragon 410 (or any similar) would be great, just avoid SoCs such as the Snapdragon 210, they are way too slow.
    • Decent Screen (Multi-touch capabilities, viewing angles and pixels)
      AMOLED displays are kinda expensive and so are IPS-LCD screens, but having a decent panel would be huge as this tends to be a mayor let down in low to mid devices. It also needs to have decent viewing angles, decent color depth and at least 5 finger multi-touch.
    • Decent RAM.
      Most brands add 1 GB and recently it's being expanded to 2 GB on the bigger ones. Keep that trend. 2 GB to 3 GB would be amazing. 1 GB or less would be a bad idea.
    • Decent storage (16 GB as a minimum) with an expandable memory slot.
      I think this is important. 16 GB should be baseline as a good number of programs are getting heavier. The memory slot should be there as well in case the 16 GB ain't enough.
    • Enough battery life.
      Not because it's a low to mid range phone it means it should have a battery with less than 2000 mAh.
    • Good building quality.
      This might sound weird... but not because the phone will be "cheap" it needs to feel "cheap" when you use it. That means a decent built quality needs to be part of the whole process.
    • Camera
      It needs to be decent, not cheap... but not an amazingly good or else the price would skyrocket. And both of them need to be decen! At least 5 Mpx or 8 Mpx!
    • Updates
      The phone needs to be updated regularly. It'd be a great thing to have an official (or unofficial) way to update it.

One needs to have in mind that a phone in this price range isn't going to be a top-notch device but having a phone with a good number of specs I'm pretty sure would be a deal breaker and people would buy your phone, specially in emerging countries. Just look at the Moto G, it did wonders!

As for the high end phone:

• Innovation
      I think this is obvious but I think a high-end or one of the so called "flagships" need to be innovative, be it with its design or with something they can offer and other brands can't.
    • Best SoC available
      This is no brainer, but the phone MUST have the best available SoC in the market. Be it a Intel, Qualcomm or MediaTek.
    • Great screen
      AMOLED or LCD, but if it's LCD it must have a decent panel (ideally an IPS or similar) for amazing color accuracy/depth/viewing angles. An AMOLED display also needs to be good and calibrated to bring a good color accuracy with a method to avoid burn-ins.
    • Future proof
      The device needs to have features that will allow its buyers to feel the phone will last a year or two and that the brand actually updates their phones. Even when we might end buying a new phone the next year, lol. This includes ram (at least 6 GB) and a storage (at least 64 GB with a fast memory) and expandable memory.
    • Good battery life
      Having a thin phone sounds great on paper but having a slighter thicker phone for a bigger battery and a better autonomy is far more important. You guys will need to look for a sweet spot on this topic.
    • Durability
      The device needs to be tough! That means gorilla glass or a technology that approaches the Moto Maxx family. Have you seen those screens? They don't break!
    • Good band support
      Why limit a phone to just one country or two? The devices should be travel-friendly... at least in the same continent (America, Europe, Asia, South East Asia, Africa, etc.)
    • Build quality
      The phone must feel "premium" in its integrity. That means you need to take care of all details so when people pick up your phone it'll feel just "GREAT".
    • Fingerprint sensor
      Personally I don't really care where it's placed... but I think having a capacity button on the front that also works as a home button is great because it makes it a little easier to use it with one hand. The sensor tho needs to be configurable (I should be able to decide when or how the unlocking works), fast and omni-directional.
    • NFC
      No brainer, it's being added everywhere.
    • Waterproof/Dust resistance
      While I don't think it's extremely important to have an amazing certification , I do believe something such as the IP65 would be great.
    • Hi-Fi
      You guys recently added this feature and to be honest I think it's awesome.
    • Sensors
      You know, things such as gyroscope, etc.
    • USB-C
      It's the new standard! And quite good too, having an adapter is also a great thing as well!
    • Great customer service and support.
      Updates, being modding friendly, international support and warranty. Also good software polish.
    • Price
      You don't have to be extremely expensive to be great, right?

Well, these are what would attract me to buy a new device. I hope it helps...!

Thanks!

Interesting Mid-Range phone by Alcatel. The Idol 4 with comes with (JBL) front and back facing speakers. I am interested to see how this phone holds up to the other mid range phones. The idol 3 lineups were a big hit last year. They release decent mid-rangers last year and hard to beat specs. If you can beat the Alcatel midrange phones with better specs I would definitely buy ZTE ($100 - $200) range phone. I know for sure the idol still uses micro USB instead of type-c which is terrible.

idol4.PNG

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well stated. Great specs for both types.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have the Idol 3 and am waiting for the Idol 4s to be released. I considered the Idol 3 to be one of the three best well-priced phones of last year, along with the Axon Pro and Zenfone 2. I'm expecting the same this year.

If I wanted a mid-ranger I would have chosen the Idol 3 as well from last year. I normally stay within the high-end spec range when choosing my primary device. Alcatel produces great quality phones, though.

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• keshijikeshiji ChilePosts: 68

Thanks! Hopefully ZTE will also find my post helpful!

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

High End

Top of the line front stereo speakers with high quality DAC  (like Axon 7)

Leading edge camera with all of the latest features and great software running it

Unlockable bootloader!

5.5+ QHD IPS screen with exceptional colour calibration, accuracy, and range

3600+ mAh battery, quick charge

Latest SOC, 4gb ram

Fingerprint sensor on back

64gb+ storage

No unnecessary bezels (i.e., use any extra space for sensors, buttons, etc.)

MicroSD, USB-C

Premium build, good design, durability

Extra sensors, IR blaster

Updated software without bloatware

(Definitely don't want waterproof as that interferes with speaker quality, not too concerned about wireless charging, NFC, camera bump, innovation just for the sake of it)

That's a good addition - software as close to pure Android as an OEM can get, with an unlocked bootloader.

Your response in parenthesis: I like waterproofing, but I agree, ONLY if it doesn't interfere with sound quality. I've gotten used to wireless charging and would like to see that in a flagship - it's also very nice to know there's more than one way to charge my phone if I lose my wired charger, or if the USB connector breaks. NFC: very important to me - the more Android Pay spreads, the more likely I am to use it. Camera bump - I don't care about the camera bump, as my phone will always be nicely secured in it's protective case.

New addition: AR!!!!!!! A ZTE flagship device that worked like Google's "Tango" would be too amazing to pass up, especially once it's refined.

This discussion has been closed.