Bits And Bytes (week of 10/30)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll and discussion! Give your honest opinion, debate ferociously, and respect each other at all times...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: How useful would it be to launch your phone's camera by double pressing the power button?</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: Taking good pictures on your phone is the status quo for everyone. Often times, taking the best shot requires speedy hands to unlock your screen and launch the camera. What if you could simply press the power button twice to launch the camera? (for those in Axon 7 beta, you may remember this feature from way back in the early cycles)</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. After a week or so, your Mod Squad will soon identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 10/30) 70 votes

Very Useful - I would definitely use it!
78% 55 votes
Mildly Useful - It's easy enough to launch the camera already
21% 15 votes

Comments

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,128 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

very useful doesn't come close to , EXTREMELY useful / REQUIRE feature

• timmyjimotimmyjimo Seattle, WAPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭

This would be great and extremely useful for activating the camera quickly by feel alone or with gloves on.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I might be the one that prefer launching it by either gesture or on-screen swipe from lockscreen (guess I'm too used to iPhones ). But maybe have it double press volume up button to quick launch camera instead of the power button as some users might tend to press the power button on and off to just check the time and that could possibly trigger it (though I doubt, as it requires quicker double press...)

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is such a useful feature and one I use often on my Nexus 6P. As well as one I've used often on Samsung phones with the double press of the home button, or on Huawei phones with double press of volume down. Although I prefer the double press of the power button. LG also has a shortcut for this. I believe it's the volume button as well.

However my favorite one of all time is the twist shortcut from Motorola. I didn't think it would be a big deal at first but it's so easy and intuitive. I really miss this from when I had a Moto phone. So, where is ZTE's hardware shortcut?

I'd love to see this added, and if nothing else it's an option which people can disable if they don't like it. I've never had an issue with double press of the home button ​ because as you said it's a quick double press. I have had an issue with the double press of the volume button. Usually while walking around listening to music or a podcast. See something you wanna take a photo of, try to double press volume down, and it just turns down your volume instead of launching the camera ehh.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I wouldn't think the power button would be an issue after thinking about what I wrote.

I personally prefer the twist to launch shortcut from Motorola like you said; another one I like is Samsung's implementation on the home button; but in this case, the Axon 7 doesn't have an actual home button, so that can't be implemented. If it was out of the hard key buttons (volume and power), I would prefer the volume up or down button to launch the camera; but I can see that it can be troublesome for some people that are listening to music, just like you mentioned also.

• diegomderasdiegomderas Portland, OrPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

I would love for this to become a feature, I currently have to use nova launcher to launch my camera which still requires me to unlock my phone which often takes a bit too long. Maybe long gold on the finger print reader could also launch the camera.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

I would definitely use this feature! It seems like a very fast and effective way to get that camera app open and take a quick photo when it matters most 

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted mildly useful. The reason being is that although the power button is extremely easy to press on the device, when you add a case, it can become tough to press the button- especially double tapping. If we could map the feature to the home button or maybe by even long pressing the button that shows all of your apps open (not quite sure the name of the button). It's definitely a feature that would be a huge help, but I don't think it's the power button that will helpit with it's claim to fame.

• I had a xperia and it had a small camera button that would activate the camera from anywhere and then could be used to snap the photo.

I found having this hard button to be very usefull, especially since you could keep your trigger finger right on the button at all times.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a no-brainer.  To me this is a must have.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not that useful for me.  That's all I need, trying to wake the phone or launch another app and hastily double pressing the power button and taking useless meaningless pics.  Storage wasted.  Don't get me wrong once it's launched and ready for taking a pic then double pressing I'm for.  But for launching immediately, we can do that from the lock screen and shortcut. 

That's just my opinion. 

• It would be very useful and appreciated.  Have the option to turn on / off for those who love / don't love it.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been asking for this feature for a long time! It should have been implemented in Axon 7 by now.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think any way to make a device able to open the camera faster is useful. I don't think that double tap the power button is the best implementation per se as you could still missing the action if you are not tapping it fast enough. With Axon 7 featuring fingerprint sensor, maybe having the ability to swipe a select finger to open camera or long press the fingerprint sensor for like 2 seconds to quickly open the camera would be easier. Regardless which action to trigger the command, I think ultimately, it needs to significantly reduce the time needed to open the camera app and focusing on image in order to quickly take the picture before you missed the moment.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This would be a good option to add!!  that way users could enable it as needed.   I would definitely use it!!

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would 100% like to see this feature.  having a quick way to launch the camera app, is one of the main features that I miss from the Axon Pro.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, VERY useful.  I miss having an easy launch method like previous phones I have a had (for example The Moto X's twist to launch).

• rlynnsiirlynnsii Ms. United StatesPosts: 4

I use my camera all the time, to take pictures of documents / phones numbers (companies hours & phone # posted on door - that I need to remember), or to catch something my kids are doing together {these precious opportunities are few and far between & only last for a very short time; before they're clawing each other}.

I would love this feature. In fact, I am not a "Beta Tester", but would be interested in becoming a participant if I'm still able to do so..?

Hello ​. I'm sure ​ will be along any minute to give you the complete rundown, but here is one place you can start:

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

​ Hello, and Welcome to Z-Community! This thread   is dedicated to pictures taken with the Axon7, a ton of fun to check out. Also as ​ mentioned, is where current beta tests are announced. There are many threads dedicated to how beta works, and what to expect. I wrote a post a few weeks back, regarding what to expect, I will have to find it, and will direct link you to it. Should you need anything please just let me know

Always on time and helpful

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Welcome!!!   Thje ZTE Community is a Great place to be!!

• programming the home button double press and triple press for any feature is a must!

• rlynnsiirlynnsii Ms. United StatesPosts: 4

Thanks so much for your help.  I will check it out. Sorry about the delay, I wasn't following this post - when I thought that I was.