Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Share your VR experience with the Consumer Lab team.

2»

Comments

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There's a free game for Cardboard in the Play Store called Deep Space that I like. If you like shooting attacking space ships, it's pretty fun.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend against the VR capable laptops, they are the modern equivalent of the "Windows Vista capable" sticker from ancient times. A friend of mine who has the current oculus rift (production version), and a desktop with an overclocked GTX 980ti (volt mod for higher overclocks), still encounters games where the minimum frame rate will dip below 90FPS.

For non VR, you can have a game be somewhat playable at 30FPS (game console experience), and feel smooth any properly playable at 60FPS. For VR, especially at wider FOVs, and better immersion, the brain hates experiencing anything less than 90FPS, and with various simulation games which can use it, even occasional dips below 90FPS, are enough induce vomiting after an hour or 2 of gaming (though that will not stop me from trying it the next time I visit)

Overall, a VR ready laptop, will not provide an acceptable experience on a title such as Eve Valkyrie.

When they say VR ready, then mean, the best you will get is Oculus Rift Launch Title Luckys Tale VR Gameplay - YouTube  if you want to guarantee a 90FPS minimum.

Put the price of a gaming laptop, into a desktop PC, and you will have a top of the line system for current gen VR. The only real exception are those desktop replacement systems which have an actual desktop version of the video card, along with either a desktop CPU, or a top of the line mobile CPU , though that are astronomically overpriced.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a Ritech Riem headset for my phone from GearBest.com. It's pretty comfortable to wear for $10 and has a slider bars to adjust the focus.  I downloaded the AAA VR Cinema Cardboard 3D SBS app so I could watch 2D and 3D content.  The app makes it look like you're sitting in a movie theater.  I watched Iron Man 3 in 3D using the app, which was pretty cool. It really almost felt like I was sitting in a movie theater.  I've also went on a couple of Google Cardboard "sightseeing" tours.  Those were interesting and educational.  Unfortunately, VR has not been as immersive as I thought it would be.  I haven't put on the VR headset since March. I guess I just need to spend more time with it, but life kind of gets in the way.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was given a google cardboard and while it was entertaining for my personal use it had no longevity. I don't have time to sit and ride roller coasters and at the time the tech was still very new. I would be interested in testing some of the more recent headsets I've seen such as OnePlus's and yours but would want apps more suited to my interest such as current apps that take you on location tours and tell the story (Vrse) but would like more apps developed towards relaxation exercises and even potentially learning apps for DIYers. woodwork, home projects, instruments etc. I think this is just touching on the capabilities of VR.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the vast majority of what's out there is either a cardboard, or a fancy cardboard with a strap.  This may change with daydream, and the fact that the A7 is the first daydream ready phone, is exciting.  Up until now I've seen VR as a gimmick, and honestly I'm not sure where it goes.  I think that AR is likely to have far more practical applications.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

​. I also think the foray into augmented reality is a far more interesting one for me at least. I see that technology more aligned to learning and development whereas VR seems more geared towards entertainment.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

​ I have had zero personal experience with VR at this time. Until I have a chance to experience personally, I just don't have much interest in it to be honest.

• poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur.

• teutonjon78teutonjon78 USAPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used both the Vive and the Rift in store demos, same for the Samsung GearVR (with an S7 I believe).

The GearVR wasn't actually all that special, but for what is it, it was nice. The graphics quality was OK -- the presence was OK. It would be better for VR media consumption, rather than for games, especially since it's lacking any control.

For the PC based ones, visual quality would be a toss up between the two with some pros and cons between them. However, the Rift was lighter and slightly more comfortable, but it also had a large gap around the nose, which let in a lot of light and limited the immersion. The Vive wasn't uncomfortable though.

However, the Vive totally beat out the Rift in terms of presence. When I had the Vive on with the wands and RoomScale/Chaperone, I could immediately move around the space and interact with the space and it wasn't disorienting. Using the Rift to me was very disorienting since I had no link to the rest of my body in the VR world. I think phone VR overcomes this by not being quite as immersive. The Rift kind of ends up in this uncanny valley of very good visuals but not good enough presence. It would be fine for the seated experience it was designed for, but the demo was standing in an open space and I felt unsafe moving around, which I never did the the Vive.

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I have the Samsung Gear VR which came with my S7 Edge.  I do love it (as do my kids).  We have watched a few VR clips/movies and played some VR games, and it all seems amazing.  The one thing I would say though, is that the Gear VR is slightly heavier than I'd like, but by no means a deterrent.  Very enjoyable, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on where this goes.

• bje2525bje2525 Louisiana - USAPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭

AS for me I have not used any big name brands but have tested and own over 5 pairs of starting manufacturers from Amazon and eBay.  I love to use them for playing games and watching movies.  When the 17 nieces and nephews come over they love to play around with them. I've been looking in the market for some that require no phone or some like oculus or halolens.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like many others here have mentioned, the Google cardboard was my first experience with VR. I didn't go very far with it as I saw it to be more of a gimmick. I tried another headset that was very very nice and really opened my eyes to VR. I think the quality of the headset is important in having a successful experience. They headset must be comfortable in order to get the "out of this world" experience rather than constantly feel in on our face. That is one if the biggest things I will be looking at when purchasing a VR headset

This discussion has been closed.