Bits And Bytes (week of 11/20)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll and discussion! Give your honest opinion, debate ferociously, and respect each other at all times...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: Is being able to change the vibration intensity/pattern/duration of your phone a must have, should have, or nice to have?</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: Vibration and haptic feedback have been important features in our smart lives. However, as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks - customized intensity, pattern, duration, or even assignable intensity/pattern/duration for different functions. But is all of this overkill? Is too much "customizability" a bad thing when it comes to this particular topic?</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. After a week or so, your Mod Squad will soon identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 11/20) 80 votes

Must have
16% 13 votes
Should have
25% 20 votes
Nice to have
58% 47 votes

Comments

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

I would love to be able to customize the vibration  pattern/intensity etc.,  on my device.  It would be useful to make it stronger or subtle depending on the situation or have specific pattern for a priority alert of your preference while the device is in your pocket and you want to be notified of something specific.  Is it a must have for me,  No.  However it would be nice to have indeed.  

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

personally I feel it is a nice feature but not absolute needed. What I think is most essential is the vibration motor to be strong so I can feel it while in my pocket in silent mode to know there is an incoming notification. Also, the vibration motor should not be rattling. Other than that I do not care much about other extra features like intensity or patter, duration, etc.

• mrknight85mrknight85 United StatesPosts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to have this option for example if I'm sitting at home reading a book and my phone's on my lap I can have a nice subtle vibration or when im at the gym and it's loud and im moving around I can have a more intense vibration so I can feel it more in my pocket.

• dasm1078dasm1078 OrlandoPosts: 157

It would be nice the adjust Length and intensity or maybe like small vibrates for texts.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice to have but not too necessary to me as the stock options is sufficient enough, but I can see that it can be useful to some people who like to change the length and intensity depending on what kind of notification or call it is; etc.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In my case it would be a nice to have, but not necessary because the vibration is pretty good on the device. 

If it was made an option it should have the following features:

1.) be able to change the strength of the vibration

2.) Be able to change the pattern of the vibration

3.) be able to set the vibration different for different notifications...example Text, Skype, phone calls, calendar event...etc...

• Phone vibration is a useful tool in lieu of the ringtone and other notification sounds. Unfortunately, for some phones, such as my HTC One (M8), it sometimes seems pointless to turn the ringtone off and put the phone in vibration mode, because the vibration is practically as loud as the ringtone! The whole point is to not cause a disturbance, but that vibration can be heard across the room. The usefulness of this tool would be better if it could be adjusted and calibrated to fit the needs of a particular situation. Since it is already possible to simply not use vibration, in the end I consider this an optional "nice to have" addition to the smartphone tool chest.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's useful and although it's in silent sometimes it's intense vibration can be heard especially during a meeting, but you still wish to be informed.

• I just need the haptic feedback to let me know I got a notification. I would never try to decipher what kind of notification it was based on vibration pattern or intensity. The lock screen is easy enough to access for that information, especially if the phone wakes on lift or based on sensors similar to the Moto X. I only need a way to turn off vibration if I need to during a meeting or some similar situation.

• kingantoniuskingantonius Conroe, TXPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

It's nice to have, but in the end it's just a gimmick. I was able to do it on one of my Note devices, I think the Note II. But it was only half useful as all you could change was the length of the buzzes, which I matched to the Star Wars Imperial March or whatever it's called.

It could be somewhat useful if there was an actual editor app for it that lets you make adjustments to the frequency of the vibration. Then if your phone is on a table, you could have it buzz a specific tune instead of just different length buzzes that are all the same frequency/tone.

• I would say intensity is very important to be able to customize, but custom pattern and duration, not so much.

• I voted "nice to have".  Vibration control is not very high on the priority list.  If the software is solid, vibration in not a make or break feature.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I picked "Must have".

These functions are common in many 3rd party ROMs, and extend beyond notifications, for example, some people like to customize the intensity and duration of the vibration for when they are typing on the keyboard,

Some people may also want different vibration behaviors, for example, if you are using the sound recorder, the keyboard can have a much lighter vibration as to not cause too many issues with the recording.

Android in general has a strong focus on allowing the user to customize their experience, and the best devices provide the users more control over every aspect of their experience.

Given that the menu can be fully customized by the company, it is possible for them to easily add an additional advanced menu where various functions can be loaded with many additional settings that can be adjusted.

The additional control benefits all users, the users who do not need the control, can simply ignore the option (similar to how if you if you build toddler his or her first PC, they will not be bothered by the additional control offered by the registry editor, powershell, and group policy editor, but should the time come, e.g., windows decided to restart to install an update while you are in the middle of a game, then they will learn just the one aspect of the advanced controls needed to disable that function.

I like the idea of giving users all of the control that can possibly be given, and then arrange them in a user friendly way where users only delve as deep into the layers of complexity as they are comfortable with.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would really like to see the intensity of the vibration setting, it would be nice to turn down the intensity a bit

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I went with nice to have as well.  The intensity of the motor on the A7 where it is currently is just plain too low.  I can't feel it in my pocket, which is the whole point of me using vibration.  That way I don't have to bother others with whatever crazy ringtone I have set.  You know the ones, in the aisle of the grocery store, volume cranked up, some 80s elevator music set as the ringtone.  Then when they do answer they talk loud enough for the whole store to hear. No, I'd rather just have a vibration notify me of any calls or new messages. But it needs to be strong enough to do that in the first place.

• kennedy0201kennedy0201 MainePosts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think it is necessarily a must have, but it would be nice to have. As I have always said, more features are better, as long as they can be disabled by users who do not with to utilize that function. In my situation, I don't think that I would necessarily use this feature as it was an option on my previous phone and I never used it. I can see why people would like it though, I just have no purpose for it.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 209 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that patterns and other settings for vibration is a little overkill. A simple vibration intensity slider or setting best suits my needs.

• tabletalker7tabletalker7 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there an option to vote for "don't care" with this one?

• firesilverblade1firesilverblade1 hanahhan, SCPosts: 70

There should be another answer like don't care or doesn't matter cause some times I just turn the heptic feed back off.