Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Do More Android Phone Manufacturers Need to Bring Back a Removable Battery?

2»

Comments

• I think one reason why manufacturers are staying away from removable batteries is due to the rise in popularity of water proof and dust proof designs.  I think I read somewhere that the case needs to be sealed to be waterproof/resistant, and you lose that with a removable battery, see V20.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think there's room for both in the market.  Some offer some don't.  Why does it need to be one or the other?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are some smartphones with removable batteries and are still waterproof, for example, the Galaxy s5 Active Samsung Galaxy S5 Active - Full phone specifications

Outside of smartphones, there are a massive number of industrial equipment with user replaceable batteries (along with a bunch of other user serviceable internal components), while being fully waterproof. Overall it is possible, though it may not be as easy to do as with a device with a non-removable back.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was talking more from a manufacturing standpoint. A removable back requires a gasket to be made, and the latching/ retention of the back panel has to be designed to apply even force, and depending on the depth of water it has to handle, you may have to coat the gasket with a thick oil.

I personally feel it is worth the extra work to go and add the removable back for easy battery replacement.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you.

• trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I will carry around an external battery pack before I will carry a spare battery. For one they are universal and can be used for any phone you have a cable for, and secondly they are not likely to get punctured and explode into flames in your pocket. I also try to buy phones that are going to make it through an entire day without the need for an extra battery or a charger.

This discussion has been closed.