Bits And Bytes (week of 12/4)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll and discussion! Give your honest opinion, debate ferociously, and respect each other at all times...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: How important is "Night Mode" for those who use your phone while you should be sleeping?</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: Whether it's good or bad, there aren't many necessities in life that are more important than having your phone these days. Many of us are skipping the recommendations of sleep experts who tell us to put the phone down for a while before we hit the sack. So enter into Night Mode, which aims to reduce or eliminate the infamous blue light that's disrupting our sleep. For you night owls, is this mode super important to you or do you find other ways such as dimming your screen to minimize the side effects?</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. After a week or so, your Mod Squad will soon identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 12/4) 54 votes

Night Mode or Nothing
59% 32 votes
Dimming the screen works just fine
22% 12 votes
I don't care
18% 10 votes

Comments

• gokugoku California, USAPosts: 9

As someone that uses my Axon 7 mini in the dark for almost 2 hours everyday, Night mode would be absolutely essential. Using the built night mode in some apps i can see some significant differences. Night mode is easier on the eyes and after getting used to it, even the lowest of brightness settings seem to be uncomfortably bright. Any kind of Night mode would be extremely helpful and would be absolutely welcome.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I personally think I'm fine with either dimming the display to the lowest brightness possible or enabling night mode. I previously had the iPhone 6S which had scheduled night mode and it was nice feature to have, makes the screen warmer/yellower, but to me, I really didn't notice too much difference for comfortability. On the Axon 7 and Galaxy S7 Edge, I just lower the brightness to the lowest possible and use it in bed at night and I'm totally fine with that option. I don't see much affect it has on me with it's regular cool display before sleeping, but that's just me; it might have some affect on others, but not all or maybe I'm just used to it

• msieger2018msieger2018 United StatesPosts: 104 ✭✭✭✭

Please let it completely remove bluelight. Built into nougat (an app must be used to unlock it in ui tuner) you can lower bluelight but not remove it.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wake up early everyday @ 3:00 a.m. and also stay up late  so using my phone in the dark is very important to me.  If the screen on my phone is so bright that it hurts my eyes  at night it will make my eyes tired and hence I will be tired for the remainder of the day.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who is looking at screens all day and all night from wake to going to bed, I do use a screen filter app at night to help with the way the lighting pierces my eyes and it makes it alot easier on the eyes in the evening and in the early morning. It would be nice to be able to click a night mode option directly from the quick actions.

• Just need a bit more tweaking but honestly, the dim display works fine enough. Night mode always felt weird to me. I don't get eye strain at night from just a well calibrated dim display. Night mode would probably benefit people that spend 8 hours screen on time though. My best answer would to have the option to choose.

• Some things are just common sense. When we know that screens can dramatically impact our sleep

patterns AND we know that Night mode addresses these issue WITHOUT  inhibiting our experience

using the product THEN common sense tells us to include this functionality in our products....surely?

OEMs should install a Nightmode on any product with a screen as STANDARD! Obviously the end user

should be able to turn the setting off, if they wish to, BUT it should be enabled as standard because

we know it helps and has health benefits...so, yes:in the Poll above: Night Mode or Nothing

• firesilverbladefiresilverblade Hanahan, south carolinaPosts: 19

I just dim my screen I really never used night mode on any of my phones that did have it.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think night mode is a fine option for those who want it, but I doubt it really has much impact on sleep quality. Surely the primary enemy of sleep is the cell phone use itself, not the blue light.

• gaurab43gaurab43 Maryland, U.SPosts: 113

Night mode would really help the glare some people might face when phone being used on dark to no light environment. Reduction in blue light definitely helps. Right now using very low screen brightness is not bad since the level it drops down to is great. Not every one eye are created equal some are sensitive to certain wave of light other don't but reduction to blue light definitely help. I would also like to request the dev team if you guys are willing to add black theme where everything is black except the text which will be white ( may be you can customize the text color as well like in OP 3)? I think this will help increase the battery life of the phone much more and i think it is easy on eyes.  I am using dark mode on twitter for example and i can definitely tell how easy on eye it is even though it is not totally black. This is definitely something to think about. Thank you for your time. Love Axon 7. ​.

Also how close are we on nougat? Can we get it as Christmas gift?

• After my initial reply i went and did some reading, especially after reading the comments here.

Sleep deprivation is a huge problem, exacerbated by our use of Mobile devices. There is genuine

research that shows that a night mode really does help, and would help the end user.

As we know: Light has a huge effect on our well being. So significant that in areas of the world where

there is less daylight, it has become essential to implement light therapies to avoid depressions etc.

These effects have been studied for many years. Recently it has become apparent that continued exposure to blue light

deeply impacts sleep....ZTE is an innovator, a leader and in not afraid to take risks and the initiative.

Thus having done some reading i would appreciate a good night mode on the ZTE handsets, it will take some getting used to

for the end users but we will all adapt, and sleep better hopefully.

• night mode to me is not that important.  I've lived without for awhile and dimming the screen works just fine. 

The only time I would like it, is when my family and I are driving at night.  The bright lights from the phones are very distracting for me, as the driver, as the bright screens make it harder to see out the windows.

• It is quite worrying that comments show people believing that dimming the screen helps... It has nothing to do with the quantity of light but with the light spectrum (light that we see is a sum of many colours). By using software to filter the spectrum colours that are detrimental to sleep.... You help the end user. By lessening the intensity of unfiltered light (dimming) you achieve little to nothing.

A night mode is an active filter using only the spectrum colours that have no effect on sleeping....a good thing...

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Night/dark mode is a must. Regardless of what brightness the white is, it'll still disturb your circadian cycle which is bad for health, having a AMOLED black theme will greatly enhance the phone's battery life and will be beneficial to the user's health. It is a really important thing to add that I really hope is added in Nougat or soon after. It is a must have.

• tj.exetj.exe United StatesPosts: 0

I use my phone (ZTE Obsidian) a lot when I should be sleeping, but I really don't see a need for such a feature so long as the screen brightness is all the way down.  Additionally, the redshifting of the phone screen almost makes me feel guilty about not getting enough sleep at night even though the stuff I'm doing is usually very important. I also haven't had many problems sleeping after using my phone this way either, but this might just be how I operate.

• timmyjimotimmyjimo Seattle, WAPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭

I currently use a 3rd party app and while it works pretty well, native support would be that much better.

• jasjit123@hotmail.com[email protected] Mississauga, ONPosts: 2 ✭✭

Night mode is great!

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

All things aside I just like the way Night mode looks better.  So I quickly Upvoted this one.  Saves battery life no matter how small. 

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could debate all day long to why all device should have night mode. All i have to say is that I have been using Flu.x and Twilight on laptop and android devices respectively, and i don't miss that feature at all, but It would make a great addition on ZTE devices for sure.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I usually just dim the screen, as I hate display adjustments which causes the display to deviate further from sRGB or Adobe RGB standards.

• rlynnsiirlynnsii Ms. United StatesPosts: 4

I would really LOVE to have a night mode. I have a tendency to "avoid" going to bed. I just don't want to go to sleep b/c I have a hard time getting up (or waking up w/o groggy effect whether I've slept 8+ hours or not).

Anyhow, IDK if it the screen really affects my ability to go to sleep or not (I wouldn't doubt it though. I'm on this thing ALL day!), but I DO know that the screen is super bright at night - whether I've dimmed it or not.

Most of the time, I've got my screen dimmed about as far as it can be at night and it's still very bright.

So, if there's a "night mode" that allows it to be:

1.) less bright (which in and of itself would be awesome)

2.) set up on a timer (even better!)

3.) filters out the "bluelight" (I think I might be in heaven)