Bits And Bytes (week of 10/9)

petershihpetershih ZTE FanaticUnited StatesPosts: 378 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>Welcome to our weekly <a _jive_internal="true" href="https://community.zteusa.com/message/50320">Bits And Bytes</a> poll and discussion! Give your honest opinion, debate ferociously, and respect each other at all times...</p><p></p><p><strong>Question</strong>: For those who have used telephony apps like Google Voice in the past, are they still relevant and useful in 2016?</p><p></p><p><strong>Context</strong>: When Google Voice first came out, it was rather unique and beneficial on many fronts. But with the proliferation of similar apps, coupled with cheaper cellular data and text messaging, the landscape may have changed. In this week's poll, select the option that most suits you, but also state what your go-to features are. If you have alternative apps you use instead, please list them out as well.</p><p></p><p><strong>Action</strong>: 1. Select one of the options below and 2. reply to justify your reasoning. Although there is no correct answer, please provide sound reasoning to support your selection. After a week or so, your Mod Squad will soon identify and reward those with the most thoughtful responses!</p></body>

Bits And Bytes (week of 10/9) 43 votes

YES - I actively using it at least once a week
32% 14 votes
SOMEWHAT - I use it once or twice a month
18% 8 votes
NO - I hardly use it anymore or have uninstalled it
48% 21 votes

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used to use Google Voice as a secondary number and sort of for texting, but now, I use that number for spam calls and text for when I sign up for coupons, etc. At this time, there are so many other options out there that provides text/instant messaging, voice calls, video calls, etc.; like WeChat, Line, Whatsapp, and others. I've moved on to use mostly WeChat and Line, as those 2 apps can do messaging and video and phone calls if needed, as well as having a bonus of having some social media integration/timeline to share and post stuff in. However, the downside of WeChat, Line, and other apps is that most require you to add the person before you can do any chats with them, unlike Google Voice and actual cellular network, where you have a physical number to use for text and calling.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hardly used Google Voice and I hardly use other voice apps.  I also don't make calls much anymore. Everyone I communicate with just prefers to use some sort of instant messaging. Even my mother at 77 is using instant messaging quite a bit. So for me it's not much.  I do know others that use it quite a bit though.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use google voice on hangout. I like the fact it is simple and just get the job done. While I think a lot of newer apps are nice and cool, for me, I only use google voice for its texting and international, which serves me quite well for what it does. The fact it is so simple and dumb makes the apps loads quickly and the UI simple to navigate without much of the new stuff that you get from some of the othe rapps.

• maulgandhimaulgandhi United StatesPosts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still use Google Voice for voicemail, but instead of using the app, I have my voicemail setup & forwarded to my Google Voice Number. Once that is taken care off, Google does pretty good job transcribing voicemail and forwarded to hangouts. I still enjoy the benefits of Google Voice.

To those, who don't know, Hangouts will be replaced soon by Google Duo. Google will be focusing hangouts more on business side than consumer side. We will be losing ability to get transcribed messages on hangouts (These are the rumors, I heard from time to time, we will find out soon by Android 7.1 release).

• timmyjimotimmyjimo Seattle, WAPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭

My google voice number has been my primary number for a few years and it is my only number as of right now. I have a data only smartphone plan from T-mobile so all of my calls to and from my phone are through Hangouts. This is a great unadvertised plan ($35 +1.88/month for 6 Gb including rollover, bingeon, etc.) but it only works as long as Hangouts continues to support my google voice number. I suppose I could always port the number if google does remove support for this feature but I like having the freedom and lack of hassle that I currently enjoy.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use google voice frequently. It adds more functionality to general voice calls, and has been my primary number for a long time.

I primarily use it because I can easily take calls while on my PC. Furthermore,it allows for better quality Since I can use a much higher end large diaphragm microphone, along with some multi band compression to keep levels within an ideal range. For those who are not using it, consider this, it is amazingly convenient when you can use a headset with your PC, or quality headphones + desktop mic, and send and receive calls while gaming. It makes it much easier if you get placed on hold for 50 minutes, and since you are on your PC, it is far easier to get a high quality recording of the call.

The other good benefit, is being able to easily block spam calls at the carrier level. With most spam call blocking apps, the phone may ring once before the call is dropped, thus still allowing it to annoy you. When you use your phone number with multiple companies, the numbers always end up in the hands scam callers since many companies sell customer data. With google voice, those calls get blocked before they ever reach my phone.

If I am in a location where I get no cell service, and also no WiFi calling, I can use google voice +the hangouts dialer to send and receive calls.

For example, for me, devices with WiFi calling do not work on the WiFi network at my college, and the construction of the building means that many parts get no cell service at all. Google voice still works, then I am still able to send and receive calls.

The voice mail functionality of google voice, also beats what t-mobile offers, as with no cost, they transcribe everything, allow for easier playback of messages on multiple platforms.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

I used this a very little bit years ago. Are you still able to use a google voice number to mask your cell number? I change my cell number every 2 months, would be great if I could just give a google number, rather than having to tell everyone new number again.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It can still be used that way. When I use an additional device on a different phone number, I usually have google voice forward calls to that number.

If you use the handouts dialer to make a call, it will mask your phone number.

Untitled-1.jpg

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,630 mod

​ That is exactly what I need! Thanks for responding

• taotao Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am in Canada and we can get unlimited anytime nationwide calling for $45 or so a month, with no roaming in country.  I don't need data calling.  If I need to make a call to the US, I would normally pay 50 cents a minute, but I just get a calling card and pay 5cents a minute.  It is a pain to set up a calling card, but you can enter it into your phone for a number you call, and then you just have to dial the number pretty much as normal from then on.  Same goes for international calls.

I also have a PC so I can use any voice program I need to for calls which are longer.  It isn't like I am going to talk to a friend who is overseas for hours on end when I am out of the house (thus needing to do it on my cell phone).

• I use google voice for a phone number for potential sales calls I don't want to recieve.  I used to use it for voicemail for my VZW phone, it was great in lieu of the VZW voicemail, and even translates to text.  I now have t-mobile that has a free app for voicemail that is decent, so I just use that.  But I do have a friend on VZW that just got a google voice account and the app for its voicemail capabilities on VZW.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Google Voice is my main number and has been for many years now. I've been through several phones, changed my number many times, and also use test phones and review units. Having Google Voice has saved me by giving me one number all these years I can always use and give to people. I might be a unique case but it's very important to me.

• rangerlgrangerlg Cypress, TXPosts: 89

The only time I used GV is as a spam dump.  When giving companies a number that they could potentially sell or a company I may use one time.  With apps like TrueVoice now, I have unistalled GV.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

I have used it for years to simply listen to and read transcribed voicemails.  Nothing more, but I like it.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Google Voice is 100% relevant still. I use Google voice as a means to control the phone numbers that I may be using at any given moment. With Google voice being able to forward all numbers to 1 number is super helpful. Also having unified control of SMS/MMS on any device that is synced in real time is also one of the handy features that still makes GV relevant. There is also the fact that you can set up call screening to have people state there name before the call will connect when calling from block or private numbers. Now that its accessible through hangouts its even better to because for the longest time there was no updates or changes to GV so its nice to have an app that is actually modern looking and designed relatively well for the use of it.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A special shout out goes to and for their responses to