Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

How do you BackUp your Device

frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support EngineerTexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
<body><p>If you are like me and transition your phone from one to another and another. </p><p>You tend to lose some files, contacts and apps.</p><p>Sometimes you get corrupted information like duplicate contacts or mislabeled contacts.</p><p>At other times you get files you cannot open and that special picture of your love you cannot show because it is no longer in an openable format.</p><p>Or you are paranoid and do not want to lose things only to have your external device, cloud, or drive fail on you.</p><p>I know you have been there. </p><p>My favorite is you just got a new phone you thin you transferred everything and you rest to factory your former phone.  </p><p>Yep done it plenty of times. </p><p></p><p>What are your experiences and how do you back up?</p></body>

How do you BackUp your Device 19 votes

External via Mini USB
5% 1 vote
Google Itself
31% 6 votes
Google Drive
5% 1 vote
SD Card
21% 4 votes
Direct to PC
36% 7 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed after losing a good amount of contacts, files and externally acquired apps I now back up. 

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Standard google backup.  I don't keep anything on my phone that isn't replaceable.  Let me rephrase that, i TRY not to keep anything on my phone that isn't replaceable

• hiker75hiker75 FloridaPosts: 108

I actually use a combination.. Google itself backs up most of my important info: Contacts, Apps, and SMS (via SMS Backup+)

For pictures/videos/voice files, I back up directly to my computer (via Airdroid)

For App/Game data files, I usually back up to either a computer or the SD Card.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's me as well. 

i will admit though I got paranoid especially with contacts.  I have having to recover them by manually typing them in again.  Lol!

Nice ​ that is a great idea. 

I use the Dual USB ,Mini USB to move files off the Axon Pro and onto my PC.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

I use Google Contacts for backing up.   I have been using that for 6+ years and never had any issue.  They also have a method where you can manually backup the contacts on their website, which is nice. 

Photos - I use Google Photos, which is fantastic.  I also utilize IFTTT to backup in different places.  Whenever I take a picture, it will process to Dropbox & Box.net as well. They have a ton of recipes that automates this, pretty awesome.

I backup every now and then on computer, but that's rare.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

Oh and I also have everything back up to my NAS at home.  So I have data in lots of places, overkill but I work in IT and have seen too much data get lost.  So backup plan is always needed.

• elflaireelflaire Kampala - UgandaPosts: 101

I am a little lazy in this area so i automate it and leave it to google to do it for me

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

All of my contacts are backed up through Google. My photos and videos through Google as well as sd card. All my documents and downloads straight to the sd card as well.

I hear you "try" is the key word. I've always tried not leave anything on my phone that isn't replaceable but have last files/images important to me that were not backed up in the past. If your phone dies on you and you get a new one, I think that if in some fashion you are able to retore 75% + of your old files than you did you did your due diligence and were successful.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

Google Drive is my school, work, music, everything haha

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the contacts and phone info is either synced to Google or iCloud, so not much backup I need to do besides my photos which I store on my computer in Aperture and another backup of the photos on an external hard drive from time to time. Photos are the only main thing I really backup now. If you're talking about school related documents or any documents in general, it's on my computer, Google Drive, and flash drive

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Google for me.

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I don't have a backup currently, though I'll probably use OneDrive for when I get the Axon 7.

​ try box and google drive as well.  they are both pretty good and free. 

At one point Box had a promo going with the HP touch pad...I believe I got 100gb free storage. Still use it and it works very well for me.

i got box off Microsoft and also got about 100GB free space. 

You can't beat it! I mean I think dropbox and google drive may work a little better but box still holds its own you can't beat the amount of free storage we received.

That's for sure.  Its good to have that storage available. 

• 2pointdooj2pointdooj Morocco, OujdaPosts: 590 ✭✭✭✭

It seems the majority leave it to google

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

To my PC which is also backed up.

• jtzmax7jtzmax7 Bridgeport, USAPosts: 1,145

I'm a big google drive fan, most things i put up don't take up any space so 15gb is plenty

• arysynarysyn IllinoisPosts: 1,067

I might. I'll see how much I'll need to, since there is a MicroSD slot and I put a lot of the storage onto my two computers.

• Well, I like to backup the data to pc that I usually use. It is convevient for me to look for data.

AirDroid is a nice tool for data backup, you can transfer photos or other files from phone to pc quickly , and it supports wireless data transfer.  But, it doesn't support  contacts or text messages transfer, so I use other android transfer tool to save text messages.

This discussion has been closed.