Why Notification LED Light Timeout?

<body><p>I've owned several phones with a notification LED but the Axon 7 is the first one where the LED only stays on for 5 minutes after receiving a notification.  All my other phones kept the LED blinking forever until I dismissed the notification.</p><p></p><p>I normally leave my phone on my desk during the day.  When walking past my desk, I could easily see if there were any missed calls while I was away.  On the Axon 7, if I'm away more than 5 minutes, I need to pick up the phone and wake it up to see if there are any missed calls or notifications.</p><p></p><p>What is the purpose of disabling the LED after 5 minutes?  I seems to defeat the whole point of the LED in the first place - which is to notify you that you missed some event on the phone and should pick it up and turn it on for details.  With the current situation, you need to keep turning it on regardless if you've been away longer than 5 minutes so the LED serves no useful purpose.</p><p></p><p>Please either don't disable the LED like all other phones or at least offer an option in the settings.</p></body>

Why Notification LED Light Timeout? 72 votes

No Change - Keep current 5 minute timeout
4% 3 votes
Disable timeout - Keep LED enabled indefinitely
34% 25 votes
I need option to Enable or Disable LED timeout
61% 44 votes

Comments

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If the LED notification is timing out at 5 minutes, clearly the code is in place to handle timing the operation.  So, I would like to be able to set the timeout period rather than just an on or off selection.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Options

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This timeout is another option forced on us by ZTE.

• I couldn't agree more.  The 5 minute timeout is silly.  I do not like to turn on my phone unless I have a notification, and looking for the blinking light is what i've done on every phone.  It should be indefinite, or at worse, be configurable.  A tiny LED light blinking uses next to 0 battery, I don't buy that argument.

• tomwattstomwatts Posts: 39 ✭✭✭✭

I tried it and it is indeed limited to around 5 minutes only. That means I have to set an alarm every 5 minutes to check for notifications. Hopefully, ZTE will add this to the next update.

• vanguyvanguy USAPosts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to agree. Leave the notification LED on until dismissed. That's the whole purpose of the notification. It can't use that much battery power.

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 719 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This extreme "power saving feature" is absurd, it's against functionality.

• It's interesting that if I toggle the power switch, the notification LED light resumes blinking for another 5 minutes.

Can someone from ZTE confirm if the timeout is actually a bug or intended feature?  As can be seen from the poll, virtually none of your customers want the current LED light functionality.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a timeout option with time settings.

• wiljamzwiljamz Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely makes no sense.  All other phones I have had keep notification LED on until notifications are dismissed.

I don't think I am getting a light for missed calls either.  Anyone else had this issue?

With their power miser settings it should be clear that their main goal is battery life at all costs. 

• alferalfer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wish ZTE would make the notifications LED as bright as the bright red "charging" LED. I know they are the same LED but I don't understand why they think a dim green light was a decent idea for notifications. I literally can barely see it blink unless I hold the phone just at the right angle, no way to see it in the daylight.

Please ZTE, boost the notification LED!  I don't care if the color can't be changed (would be nice!), just make it BRIGHTER !!

• Can those that voted for a setting share use cases?

I'm very surprised that anyone wants timeout settings, let alone a majority of users. A Disable/Enable Notification Timeout and the possibility of a Duration setting seems like yet more unneeded options to me - just more settings clutter. Maybe people are looking for a general Disable/Enable Notification LED, which the poll didn't include. I'd like to hear use cases for that too really - not sure why you would want to turn off the notification LED, but it seems infinitely more plausible than timeout settings.

As has been said, a notification led that times out is pretty useless.

• wxbosswxboss Oakland Park, FLPosts: 30 ✭✭✭✭

I've owned at least 3 ZTE phones in the past and each one had a notification light that stayed on until the event was dismissed or acknowledged. I was really surprised to find out that the notification light on this phone is on a timer. It just seems weird to me.

• stanthemanstantheman Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE probably thought it would make the battery last longer to have it shut down on its own. So I can see people wanting to set a time out, say for when they are sleeping during the night...no need to have it flash all night since you will check everything in the morning anyway. But I can also understand not having even more setting to mess with. So "for me" I would be happy for an on or off setting only, but I can see why some would desire a setting for when the LED shuts off on its own.

• Thanks for the use case. I would be curious to hear the actual power usage of one of these LEDs if someone knows. I suspect the the usage is insignificant compared to other components that are almost surely to be enabled, like the various radios. I'm not even sure of the duty cycle - my understanding is that brightness of an LED is controlled by cycling the LED on and off so fast you don't see the blinking. On top of the time the LED is actually off while "on" (brightness duty cycle), the Notification LED visibly blinks, so isn't even visibly on all the time anyway.

Anyway, I guess it annoys me that the software developers were tasked with spending time on this feature at all.