Bits And Bytes (week of 1/15)

Comments

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stock + unlockable bootloader.  The best of both worlds.  Casual users get a clean, easily updated OS and power users can load whatever custom ROM suits their needs. 

• diamonddavediamonddave United StatesPosts: 394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can you imagine if Google and ZTE collaborated and delivered the Axon 7 and Stock Android right from the get go last year, at $399? Slam dunk, no? ZTE has a chance to make it so.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly.  Let Google do the heavy lifting on the base OS, and set your internal developers to work creating apps that truly enhance the user experience.  Focus on the music player to take advantage of all of the amazing audio hardware built into the phone.  Work on the camera app to improve the quality as much as possible given the limitations of the aperture.  Get those security updates out as soon as possible.  ZTE would quickly become the go-to developer for power users and budget-minded consumers.

• hgelpkehgelpke Posts: 19 ✭✭✭✭

Provide all the drivers necessary for developers to create custom roms and the respect for ZTE will increase exponentially in the android scene. Right now, we are beholden to ZTE for updates but with custom rom support we will be able to use this phone after ZTE has moved on to the Axon 8 while at the same time making the next phone more enticing thanks to the consumer support.

I'd also like to add that the best choice would be to release the Nougat source and binary blobs and let developers go to town. One of the main reasons I bought this phone after 3 generations of Nexus phones was the story about ZTE working with the Cyanogenmod device maintainer to get an active rom up and running. Per the XDA thread on that rom, the developer has not been in touch with ZTE for awhile now, leaving everybody with a half baked rom. I don't know where the issue has popped up but it's there none the less.

ZTE should look to Nextbit and their Robin phone for a great example to follow. Even though they have their proprietary stuff, they actively work with developers and actively support custom roms. I know ZTE is a large company but there is a real chance to gain the support of the most staunch android supporters who may otherwise look at a One Plus 3T.

Hopefully this survey has some backing in a greater conversation at ZTE and isn't just fluff. It really could be a fantastic step forward.

• I'm not even exactly sure why ZTE is polling this or why the community is voting. ZTE has a bad track record with recent devices and unlocked bootloaders(and software updates). Apparently shunning the development community who actually brought the brand to my attention years ago with Modaco and the massive amounts of development for the Blade and related variants. I've had a couple newer ZTEs and while they're nice devices, the lack of support and inability to unlock the bootloader is a major no go for me personally. I won't be purchasing another one anytime soon.

That's actually why I participate in these things. I don't know if ZTE is truly listening but if they are I want to be a part of the voice they listen to. If I don't like the direction that ZTE takes while I am an Axon 7 owner, I will look towards other manufacturers when it's time to upgrade. Like they say, vote with your wallet.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

Pssst Pssst  ​ they are always listening     lol no worries in that department, everything we discuss in this forum is brought to their attention and used in ongoing development of current and future devices. Nothing goes unnoticed I promise 

The Z-Community is the voice of the users.  If we shut up and say nothing - nothing happens.  If we vote for these polls, at least it gets from Z-Community to ZTE.  So that's Point A to point B.  From there we have to go by what ZTE ultimately determines to be in the best interest of all users.  Hopefully people are actually voting here and not just taking the time to crab about ZTE.  This poll has been up a day and "ONLY" 55 votes?  Seriously folks, how many of the 12,000+ active Z-Community members actually care about what this poll is asking?

494 (not sure if unique views) and only 55 people care enough about this question to feel compelled to vote?  What can we do to get more Z-Community members to vote.

• Custom rom based on stock Android. Cause choice is best!

• platypusplatypus Vancouver, BCPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is exactly what I want!

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 177 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I like stock Android as much as the next guy or gal, I truly enjoy custom ROMs based on stock. This allows you to customize the experience a bit more. If you didn't want to customize the ROM, you could simply not use the custom options. The difference is choice. A stock Android has no choice built in.

With Android, unlike iOS, you can customize virtually anything. Take a moment to look on XDA Forums and see various comparable phones with similar specs and the different options, like one for OP3 here (Resurrection Remix):

Customizations:-Navigation Bar-Enable/Disable Navbar-Navbar Button Customization-Navbar Slim Dim -Animate Dim-Dim Timeout Duration-Dim Alpha-Double Tap To sleep navbar-Navigation Bar left/Right handed mode Switch for landscape-Statusbar-Brightness Slider-Enable/Disable Show Notification Count-SuperUser Indicator Switch-Double Tap To sleep Statusbar-Carrier Label -Carrier Label Switch-Carrier label Colour-Carrier Label Size-Clock Customizations-Time & date-Clock Colour-Day & date Toogle-Center/Right/Left Clock Choice-Date Format-Clock Font Styles-Battery-Battery Bar customization-Battery Icon Customization(circle/landscape/Potrait and more)-Battery % Text-Network Traffic Indicator-Network Traffic Arrows Switch-Incoming/OutGoing Traffic-Network traffic Color-StatusBar Weather-Weather Color-Weather Position(left/right)-Weather Style-Weather Size-Animations-Toast Animations-ListView Animations-System Animations-Gestures-Gestures Anywhere Feature-3 Finger Swipe Screenshot Gesture-App Circle Bar-Choose apps in AppSidebar-Trigger Width-Trigger Hieght-Trigger Position-App Sidebar-Choose apps in App circle-Trigger Width-Trigger Hieght-Trigger Position-Pie-Pie Trigger(left ,Right ,Bottom)-Pie Targets-Pie Colors-More Pie Features-Recents Panel-Clear All button Switch-Clear All Tasks Switch-Clear All Button Location(Top right,Top Left,Top Center,Bottom Left,Bottom Right,Bottom Center)-Recents Search Bar-Full Screen Recents-Slim Recents-OmniSwitch-Cclock Widget-CLock And Alarm Customizations-Weather Panel Customizations-Calender Events-LockScreen-Lockscreen Bottom Shortcuts-Lockscreen General Shorcuts-100+ Icons for Shortcuts-Double Tap to Sleep Lockscreen-Lockscreen Media Art/Enable Disable-Quick PIN/Patter Unlock-LockScreen Blur-Lockscreen Blur Intensity-LockScreen Wallpaper-Lockscreen Weather Widget-Lockscreen Icons Color-Quick Settings Draggable Tiles-Customizable Tiles-Show Two Main Tiles Per Row-Dyanamic Tiles Adjustment-Notification Drawer-Weather Display Switch-LongPress Toogles to Enter Settings-Disable Immersive Mode Messages-Force Expand Notification-Task Manager Switch-Time Contextual Header(HD,Modern,Poly)-Quick PullDown Switch-Buttons-Backlight Timer-Backlight Strength-Advanced Reboot Menu-Power Menu Customizations-Power Off-Reboot(Recovery, Bootloader, Hot Reboot)-ScreenShot-Power Menu End Calls Switch-Restart SystemUI-Airplane Mode-ScreenRecord-On the Go Mode-Sound Panel-Home Button(For devices with HW keys Only)-Home Button answer call-Long Press Actions-Double Tap Actions-Menu Button(For devices with HW keys Only)-Short Press Actions-Long Press Actions-Search Button(If Device Supports)-Short Press Action-Long Press Action-Volume Buttons-Wake Up Device-Playback Control-Ringtone Volume Control-Keyboard Cursor Control-Swap Buttons on Landscape mode-Volume Key Answer-Miscellaneous-Selinux Switch (Switch Between Permissive and Enforcing Selinux if Device has Selinux Enabled)-cLock Shortcut-Disable Battery Saver Warning Color-Disable Fc Notifications-Wakelock Blocker-Media Scanner On Boot Behaviour-Cammera Shutter Sound Enable/Disable-SystemUI Tuner-Enabled By default-Removed Demo mode and Tweaked SystemUI Tuner As compared To AOSP-StatusBar Icons Cuzomizations-Quick Settings CustomizationsOther Features-Perfomance Profiles-LCD Density-Expanded Desktop Mode-Audio FX-Heads Up Switch-Live Display-Configurable 0,90,180,270 Degree Rotation-Lock Screen Autorotate Switch-Native Tap to Wake From Marshmallow-Double Tap Power Button To enable Camera gesture-Prevent Accidental Wakeup-Wake Phone on Charging Plug-Battery Light Customizations-Notification Light Customizations-Font Size

To be completely honest and not intentionally hurtful to ZTE, either option (stock based ROM or stock Android) is better than ZTE's skin.

To allow custom ROMs and be very developer friendly would cost ZTE nothing yet only possibly increase sales and goodwill. It is literally a win/win situation. It would put ZTE on the level of a company like OnePlus. Thank you for even considering such things. I'm glad I chose to buy an Axon 7.

• trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am all for stock Android, be it either from OEM or outside sources. The problem I see is twofold, 1) OEMs can't/won't resist screwing with the "stock" Android and will just HAVE to add in their own little tidbits and whatnot, and 2) ROMs from outside sources tend to do the exact same stinking thing. Stock is stock, and anything else is not.

• delusion77delusion77 Toronto, CanadaPosts: 1

I feel the only reason for Custom Roms is to explore or test out new features. If the phone receives updates continuously to stock or near-stock android, this provides the most constant, stable and up to date experience and helps solve some of the fragmentation in the Android market.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted stock also. I just love the purity. Also, I agree with lafester. Custom roms will inevitably come.

• Custom Roms,

Nothing adds to the longevity of a device and it's manufacturers brand recognition like continued support. Manytimes this is enabled by community support.

The manufacturer can't always continue supporting a device after long periods of time. Opening up the device to allow for custom Roms allows people to continue to squeeze every last drop of worth out of their device.

One of the reasons one plus has done so well for themselves is their continued cooperation and enablement of the community's ability to continue to support their devices. Allowing OnePlus themselves to focus on newer devices and updates.

Custom ROM support all day long. The only devices with custom Roms that don't work out are the ones where the manufacturer does their utmost to keep the device locked down. It's not in the interest of the consumer or brand.

• It's my belief that Google  won't allow OEMs to do the things that you desire because of what they perceive as security concerns.

• For purely practical reasons I chose stock android. ZTE needs to cater to as many people as possible as a company; therefore, since most people aren't power users ZTE should offer stock android out of the box. It will appeal to the greatest number of people since it will be relatively bug free and ready to go immediately. They should also allow the phone's bootloader to be unlocked without voiding the warranty to appease to power users, but for general public appeal the phone should ship with stock android. I would have chosen community developed roms if ZTE would provide a 1-click method of installing different community roms.

• I'm pissed ZTE would even ask this.  Allow us to unlock the bootloader and support the custom ROM community (within reason) as promised or the Axon 7 will be the first and last ZTE device for many.

I don't know if ZTE understands the sort of users a premium, unlocked device attracts.  We're geeks who want a good deal and the ability to own our device.  Period.  Couldn't care less what ROM comes stock.  We'll be repeat customers for a good phone and fully unlocked support.  Heck, we'll brag and hype up your product for you.

• Stock Android.

No point in pouring in ZTE's resources because the community will create ROMs anyway.

This will allow for the fastest updates to Android O and so on.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

After giving some of the choices some thoughts, I ended up picking I do not care.

Personally I feel that if a phone has what I need then I really do not care much if it has a skin or custom ROM. I think I tinker with custom rom is because I feel that the phone is just missing some nice feature that other phone has or a feature that is useful yet it is not available to my device until the next major update. I feel that the reason a lot of people go with stock android is because google has finally gotten android to a point that it is usable and not ugly. thus, having a stock or near stock will bring familiarity which allows people who jump from phone to phone or any android device to the next a much easier time since they would be familiar with everything and just have to learn a few new features and UI changes. However, there are still things that stock android is not doing as well as some other oem maker's implementation or a custom rom. Ultimately, it is hard to please everyone and we all have different needs and wishes, thus, I think having a near stock is probably the way to please most people. And offer the option for the minority to mod and tinker their phone would be something as added bonus. 

So it is really not custom or stock, but rather I think if it is done well then it is what I need. And since most big oem maker seems to start making their rom decent enough that none of them are terribly bad. I start to feel that security patch and long term support is a bigger deal for me than custom/oem vs stock rom. I think if a manufacturer is able to maintain good support and keep up with security patches and offer softwrae update that brings not just improvements but also software features, then it would be cool as it helps to keep the device secure, fresh, and added features so it wont' feel as dated.

• I voted Custom ROMs based on Stock Android.

Because, besides everything that was already stated above.

One advantage is and always will be.

Once ZTE decides to drop development in favor to the Axon-8.

(And be honest here. You all know it. Chinese OEM's like to do that. Simply to save money/resources.)

The custom ROM community will provide further updates and support for the Axon-7. For those of us that decide to stick to a phone for longer than a Year.

• yonoshiroyonoshiro Trinidad and TobagoPosts: 23

If  ZTE were minded to provide a stock Android ROM, such a decision would  benefit the consumer and provide the developer community with a stable and pure base upon which to work. The developer community would then be in a better position to yeild Custom ROMs based on the said stock Android ROM, as a natural result.

However, the provision of a stock ROM is only one step in the right direction. It is of equal importance that ZTE actively supports development by allowing/implementing a system for bootloader unlocking and by providing timely kernel sources, requirements for hardware repos, drivers, blobs and/or other such code-based necessities specific to the product in question. Without the foregoing, developers are constrained to kang what they can from other devices, which is inefficient and often times, produces unforseen bugs.

Thusly, whilst I personally prefer Custom ROMs based on Stock (and I voted for same), I adamantly maintain that such ROMs are best left in the hands of the Community.  The OEM ought to provide a pure stock Android base and all the necessary support and the community will do the rest to truly bring out the potential of the product in question.

This will ultimately be beneficial to both ZTE and its consumers.

• I like when i have a stock android i can customize to my choosing. It allows you to add your own personality to the smartphone and allows you to choose how you want it to function.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Stock Android. I can add the features I want. Google will always be around to keep things updated and control the bugs.

Glad to see this number has jumped to 140 votes as of 1/17/2017 @9:30 EST.  Keep in mind that there are over 12000 Active members so that's 1.2% of people chiming in on this poll.