Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

Most Important Security Feature

msieger2018msieger2018 United StatesPosts: 104 ✭✭✭✭

Most Important Security Feature 81 votes

Password on Bootup
67% 55 votes
Retina Scanner
7% 6 votes
No Power Menu on Lock Screen
6% 5 votes
Lock Screen Memo / Owner Information
7% 6 votes
Don't Care for Phone Security
11% 9 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Why not?

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

I voted password on boot up...I think initially the security starts there.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same here , password on boot is a must have on any device.

• tomhardytomhardy Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the phone isn't encrypted isn't this all meaningless?

• johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

the phone is encrypted .. but ... since there is no password at boot .. it uses a hard wired one or something ... it makes the encryption useless .. which is why everyone is voting for a boot password. Since you cant protect the boot with a password .. anyone can boot the phone .. once the phone is booted then the files are readable .. if you had the boot password and the phone couldn't be booted .. then the data is not readable and encrypted.

If retina or fingerprint scanning is as "strong" or stronger than a password cryptologically, if believe there is mathematical equivalence (one-to-one mapping) among the methods. I'm trying to say that any of these methods can generate a key for encryption.

not sure what you are saying here .. yes .. fingerprint is stronger .. and if you could use a fingerprint to lock the boot it would be better than a password ... but the issue right now is .. you can't stop anyone who gets a hold of your phone from booting it .. and once its booted the files are accessible ... so I guess what we are saying here is .... it needs something to stop anyone who gets a hold of your phone from being able to boot it ... a pin .. a password .. a finger print scan ... something ... anything ... lol...

but then again .. i guess you can use the argument that this only helps if someone gets a hold of your phone when it is off and how many times is your phone actually off...I mean .. even if my phone is on and locked and you need a finger print to access the phone ... all you have to do is plug it into a computer and all the files are accessible even if the phone screen is locked so I guess its kind of a moot point ..

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you were saying.. I'm not real familiar with encryption but I do know that the Axon 7 needs something to stop anyone from booting the phone or any encryption it has is rendered useless.

Yes, agree the phone must be encrypted with a key that only the user knows.  Just saying that passwords, retina or fingerprint scans can be used as a generate the encryption key-it doesn't have to be a password.  I believe the phone can be on or off and information accessed with no problem-just boot into ADB mode and side-load anything you want to access the phone.

Yeah I guess that is possible to boot into ADB mode but ... maybe if the password or whatever was implemented .. you would have to use the password before it would boot into ADB too .. before it would boot into anything ... but maybe I'm wrong ... not sure how it works on every other phone that didn't remove that feature out of stock android.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are weird but I just wanted to get in on the action.  All of these suggestions lend to physical security which is already covered with standard AOSP security model.  As for biometrics, you have a fingerprint sensor, face and voice recognition- you don't need a stinkin' optical sensor.  Owner information on the lockscreen makes the most sense if we're talking about doing something to the current ZTE OS.

Other than that, device encryption is important as well as maintaining patch levels.  If ZTE wants to get more secure they can turn to some of the additional features of something like Copperhead OS​ - an AOSP fork with a focus on hardening the kernel and Android overall.  Nougat will also be more secure since they pulled in several easy Copperhead OS patches submitted by its developer upstream.

If ZTE wants something unique they could focus on additional privacy features from 3rd party apps we install.  The biggest weak point of Android is us because we install apps from the Google Play Store, random app stores, and all over.  Anything that could be baked into the operating system and kernel itself to protect our data from outbound traffic requested by various apps that passes unaware is a welcome feature.  Right now we have to rely on apps such as malware scanners, no-root firewalls, CyanogenMod Privacy settings, XPosed modules such as MinMinGuard, Protect My Privacy, XPrivacy, and Sensor Disabler.  Apps such as My Android Tools, NetGuard, AdGuard, Lumen Privacy Monitor, Adaway.  That's where my interests go.

Perhaps I was just thinking in context of how A7 has security implemented now.  I would be happy if ASOP security were implemented. I actually also voted for screen info.

• jose-mxljose-mxl SunnyvalePosts: 61

There was concerns earlier in the forum because some email policies will require to have password on boot. There was a thread with many many replies about it. Those are the things that I would assume shall get addressed quick so corporate users are not hurt by the lack of them.

• syaoransyaoran Manassas, VA/Toronto, CanadaPosts: 185 ✭✭

I like and use the swipe password on boot for my Nexus 6P.  Nothing is 100% secure though and I really don't understand what difference no power options on the lock screen would make.  You can easily hold the power button for 10 seconds to shut off a phone. 

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Password on bootup.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely agree with you, the need is not for additional biometric type security but for privacy/security within Android itself.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you have to explicitly enable USB debugging to get it into adb mode?  I only enable that when I want to use adb.  Or is there some other way to get into adb without unlocking the phone?

If you boot into recovery there is a setting for ADB sideload update.  I turned off developer mode and can sideload a file using ADB.  Tried it with a text file and it transfers with no problem-after transfer got an error of course since it wasn't a zip file-don't want to possibly wreck my phone.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Having a Password on boot up is the best option.... with that being said.... there needs to be a security feature of how to get around that also......

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most important security feature is regularly released security updates.

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

and being very careful of what open WiFi networks you connect to.

This discussion has been closed.